INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Did Fred Bear build bows  (Read 889 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Did Fred Bear build bows
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Guys I know this is probably a dumb question so please be gentle.  But did Fred Bear build any bows?  I assume that once his company got large he had several bowyers but what is the story?

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did Fred Bear build bows
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
The simple answer I yes...he got into the archery business by building what we call selfbows today...the details I will leave to others

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
There is a lot of info on the internet about this, but in a short answer...yes.  

More than one source states that he was taught by the great Art Young to make bows and other archery equipment.
Lon Scott

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
If you want to learn about Fred Bear and Bear Archery I'll recommend the Bear Archery DVD set.  One video in particular-the History of Bear Archery is very good, and narrated by Fred himself.  He talks quiet a bit about the early days at Bear Archery.    Also a couple books that covers some of the history of the company is "Fred Bear" a biography by Charles Kroll and "I Remember Papa Bear" by Dick Lattimer.   Both are great reads.

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks Everyone,

I just brought it up because I have heard multiple people tell me they have a bow built by Fred Bear but after a few questions they just mean that that have an older Bear Brand Bow.  So it just always makes me wonder of the all the bows that the Fred Bear company sold.  How many did Fred actually build or take part in building.  I suppose I just need to do a little more reading

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Just a bit of a warning...once you start exploring the world of Fred Bear it can be kind of addictive...just a great piece of traditional archery history...and you will connect with some fascinating and knowledgeable folks along the way...so no that was not a silly question...that was a great opening question

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
Fred actually started out in Detroit, building quivers and arm guards and then hired Nels Grumley to be his bowyer.
Yes he built some boys back in the early days but generally speaking, Fred was a business man and managed Bear Archery so well that it's still around today. Most other archery companies that started back in the 40's and 50's are long gone.
There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
here is the bow that I received yesterday. Yes Fred built bows. This was his 13th bow built which the number 13 stamped on upper limb signifies. There is a number 26 stamped in lower limb. Not sure if that means 26 pounds or 1926. There is a picture on page 68 in the book "Biography of an Outdoorsman" with Fred drawing this bow in front of a Ford with a 32 license plate.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Nice stuff. Old Papa Bear could do it all...!! I believe it helps Bears be special to me....
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©