INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Got my KD  (Read 2429 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Got my KD
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
A while ago I posted about 64 inch Kodiaks and as a result got an offer to buy a 64 inch KD...well after considerable research I came to the striking conclusion that they are worth what you are willing to pay...and I decided I was not willing to pay...but those two little words butcher block kept popping into my brain...yesterday I learned I have some unexpected disposable cash so when my friend mentioned butcher block I immediately decided that I really am willing to pay...the bow should be on its way to me next week...not many out there but I would sure like to see a PIC of your butcher block KD...I will now have 3 1960 Kodiaks with butcher block

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got my KD
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
I sounds as if you have the bug as bad as I do.
I now have three Kodiak Deluxes and two Kodiak Special Deluxes.  I will have to look when I get home.  It seems to me that I saw a butcher block in the bunch but didn't pay much attention to it.
Brad Lehmann

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
I think butcher block sight windows were fairly common in 1960.  I no longer own this beauty but shot it regularly when I did.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Trap I was kind of thinking I paid too much for the bow before you posted the pics...does not get much better than that in a production bow...truly worthy of the Deluxe name...now to find me a nice Special Deluxe, which oddly enough might be a bit lower in price...and that brings up another question...were any Special Deluxes made with butcher block or did they even use the I beam construction?

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Hi Dave, I"m not sure about the Special Deluxes.

When I purchased the above KD I thought I had found something very special but Wade Phillips proceeded to show me pics of 5 or 6 1960 Kodiaks and Kodiak Deluxes with Butcher Block I beams.

While not as uncommon as I thought, they are still amazing specimens and possibly the most beautiful one piece bows ever produced by Bear Archery.  Mine was a real shooter too.  

I also had a 55# 64" KD that was a looker and a shooter.

As far as "paying too much money", here's a way to look at that.  You can always make more money but, original 1960 Kodiak Deluxes will never be made again.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
ttt

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
Trap the fact that you used to have those two Kodiak Deluxes keeps haunting me...whatever possessed you to let those two beauties go?...oh yeah I almost forgot why I came here to post...as of yesterday my KD was in Chicago on its way to Canada...now I am at the mercy of the postal services and Canada Customs

DDave

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
I had a butcher block 1959 Grizzly.  Beautiful.  If I ever see a LH one it would be hard to pass up.

Beautiful bow TRAP!  Look forward to seeing yours Dave.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
Trap kind of set the standard for us guys...it is a lot easier to get more money than it is_________...I have never seen a left handed butcher block bow of any description...thanks a lot Colin...now I have something else to watch for

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
I am getting ready to post some pics of the KD when it gets here and I am back to being able to post photos

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
Looks like it may have cleared Canada Customs

DDave

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 06:24:00 AM »
Dave,
My butcher block was right handed.  If I ever see one LH I will let you know....after I buy it!!!  LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 01:42:00 AM »
Colin,

I will return the favour...thanks

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
Serial number is LA161...coin is copper...butcher block is gorgeous...and a dirty dog stole my new laptop so I am once again unable to post pictures

DDave

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »
:banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
I wanted to add more Colin but was unsure of how to phrase it...thanks for expressing exactly how I feel without resorting to my truck driver vocabulary

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 07:22:00 AM »
Oh yeah, and thanks for making me laugh in the face of adversity

DDave

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
Saw a few at Denton. One was a butcher block de luxe.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
I paid 700 dollars for mine because I could...really hard to try to determine what to pay for collectible bows these days...not so hard to determine what I like and want...I now have three butcher block 1960 Kodiak bows...for me butcher block and copper coin are worth an extra hundred bucks...I love their character...I am going to be able to post pictures soon using another computer...stay tuned

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Sorry to jerk you around but pictures will be coming soon...for those of you who frequent that other site I post on take a look a "Dave's new bow"

DDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©