INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shakespeare Bows  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
Shakespeare Bows
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
How many are collecting the nice old Ernie Root designed bows. I like every one I have ever shot.What say ye?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shakespeare Bows
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
Just returned from visiting a friend whose last name is Root...surprisingly he decided to collect Root bows, but he has a couple of Shakespeares too...Kaibab is bubinga sandwiching about the nicest piece of Zebrawood I have ever seen...too heavy a draw weight for me right now with shoulder issues so I never got to shoot it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
If there were Jones bows Id have to have a good one as thats my last name. Mr. Root is lucky Id say. The Kaibab is one I havent shot. I have an Ocala and finally got around to setting it up for quietness and shoot-ablility. They are under valued in my opinion.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
If there were Jones bows Id have to have a good one as thats my last name. Mr. Root is lucky Id say. The Kaibab is one I havent shot. I have an Ocala and finally got around to setting it up for quietness and shoot-ablility. They are under valued in my opinion.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
I have a Kaibab now...gonna be a nice shooter...nice to look at with bubinga and zebrawood

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
I am a Shakespeare Root collector. I own Bear, Hoyt, Wing,as well and Root out-shoots them all. I have a 65# Game master that has a smooth draw and release and it out shoots much lighter bows.
Are Root bows under rated or are Bear bows over rated???

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
I'd have to say, "Yes" to both questions.

I'm a big fan of Bear, and I'm sure most of this love was due to all the exposure Fred was getting when I took up the bow in the early 60's.

Fred Anderson lives in my neck of the woods and we've discussed old bows many times.  He has much respect for Ernie Root and his bows as well as Damon Howatt and feel these two bowyers are vastly under rated.

My guess is the next generation of archers will really give these unsung bowyers their due.  Old farts like me will be gone, and the new folks will not have that romantic attachement to Fred Bear.  

As a matter of fact, I already see Bear bows losing their collectibility to a degree as prices and interest begin to wane.
Lon Scott

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Shakespeare and Root bows are some of the smoothest shooting old bows out there. In my opinion they are much better shooters than Bear bows of the same period. Very underrated.

Offline Gerald Denley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 01:21:00 AM »
Old post but since you're looking to assess who collects Roots/Shakespeare bows I have quite a few.

I have a couple of 50's Gamemasters (one 57#) and a Ranger...a 60's Warrior and a "Root by Shakespeare" X-100 Warrior.

Shakespeares include a Cascade, a 58" Necedah, a couple of Super Necedahs and a Kaibab.

Could post some pics but new to this site and not quite sure how...I do know the Mr. Root Damascus Dave mentioned that's collecting Roots...he made a beautiful BCY-X string for the Gamemaster and it was my "go to" bow last fall.

All of them are truly excellent bows...
Peter

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that my Kaibab is zebrawood sandwiched by shedua and not bubinga...those two woods can be very similar

DDave

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
I've owned two '66 Root Gamemaster and one Shakespeare RH300 Wonderbow. All nice shooting bows. I traded one of the Roots in 1970 or so and sold the other two to a good friend.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
I have this Root Target Master on the rack.  It's a 70" recurve that is 50#.  

Anyone know what woods that Ernie used in these?
Lon Scott

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
In the early 60's the target master was a brazillian rosewood riser but other years would vary. Hard to say what your bow has without knowing the year.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 03:27:00 AM »
I think Ernie used a lot of walnut and maple in combination...I am pretty sure that is what my 67 inch Custom is made with

DDave

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Dave, that wood combo of walnut/maple you mention makes sense.  I doubt it is brazillian rosewood.  

As for year this bow was made, anyone know?  I have been telling folks it's from the late 50's.

Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by theviennneau:
I am a Shakespeare Root collector. I own Bear, Hoyt, Wing,as well and Root out-shoots them all. I have a 65# Game master that has a smooth draw and release and it out shoots much lighter bows.
Are Root bows under rated or are Bear bows over rated???
Which specific model 1959 or 1960 Root bow out-shoots a 62" 1959 or 62" 1960 Kodiak Special?

I would like to acquire such a Root bow and create some scientific data for evaluation.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Wade, did Bear even make a 62" in 1959?   :readit:  

Can I help you with the test?   :archer2:  

Note: Most of the above comments were written with "tongue firmly planted in cheek."
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
Lon –

Thank you so much for offering. Yes you can help - hopefully.

I would like to get a 62” Root Gamemaster in any of the following exact weights to match up with the weights of these Kodiak Specials that I have…

1959 62” 50# Kodiak Special
1959 62” 55# Kodiak Special
1960 62” 40# Kodiak Special

It usually seems impossible to find the exact length and weight being sought.  

Yes, of course Bear made the 62" Kodiak Special in 1959. As a matter of fact, the 62" Kodiak Special was made every year from 1957 to 1960.

The 1959 & 1960 KS limbs are very similar but were made on slightly different forms.

Although my personal impression is that the 1960 KS is slightly faster, I would never consider my personal impressions to be fact, nor to be "right" without accurate scientific data to prove that personal impression.

Now, if we go back to theviennneau’s statement that prompted by last post…

…. I own Bear, Hoyt, Wing,as well and Root out-shoots them all. I have a 65# Game master that has a smooth draw and release and it out shoots much lighter bows…
We should understand what is said …

A 65# Game master has a smooth draw and release.

And in his experience it out shoots much lighter bows that he owns by Bear, Hoyt, Wing …

My interest is to record facts, rather than impressions by anyone, including myself.

The first two data points that seem worthy of recording, are…

A simple force-draw curve to illustrate the smoothness of the draw.

A chronograph reading to record the arrow velocity.

I have the basic tools to record this data.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
thevienneau,

The ball (not sure if slightly deflated) is now in your court.

I like road trips and volunteer as witness and spectator.

BTW, I'd like to own any bow that shoots better than a 59/60 Kodiak Special...especially one in 62".
Lon Scott

Offline bearmagtd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
The 62" Grizzly from the 58 to 62 time fram at hunting weights will shoot as well as most Roots in that lenght. Root Game Masters and Field Masters in the late 50's came it both 62" and 64" lenghts. The Grizzly and the Roots where in about the same price range at the time. The Grizzly in the 62" lenght are always over looked, and most can keep up with the Kodiaks. Lon your Root target Master looks to me as about a 1956 if it has mat glass on it. Root bows did not change every year in the early years.Most of the cataloges from the early 50's had no date on them. Early cataloges from sellers like seattle Archery and Kittridge can some times nail down some dates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©