3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow or recurve for hunting?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow or recurve for hunting?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
I shoot high wrist recurves better then anything so that is what I hunt with but everyone is different. I have shot LB's with recurve grips and do OK but I'm a curve man at heart. You have to figure out what works best for you and shoot that bow untill your arm falls off-then shoot it some more.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Ive always wanted a longbow like ive said in the past im real in to the Indians so thats why ive always liked them. Im so glad I got one.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
I like both...see my signature  :rolleyes:  

I'm thinking the Katani will be my bow of choice from now on though. The grip design allows me to use a low wrist, yet still locate exactly the same every time. It is also fast, quiet, shock free and short enough for any application. Hmmm, sounds like the perfect bow!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
I enjoy shooting my longbow the most.  But I shoot tighter groups with a recurve????
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
I used to be a recurve guy but got bit by the longbow bug. Still use a recurve for fish though(it's the only bow I own that lets me mount a reel to it).
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
I like both but when it comes down to hunting for me the longbow is king.:)Quiet is what I like and I have not seen a recurve yet that was quiet enough for me.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Wilson:
Choose which ever you shoot the best and feel most confident with.  Many an animal has fallen to each in the past and more will in the future.  
That pretty much sums it up. I've seen far too many people run into problems trying to change what they do based on what works best for someone else.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
There's no reason why you can't shoot both well.
I have several bows with different grips and different lengths/styles.  It only takes a few arrows to get used to each one of them, and at times I feel like shooting a longbow rather than the recurve...and vice, versa.

Curveman....short risers are not just trendy; they allow for longer working limbs to get the same length bow as a long riser and are much smoother in that aspect.   The Kodiak Mag and the Kodiak Hunter are short risers that have been around for decades, for good reason.  For hunting purposes, the short riser makes a lot of sense.

Here's some of my forty-plus year old short riser bows:

:knothead:

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Currently trendy like many things that swing back and forth.

Trade-off at best George. I stand by what I said. I know bowyers who make both who would too: "The benefit of a long riser is that it shortens the length of the working limb, which makes the bow very dead in the hand upon release; and also makes the bow very fast, stable and quiet. We have taken an already outstanding performing bow to the next step. We believe the Thunder Stick III to be the ultimate in performance in a longbow design."
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
To each his own, Curveman, but since archery is such a personal sport, there will never be one best.  There will always be a line of diminishing returns, heavy/light...long/short, everywhere we look 8^).

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Whatever your preference.  I made a hybrid TD longbow that I love @ 64" but has cost me a couple of shots in a treestand that I could have made with my 56" ChekMate Hunter I that I used last season.  That extra length does impact the shots back to my left (I'm a righty).  That said, the two standing shots I've taken were picture perfect and best I can tell, the deer didn't flinch until the arrow hit home.  The longbow does seem quieter.  Like someone said earlier, with a hybrid type R/D bow, you can have the best of both worlds - especially in a TD.  Little longer, heavier riser for stability with a recurve type locator grip, but the quiet shooting of the longbow.  Only problem now is do I try to make a 60" TD R/D longbow this year?  Hmmmmm....  Good luck on your choice.

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Either a longbow or a recurve

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 04:31:00 AM »
Agreed George!  :D
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 05:20:00 AM »
I still think that if you want to be the best you can be.....you cannot keep switching back and forth between bows.......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
I shoot the recurve more consistant than I do a longbow but with that said Ive killed Deer with both . I do love the design of the hybrid longbows and love to shoot them but I have to say I shoot the Recurve better .

Britt
" Live long and prosper "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©