3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: silver flame broadheads  (Read 813 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
silver flame broadheads
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
any body using these broadheads other than the price just wondering what you think of them.

doug77

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: silver flame broadheads
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
I have not used them but you'll hear hear from a lot of guys that say they are the best out there. The way I look at it is if I ever do a once in a life time hunt were I need a heavy non-wood arrow, a Silver Flames going to be on the front of it. The critters walking around my neck of the woods don't need anything special to kill them as long as it's sharp and stout.
lll

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Same here
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
You can get a huge wound channel with the Simmons broadheads for about half the price. I like the concave design, too.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
JBiorn how are those simmons to sharpen

doug77

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
A piece of cake, especially with the steelmaster sharpener. They come from the factory with a good burred edge already, so a round diamond home followed by the crock sticks will produce a scary edge in no time at all.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
I have used the Flames for four years now 180grs. They are second to none in quality and sharpness. You will never find a broadhead as sharp as a flame out of the package. And I challange anyone to get any other broadhead as sharp as a flame it's not possible!
hunt it

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
hunt it do they hold an edge very well, seem's i am always touching up my broadheads not that that's a bad thing just looking for some new broadheads

doug77

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
If I were rich I would have a quiver full of them, but for now Zwickeys are more in my price range.

I have only heard very good things about them.
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
They stay sharp unless you shoot them into game or ground. They will not need resharpening unless you use them. I have found that the razor rake from Cabelas brings em back to as close to original as possible. Nothing else I have tried comes close.
hunt it

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by hunt it:
I have used the Flames for four years now 180grs. They are second to none in quality and sharpness. You will never find a broadhead as sharp as a flame out of the package. And I challange anyone to get any other broadhead as sharp as a flame it's not possible!
Hunt, I'll take you up on that challenge!   :readit:    :D

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
I agree with Sharpster.  I have shot most of the two bladed broadheads on the market.  They all make a good hole in an animal, when sharpened properly.  I don't know what dictates one broahead being sharper then the other,  but if you do your homework, the broadhead will do it's job, and  your quarry will go down.  Just my thoughts!

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
guys i sell them and unless you really see how sharp they are you can't comprehend what sharp really is !!!
have a friend who is well known in archery circles who is well known for his sharpening abilities ,he took one look and said no way i can come close .

one customer tested broadheads for a trip to Africa he bought 13 x 3 packs of silver flames to test and compared to all the ones from all the ones made in North America , must have bought several thousand dollars worth of blades from Grizzlies to Zwickies  to test as he was going after cape buff . he wqas very dissappointed in what was made here in North America weights were off , not sharp , fell apart in the testing .he got his Buf with Silver Flames .
another bought a 3 pack of 125 gr took them to Africa shot a zebra stallion broadhead lodged in opposite shoulder bone ,trackers cut it  out of the bone and returned it to him , he tried it on an arm and still stripped hair , so he stropped and put it back in his quiver . when he got back he ordered a doz , last june i sent him 3 doz more
does he like them you bet .

most people can sharpen broadheads and that is a fact ,and knowing that what you are putting on the end of your arrow is the best out there sure adds to your confidents ----- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Ron,

Your welcome to try, pick any one you want and send it to me or Herb or JC for that matter he shoots some Flames as well. There is nothing that even comes close - nothing! I use surgical scalpels for alot of my cape work. I would say that the Flames come sharper than a scalpel. You must remember that we are talking a hollow ground edge. I gave a Flame to one of the guys in KME booth at Denton this past summer he spent half an hour on it and only he could not come anywhere close to new. The flames will not shave hair out of the box, they take all the skin under the hair off as well. Marcus guarantees that you can shoot a new Flame into any foam target 50 times and it will still shave hair and he's right! Scary scary sharp and my money says you will not duplicate this no matter what anyone says.
hunt it

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Dave,
The guy at the KME booth at Denton was Me! I think a half an hour is quite a stretch. I remember working on it for a couple of minutes but, what you don't know is that I wasn't putting that much effort into it because knowing what they cost I didn't want to take a chance of messing it up and having to buy you a new one.

I totally agree that they are the sharpest head out of the pack, second to none. I just know from experience that any two blade can be made every bit as sharp as a Flame.

How about making it a real challenge? How about a Grizzly El Grande? or a Zwicky Delta, or better yet both. We'll need an impartial judge though...

Any volunteers?   :thumbsup:  

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Ron,

I'd say JC make a good judge! He's a STOS lover from way back and sure likes em sharp. He has a few Flames and his biggest beef has been resharpening the things. Pick any head that turns your crank. JC sure would like to see how sharp you can get a STOS, he uses a paper wheel.
hunt it

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Send me a STOS----I'll make it spooky sharp for you. Just the fact that the Silverflame IS as sharp as it is says that its entirely possible to sharpen anything that sharp.

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
Guys, I shoot Wensel Woodsmans and sharpen them myself. I also have a dozen arrows tipped with Zwickey Deltas. Recently,I double lunged two whitetails without pass-thrus with the WW. So, I purchased a 3 pack of SilverFlames (180 grains, just to see if they were really worth the money. Once you hold one in your hand, you will realize why they are $20 a piece. They are the ULTIMATE broadhead. The absolute best head I have ever seen in over 20 years of bowhunting. Now, do I tip every arrow with a SilverFlame?...No I am not a rich man. I still shoot WW and Zwickeys. But the SF's have their place in my quiver. You may rest assured that when the shot absolutely counts, or the next time I draw on a big game animal (for me that is probably a whitetail or hog) the Silverflame will be on the tip of the arrow. They are SCARY SHARP and THICK out of the package.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Unless there is a magical machine in Germany it should be possible to reproduce the same edge.

So how does Marcus, the factory, sharpen the Silver flame?  Are they machine ground, some special set up, or maybe tricky little black forest elves?

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
You won't find a better broadhead, and I don't plan on switching anytime soon. They are very easy to sharpen, are wicked sharp out of the package, and hold an edge like crazy. They penetrate like mad and are very tough.
Don't believe me?
I shot a doe this season with the SilverFlame head. I was about 12 feet up in a stand when a doe came in at 10 yards, very slightly quartering to me. As I drew she looked up at me, and when I released, she jumped the string. My arrow went where I was looking, but the doe was a few feet lower. When she hit the ground immediately I knew I'd hit spine, so I quickly grabbed another arrow (Eclipse broadhead on that one) and double-lunged the downed deer, finishing her off quick. I pulled the broadhead out of the spine, noting that the broadhead had completely cleared the spine, going a few inches through the off side of the vertebrae, and coming pretty close to exiting the offside skin.

The next morning, when I went to clean the arrow off and sharpen up the broadhead, out of curiosity, I tested the edge on my arm. IT STILL POPPED HAIR OFF MY ARM WITH LITTLE TO NO PRESSURE! I was shocked! This is incredible performance.
We were able  to examine the wound channel the broadhead made. Upon entry, the Silver Flame severed a rib at an angle. Continuing on, it dead-centered a vertebrae. After completely severing it, the broadhead continued another few inches and stopped there. I was EXTREMELY pleased and impressed by this performance!
The bow I was using was a DAS set at 52#@30", my draw length, with arrows weighing only 435 grains total.
Craig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©