INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Signature bow  (Read 1378 times)

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
Signature bow
« on: May 03, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Hello History Buffs and Collectors,

I am fortunate enough to have acquired a pristine, never been strung or shot "Signature Bow" and consider this one of my most valued possessions. A true family heirloom.

Questions for all:

How many of these bows were made?

What did they use to finish these bows off? The finish is absolutely flawless and amazing to the eyes and to the touch. Its so thick and rich.

For those who string and shoot these bows, does this flexing hurt the finish? Does it have the propensity to crack,craze or ruin it in any way?

Do you think stringing this bow and shooting it since it hasnt ever been strung will damage it?

My initial thoughts on this bow would be to string it once a year like on New Years while out at my remote cabin in Alaska and have whoever is there the opportunity to shoot one arrow through it? Making it a Family Tradition, one to pass down to the next generation to come.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

HighLife
There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Signature bow
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Just my thoughts, but if you string and shoot it, it will loose value. Most pepole collect these and do not shoot them and they command hight dollor, upwards of $7000 sometimes more, so, up to you just remember if you shoot it and have the money invested in it, you will not get it back if shot.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
I never plan on selling it ... didnt obtain it for any kind of monetary investment but rather for the historical value. As stated, I dont plan on shooting it regularly but rather to make it more of a special family tradition to be passed on through the generations.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
I had one few years ago,but I never shot it because it was RH and I am a lefty. I kept it for a while as a collector item,but then I sold it to someone that was able to use it.
If it was of my dexterity I would have done what you are planning with yours,use it make some Mojo with it,it was intended to be used.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by highlife:
I never plan on selling it ... didnt obtain it for any kind of monetary investment but rather for the historical value. As stated, I dont plan on shooting it regularly but rather to make it more of a special family tradition to be passed on through the generations.
Then you answered your own question. It's a moot point whether it gets shot or not.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
I have asked numerous questions other than shooting the bow. In fact, the shooting of the bow dialog is the least of my concerns.

I have asked how many were made?

I have asked about the finish on the bow and if stringing and shooting the bow could destroy it.

So, for those that have advise on those specifics I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
You always take a chance stringing and shooting a bow new or old. The only thing I think your going to hurt is the value. You can always get another set of limbs to shoot that bow with, and save the originals. This will prevent any wear potential damage to original and preserve some of the bows value. I personally would be careful not to toss the bow around or set it somewhere that can mark up the riser when in the field/woods shooting.

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Thats funny, trust me, there wont be any tossing around of this bow in the woods or laying it on a scratch able surface.

The value to me and my family would go up if shot on a special occasion but ... wont do that if there is a good chance it would disturb the finish on the limbs thats why I am asking for some input from those that have them and actually string them up and shoot them. I have other limbs to use but it wouldnt be as special!!!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
It's a relatively rare item since only about 160 or so were made.  I believe Fred had intentions to make a thousand copies, but....
Lon Scott

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
if you do decide to string and shoot it expect minor cracks in the finish and the value to go from ~$5000 to ~$2500.I'd buy a Commemorative for <$400 and make it the special cool bow for the family to shoot instead.  :bigsmyl:  Colectors lose sleep over these things.  :D

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
It's yours to do with as you please. Life is short, enjoy the bow in whatever means you see fit. They were meant to be bent. Who cares about someone's opinion as to what they are worth. Less than 200 were produced from my understanding. The heavy clear coat will eventually show signs of use, but again who cares. They aren't particularly rare bows, I've seen dozens for sale over the years both online and privately. I have bows that are much rarer in that there are only one or two of them discovered and documented. How many of you have seen a 62 inch 1955 Kodiak? or a 62 inch 1960 Kodiak Special? (not the Deluxe). These are very rare bows and I shoot them both no worries.... skookum.. string 'er up.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
I'd shoot it I think, couldn't resist! LOL

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
True.More Grumleys made than Signatures.Get a Grumley and shoot the heck out of it.   :goldtooth:

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
A Grumley would be sweet ... I want one! lol

The only reason I am concerned about the finish on this bow is due to the fact that the clear coat is so heavy and thick (thats what makes it so beautiful like no other bow I have seen or handled)

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Trade you a Grumley for signature ;-)

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
Not quite ready to part with it ... lol, just got it. I tell you what, its impressive to look at, impressive to hold and admire in person. Pictures just dont do this thing justice.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
I imagine. Enjoy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©