INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: UPDATE!! What is under a '61 grizzly factory camo?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
UPDATE!! What is under a '61 grizzly factory camo?
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
Got this bow shipped to me from a friend who bought is thinking I might want it. I paid him the reasonable amount he paid for it, and it arrived today.

The factory camo was in bad shape and the right window was really beat up. I figured what the heck and cleaned up the sight window, but am unsure what my next step should be!

Will stain make the maple look better?

Should I strip more? There are holes to be filled as well!

It looks like a solid maple bow, with clean glass on the front, and a hazy white/clear/aqua glass on the back.

Tyler C. Moore

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: UPDATE!! What is under a '61 grizzly factory camo?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
Interesting question.  Since they were all camo that year, I cannot remember hearing about someone stripping them.  Go for it and let's see.

This model sure doesn't come up very often for sale, but like all the Bear bows of that year they were great shooters.  It's too bad it was was such a bad year for limb stress problems.
Lon Scott

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Does anyone have a thought?

The bow coming my way has several holes and deep scratches.

Therefor...

I am planning on trying to strip the factory finish off this bow when I get it and refinishing it. Any thoughts on how to remove the camo in a clean and proper manner or any advice is appreciated .
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
suppossedly they used up loose ends and odd glass colors-could be literally anything in the all camo years

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
I have one that was partially stripped when I got it. I finished sanding it down and put clear on it. I plan on repainting her some day.

Just plain Maple riser, with caramel colored glass. Just a moderate amount of stress.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:00:00 AM »
Thanks Kenny. Good to hear from someone who did it. I was hoping it might be a surprise, but figured plain maple was probably the outcome. I still might give it a shot.. The bow is in rough shape
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
I did 2 of them; found strange non matching color glass under one, and clear glass with maple veneers under the other-I like the clear glass the best! The risers are very nice Maple.
Another one that I know of has chocolate colored glass belly and back.
Fred wanted to surprise us 50 years later!    :bigsmyl:

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
TTT for an update! Bow is here and I spend some time evaluating and cleaning it up.

Need advice on where to go from here?

Pics added above
Tyler C. Moore

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
I would take it all the way down.  If I didn't like what I saw I would call bear archery and see if they would camo it with the factory camo they are using now.  Doesn't hurt to ask....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
I would take all the way down, and then try Minwax Spar urethane (either rub on or spray).  It would most like cause the grain to really pop out.

Yes, having Bear camo again is good idea as well as having someone do a camo dip.  

If structurally sound, that should be an awesome shooter.  I admit I have never shot a '61 Griz, but bows of that era from Fred were great.
Lon Scott

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
1961 Grizzly's are wonderful shooters.  I hunted one for a couple of seasons.  I worried about further nicking the factory camo, but it was a great bow for sure.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
So I sanded just the tips and it looks like there is light green glass on the belly. Similar to '63 glass. Does that make any sense ? I'm thinking I am going to go for it, at least a little bit at a time. It might turn out ugly as sin, but I guess that can always be fixed!
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
Yup, ugly as sin. Should have left the belty camo. The limb backs are creme/brown glass, and the belly is light green. Tips are nice, and the riser is solid maple.

I am thinking of stripping the whole thing, having skins put on the limbs, and re-paint or dip the limp bellys. Both sides of the limbs have some significant stress cracks, so they will need to be glued and then hidden.

Pics

Tyler C. Moore

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 04:41:00 AM »
I think it's pretty cool.  Definitely unique!  Skins would be nice though
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
The '62 Kodiak Special had that color glass ("sea foam" they called it I think).  Where else have I seen that color glass?   :dunno:  

Yes, bow is    :cool:
Lon Scott

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
The 61 Kodiak also used that colour glass...the 61 KS used a lighter tone as well although mine has faded so much it looks like off white...I keep saying I am going to refinish both my 61 and 63 Kodiak Specials and then I realize that will do nothing to improve their shooting quality...when I want pretty bows I buy them that way

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Here are the 2 colors of green I am referring to.  The first pic is the '62 Kodiak Special followed by a pic of my '61 Kodiak.  Of course, aging and fading can certainly change color shades.

Lon Scott

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Sea foam was used on 1963 Grizzlys and I have a very nice 1965 Polar with it.  Apparently also used on some 1961 Grizzlys too LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
I'm fortunate to own a/the EXP 1962 Kodiak Special that has an incredible Brazilian bocote riser and the 1961 Kodiak Special lighter green/olive limb glass. I've never seen another like it. It's the pride of my collection. If someone else has one that's similar, I'd love to know about it. I have several other 1962 KS's and personally think they are the best bows to ever come out of Graying. There's many other fantastic bows to come out of Grayling, obviously, but my personal favorite grip is the 1962 KS.

As far as the 1961 Grizzly, doesn't seem like all of them are very stressed under the paint? That's what I've seen. Given how bad most '61 Kodiak's and '61 KS's stress cracked, I assumed that the similar glass in the '61 Grizzly's also cracked badly and Bear made the decision of "screw it", let's paint the Grizzly. If you notice, lots of '61 KS's have the star stamp. Bear probably didn't want Grizzly's coming back so they painted them to cover the bad stress glass of that year. That's my gut feeling on the matter.

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
The limbs on this bow are highly stressed. I have it completely stripped and sanded. Filled in the stress cracks with glue, and sanded again.

Now I am not sure what to do. I might just repaint the whole thing... The fiberglass loos terrible from the stress cracks
Tyler C. Moore

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©