INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Asbell Bighorns  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell Bighorns
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Anyone collect Asbell Bighorn era stuff?

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell Bighorns
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
I don't collect them but I owned one at one time.What a great bow.It was a takedown & probabily one of the sweetest bows I've ever shot.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
I don't collect them but I owned one at one time.What a great bow.It was a takedown & probabily one of the sweetest bows I've ever shot.

Offline labrunner10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
I just pick one of his takedown bows up and I can't wait till it gets here.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Ive had quite a few of them through the years.  Durable easy shooting hunting weapons.  I've always felt they epitomized what a hunting bow should look and feel like. Bombproof impregnated maple riser, wide stable limbs, earthy tones, dull epoxy finish.  Not speed demons but who cares.

I currently have a 1984 60" 51# one-piece recurve with original Bighorn 6 arrow quiver.  Very sweet.  

Shick is a Bighorn guy I think.  I'm sure there are several others around here.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
Here's the deal.  I have a signed, handwritten letter of Fred's on Bighorn Stationary and a brochure I believe from the period Fred was involved in the business.  It was in a box of stuff given me by another and I don't have any real interest in the letter as a collectable.  I've hunted with Fred and consider him a friend and that is better than a letter.   :)

If someone has a collection of Bighorn stuff and this letter would add something I'd pass it on to them.  So, if you guys can find me a candidate and they want it, it's there's.  Fred has an impressive handwriting style and the letter head is cool as well.

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Liquid Amber - As Trap said Schick is a bighorn collector. He would be a good candidate. He mostly goes for ram hunters - the bighorn longbow.

I have a ram hunter and a TD. That recurve is probably the bow I have hunted with more than any other bow.  Great bows. I'm always on the look out for them, but not the collector per se that Schick is. He knows a lot about them.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
I have a couple,lefty, that I like to shoot plus another couple of the KOM era. My friend King Cavalier sold his original collectionsome 8/9  bows, but no lefties there.
I really like those bows.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
That's a very generous offer Cliff.  

Dennis is no doubt the biggest collector of Bighorn gear that I know.  If he doesn't respond here soon, I'll try to round him up.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
I'm here fellows. Believe me, I'm not a 'collector' as much as I am someone who's owned a lot of Bighorns over the years.  Early on it was the takedowns, which I believe for me were the best hunting bows that I have found.  Classic looks, indestructable, smooth.  Like our friend Trap states, not speed burners but what the hey.  I remember I tried an early fast flite string on my 85 takedown back in the day.  Loud, but shot my 2215's an average of 196'.  Of course I was drawing 30".  Talked to Fred about it and he highly recommended I don't make a habit of using that string and I was lucky it was still in one piece.  Anyway, not to rattle on, once Fred came out with the Ramhunter longbow, it's been my go to bow.  Still have my '84 TD, but the Ramhunter is what I measured all other longbows against.  We've gone thru a lot of owners of Bighorn Custom Bows, but the originals to me are still the best.
Cliff, I'm in touch with G Fred quite a bit and if someone here would like to own 'the letter'
or anything else you have to offer that is fine with me.  It truly may mean more to Trap, Ted, or Felix.  Other than always owning a Bear Takedown, G Fred and Bighorn got me into traditional archery as we know it.
Always willing to talk Bighorn.
Ted's father Tom, who recently passed away, and I were Bighorn 'cheerleaders' here on the east coast.
Have a good day.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Whitetails2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
I have a collection of Bighorn bows from the Asbell era including the first bow that was produced as well as one of each model that produced...I also have the Bighorn bow that was made for Glenn St. Charles which he also signed...12 bows in all.  Have a Picture of Glenn signing the bow and some documentation on the bows, but do not have any of the brochures from Bighorn.
If the offer is still available, I would love to have it!
Whitetails2

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
'tails2,  pm sent.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
we need pictures Mr Beaumont.  Please share

Offline Whitetails2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Will get some pics up in the next few days....

Offline Whitetails2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Here are the pics of my collection...

Offline Whitetails2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
Another pic

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »

The first bow I ever ordered was this Bighorn back in 1983.  Picked up the 54" take-down below a few years later.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Whitetails2-  I have never seen a Bighorn like those bottom two.  Can you tell us more about them?

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 03:52:00 AM »
'tails, that's a fine group of bighorns.  The Colorados just about cover all the 'flavors'.  I believe the bottom one piecers are from the "King" era, prior to having the 'horns glued on.  I've seened the Striped one before. Felix might be able to tell us more.
Bob, that's a nice looking 54"er.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Whitetails2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
According to the documentation I have on the bows...All twelve were made during the Asbell era prior to March 1991 when King of the Mountain purchased Bighorn Bowhunting  Company...The bottom short one piece recurve in the photo is the Number one Bighorn certified by G fred and was displayed in the office showroom for over 15 years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©