INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Got my first 1959 Kodiak (pics added pg 2)  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got my first 1959 Kodiak (pics added pg 2)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »
What no pictures Ray?
Jack Shanks

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jack Shanks:
What no pictures Ray?
Jack has called me out-a major Tradgang Fauxpas.  OK, so here's some interim pictures. The glass needs another wet sanding and a final coat of finish. That will have to wait until the final coat for the handle area, which is a ways away yet. Note how porous that handle is.  It's just soaking up the finish, but I don't want to use a 'filler' on it.  You gotta love the contrast between the burnt orange glass and the dark chocolate handle. One tip is my replacement that was done from scratch with white and brown glass and the second is the original that's still on the lower limb. I just can't match those layers of micarta colors, but didn't want to take if off unless it pops off.  

New upper tip:
  [/url] [/IMG]

Original tip still on lower limb:
[/url] [/IMG]  

What rich color:
  [/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Note in the last picture the chocolate handle wood didn't get cut away totally with the purple heart sight window on the belly side of the sight window.  Also, I'm not sure what the two 'dots' were for. It almost looks like plugs. The original ink specs were barely visible and were probably black. I just thought the gold stood out more and looked better. Also, the last two bows I've redone were a 1955 and 1957 maple handle Kodiak's. Fairly plain Jane compared to the woods and orange glass backing on this bow.  It's a genuine pleasure to unravel the beauty in these bows. The draw was super pleasing before I started refinishing after repairing the limb tip, so I'm anxious to finish it and send some arrows down range.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Looks great  ;)  I hope one day to own a 59 kodiak..... Would be a happy man  :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©