INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: green stripe risers  (Read 1440 times)

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
green stripe risers
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Anyone have a list showing the years of production in relation to their serial numbers? Also was 1982 the year for the Fred Bear signed production riser, and I wonder how many were made?
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: green stripe risers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Click on the "search" above and type in "green stripe".  There is a great deal of info there and some intersting stuff.
Lon Scott

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Blackhawk, I have actually done that quite often but have never seen a good listing for identifying the green stripes years by serial numbers. You are surely right on a wealth of knowledge and information.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
Kenny,
  I also have looked to narrow down the years, and yet to find exact. Do you have a particular number your looking to trace?

Shane

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
The green stripe was introduced in the 1981 catalog as "new for this year".  

Here's some possible dates based on people giving information on other sites.  It's not necessarily accurate or complete and the information varies with some higher numbers before lower ones.  For some there is documentation for others it's the owner's claim. The ones with an X have documentation to support the year.  In general there is a pattern.  It almost seems as though they skipped some of the 4XXX.  The 4465 listed here is a LH and out of sequence with the other bows but there is a photo of the box for documentation.

B-24XX 1981
 B-33XX 1982
 B-37XX 1983
 B-39XX 1984
 B-4465 1982 X LH bow from photo of box
 B-4972 1983 X
 B-502X 1983 X  Signed by Fred Bear 1983
 B-5234 1984 X
 B-5303 1984
 B-5960 1987 Has sight and quiver inserts
 B-6092 1987
 B-62XX 1989
 B-66XX 1990
 B-69XX 1994

It seems that somewhere in the late 80s (high 5000's serial number) they switched from Futurewood to laminated Birch Actionwood.

In 1987 (6XXX range) they started adding additional inserts for sights and quiver.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Got a new Green Stripe.  Bought my first Bear Takedown in 1984, sold it somewhere down the road and, although I've owned a few others over the years never had another green stripe until now.  This one should be from about the time my first one was made.  I've progressed back to where I started.

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Thanks guys, this all helps.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
Congrats, on one of my old handles Phil! It's a beauty that came out of MI when I bought it, and your now owner 3 since me. Hope it has finally found a good home to stay.

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Thanks Shane.  It will be with me for a long time. I have no plans to get rid of it.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
I may need a little help here...I have been shopping for a Takedown for a friend and I keep getting these twinges in my buying fingers...pictures like that are not helping Phil, although it appears I like the gold stripes better...so is that green stripe simply the green Futurewood of the greenie riser ilk?
DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I guess but I'm not sure.  On some bows it seems to be a different shade of green than the green futurewood bows.  On others it looks similar.  Of all the green stripe variations I like the ones below serial number 6000 the best.  I'm not crazy about all the inserts they put in starting in the high 5000 range.  I don't care for the birch actionwood risers that started at the same time.

I had risers built in 2000 and newer but never cared for the laminated actionwood/dymondwood materials.  The one I think looks the best is the bubinga.  I have one of those and love it.  I think the new model with bubinga and black are good looking too.

That's just my taste.  Some folks really like the laminated actionwood look.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks Phil...I really like nice bubinga...I just traded for a Shakespeare Kaibab with some gorgeous zebrawood sandwiched between very nice bubinga...I think if I go with a takedown it will be a new bubinga as well...and I think I am going to see if my bowyer buddy will redo my 1963 KS

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
Here you go DDave

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
My favorite green stripe was an early one that is just below the signed type 1 B handle. That Green strip had a fat grip and high shelf like the original type 1's. I am glad that I was able to pass it on to a friend of mine. At least I will know where it is, and not a long mile travel to see it.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
Phil's new handle is in the bunch also

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©