3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 818 times)

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads
« on: December 15, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
What kind of broadheads do you usae?What kind do you think iI should use?All I've used so far was 145 field points.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Gene:
Sharp one's.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Ha Ha How about brands. Come on man be more specific
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
If ya tell us what game you will be hunting and some info about your arrow choice and bow weight bet lots of us will have ideas for you.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Don't really know the game,but here's this:Herters 50@28  Easton carbon 30-32 inches  I usually shoot 145 field tips   probably boar or deer.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Do you drive a Ford,Chevy or Dodge?There is a favorite for everyone just like cars.There are many good brands out there,but it all comes down to personal preference.If you look at the bow kills on this site and the broadheads used they will be a good indicator.I like a head that I can sharpen easily with a good rockwell hardness so it will hold an edge well. Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Thanks

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Zwickey or Magnus make great broadheads as do many others. It would be hard to go wrong with either of these two though.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
I have had good luck with the aforementioned Zwickey and Magnus.  Killed two does this year with the Zwickey and just traded for some Magnus I's.  Any of them will do their job if you do yours.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
Many of the common brand names you see here are NOT sharp enough to hunt with when they are new.
It is not difficult to sharpen these heads. If you don`t know how, don`t worry, you can learn.
Being able to resharpen a broadhead has distinct advantages, and it is part of the process of becoming a traditional hunter. Personally, I enjoy sharpening broadheads.

Muzzy Phantoms, and Steelforce are two brands I
can think of off hand that are hunt ready right out of the package, with weight variations that will work with your set up. Both can be resharpened, and both have a cut on contact tip to help in penetration.  Good luck.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Take a little time to read Dr Ashby's report and you'll find that a stout 2 blade gets it done when others fail. That being said I'll name a brand I like, the 160gr STOS. If the Magnus was as heavy as the STOS, Flatlander wouldn't be getting mine. Mark, they are in the mail Monday.
lll

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
All good advice above.

You want a broadhead that will fly straight, group well, is easy to sharpen, and is strong enough to do the job when you hit bone.

If you have never sharpened a broadhead then you will want to start with one that is fairly sharp out of the box. The sharpest out of the pack broadhead is without question the Silverflame but, at $75 for 3 heads they'd better be! Steelforce, Muzzy Phantom, Magnus Stingers are all reasonably sharp out of the pack too.

I like Zwickys and Magnus I and II also Grizzlys but I wouldn't recomend any of these until you get some sharpening experience under your belt.

Some guys use replacement blade broadheads and there are many good ones out there. Just don't necessarily believe that "razor sharp and ready to hunt with" stuff. Check each blade.

The most important thing is acuracy. The sharpest broadhead in the world won't make up for poor shot placement. So experiment with different ones until you find one that groups well for you and you're confident in.

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Many of us have our favorites when it comes to broadheads.  I am a Zwickey fan mainly because they work well, and don't feel the need to shoot much else.

Since you said you may hunt deer and boar, I would surely recommend a sharp 2 blade head.  My belief is that a good hit in the vitals on an animal will be a killing shot with most any sharp broadhead.

Good brands are like mentioned above: Magnus, STOS, Steelforce, Zwickeys and many others.

If you play around with the short 25 grain inserts you can produce about a 145-150 grain head out of most of these.

Good luck.
Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
LandCruiser and Grizzlies
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Thank you all.Which one's are great quality and aren't all that expensive.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Which one's are great quality and aren't all that expensive.

Well, now you have it narrowed right down. My personal feeling is that Zwickey has the "most bang for the buck". And the Ace heads are pretty dang good at a reasonable price.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Thanks

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
I have not used traditional very long so I asked the guy at the archery store what is a good broadhead. He recommended the B-52 by G-5. Anybody know these heads? How good are they?
                                 Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Stay away from the B-52 as they are pricey and a small cutting dia. I really like Snuffers as they are a tough head and if ya buy the Snuffer sharpening kit very easy to get shaving sharp. They also come in a variety of weights. You could shoot the 125 with a short aluminum adapter and after sharpening be right around that 145 grain mark. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Thanks Shawn. I hav'nt opened them yet and will trade em in fer some of the ones mentioned on the TG. Good deal.
                     Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©