INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Oddball static Grizzly  (Read 837 times)

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
Oddball static Grizzly
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
It appears to be a 1953 Grizzly with a Kodiak shelf and a custom pistol grip.  

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oddball static Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
It appears to me that the grip and shelf were done at some time after the bow left the factory...lots of things can happen over a span of 60 years

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Thanks for looking DDave.  I had wondered about that possibility as well since some of the work is factory quality and other aspects are not.  

Brad

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
We sometimes forget that today's collectibles were just bread and butter items in their day...that bow is still a nice bit of Bear archery history that someone decided needed a bit of customising to their preferences...the first time I went to a big small bore rifle shoot I was amazed at how willing they were to take a wood rasp to a stock that did not fit...even back in the eighties those were 1500 dollar guns

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
That bow looks to me to be very shootable...if you have not already done so string it up and as long as the limbs are reasonably straight put it to work...as Chuck says they are meant to be bent

DDave

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 02:37:00 AM »
I am a little concerned that the cross section may be a little thin if a non-factory sight window was cut into it but it is a great shooter.  This is my first static tipped Bear and I really do like the quietness, strung profile and speed.  I've passed over a number if them in the past and I wish now that I hadn't, even if it is only for the different feel.

Brad

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Brad don't know how to do pics on this computer-not my regular machine-so I just now measured a bunch of static Grizzlies. The dual shelf '54 is 5/8" the others were closer to 3/4". Bear made a dual shelf again in '55/56 they really narrow in crossection, one measured just under a half inch. Hope that helps.

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:41:00 AM »
Thanks Bjorn, that does give some peace of mind.  

My sight window is 5/8 at its thickest, tapering to 9/16 at each end and an 1 1/8 long.

I still need to scale the bow but it feels like its just under 50 lbs so it should be adequate.  (I hope!)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©