INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: help identifying a bear bow  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
help identifying a bear bow
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
A friend of mine found one of his dads old bears, it says Tamer Lane HC-300 it also has 8A78 and it's 72"& #30 but doesn't have a marking for draw length. The strike plate side of the riser has a aluminum plate that looks like you could slide a rest up or down. I have a few pics of it but don't know how to post them. We are trying to find out how old it is. Oh it has the Grayling Michigan stamp on it that does not appear tobe a sticker. Thanks for any help.

Steve
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: help identifying a bear bow
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

The bow is a 1968 Tamerlane Target bow.

It is 72" AMO length and 30#  @ 28".

The metal plate in the site window is for a sight.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
Those are the facts.
Tom

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
Thanks guys I just found that I posted this in the wrong forum. I appreciate the help. Any idea of what it's worth. Not looking to sell it just curious.
Steve Jr

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Yep...what 4runr said.

Values vary based upon lots of things when it comes to bows.  Even though the Tamerlane was Bear's top target bow, only minimal interest exists today.  One in excellent condition generally sells for $200-275.

I would like to grab a 64" around 45# (if one exists???)
Lon Scott

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
In its day, the Tamerlane was the top target bow produced by Bear Archery. A '67 that was 66 inches long, 30# draw, in excellent condition, just sold for $590.00 five days ago on a certain auction site that does not get named here. (I wasn't involved.)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
I think the way the Papa Bear named his target bows speaks to the sense of humour he had...Tamerlane is simply another name for Genghis Khan, one of the most vicious and heartless killers of history...the other two target bows of the era were the Temujin and the Tartar...once again indicative of some of the most brutal killers the world has ever known...that 590 dollar selling price simply indicates how difficult it is to determine what a bow will sell for these days...in an auction there were at least two people willing to pay close to that price...I would have happily bid on that bow up to about 200 bucks...okay maybe 250

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
Oops...Temujin was Genghis Khan's birth name...Tamerlane was a different world conqueror of similar reputation and operating style

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
Wow, that's pretty impressive. Thanks for the history lesson. This bow is still a excellent shooter my friends dad bought it new and one a few state shoots here in Indiana in the late 60s.
Steve Jr

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
I understand that on the auction site, oddities can and do happen.  One should check the completed auctions for several similar items to get a better idea.  Not long ago, a mid 60's Kodiak sold for $1,100...which was a bow worth about $300-350 to the majority of us.

BTW, I have 3 of these Tamerlanes on my rack in pristine condition and would gladly sell each for much less than $590 each...if I ever decide to sell.

Yeah, Fred had a weird sense of humor, huh?  I guess he had run out of species of bears, so started with world conquerors.  Hmmm. I wonder what the PUTIN would have looked like?
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©