3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jerry Pierce Choctaw Recurve  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
Jerry Pierce Choctaw Recurve
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am wondering if anyone has pictures of a Jerry Pierce Choctaw Recurve they would be willing to share.  I am slightly obsessed with these bows.  I have a few pics in some back copies of Traditional Bowhunter but the magazines are in storage back in the states.  

Thanks in advance, Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jerry Pierce Choctaw Recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »

Osage,with Padauk stripes..lacewood pieces on belly side of riser

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Holly Mackeral Ray, thats fast.  Thanks so much for those.  What timeframe/year did that come from.  Thanks again, Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
1/31/1994

You're welcome.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Sure has the looks of a very expensive Super Diablo. Nice bow
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
From what I've gathered, the bow's basic design was patterned after the 58" Damon Howatt Hi Speed.  Jerry then added his own touches of course.  They are works of art for sure.

I hope there are more pics to come.  I love seeing pics of Jerry's bows.

Thank you for sharing.

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:43:00 AM »
Jerry Pierce, was a fine gentleman and a gifted bowyer. Legend has it he never sold a bow, only giving them away to deserving individuals or for auctions such as the PBS and United Bowhunters of Illinois. Maybe Fletcher aka: Rick Stillman or Tom Mussatto who actually knew him and called him friend will contribute to this post. I only breifly met him one time. While at a UBI banquet I was admiring a Choktaw donated for auction when another member told me "Jerry always paints his personal bows black..." My response was a dismayed " why would anyone paint such a gorgeous bow?" When a gray haired gent behind me said " I would..." He then turned and walked away. I learned later that night that the gray haired gent was Jerry himself...

John McCreary
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:39:00 AM »
Those are the stories i have read and heard about.  I surly wish i could have meet Jerry. Seems like someone i would sit and talk to easily.  

I love the idea of making bows just to give away.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
Brandon, I believe you are correct.  I don't know about the exact model, but Jerry's bows were fashioned after Howatt recurves.  When Jerry was a young man, working at Caterpillar in Peoria, and trying to raise 3 kids he didn't have any spare money.  He told me he broke a few Howatts, which were his bow of choice, and that he couldn't afford to keep buying them.  That's how he got started making his own.  Being a precision machinist by trade, which at that time was the most specialized union job at Cat, he was naturally gifted at the intricate stuff such as the finger joint, which are now known as Pierce Points.  That name was arrived at by Dick Robertson.  He asked Jerry how he made that design and since Jerry was gracious enough to explain it to Dick, and gave his "blessing" on Dick using the design, Dick wanted to return the favor by giving Jerry all the credit for the design, thus the name "Pierce Points".  
As John said, Jerry painted all of his hunting bows flat black.  I'm not sure if all of them had the finger joint accents, I highly doubt it.  But if you could get your hands on one of the black ones and were able to remove the finish, it would undoubtedly still be a piece of art compared to most bows.  Not all, of course.  
If you think seeing one painted black would shock a feller, check this out:  
Jerry's favorite thing to do in the whole world was to go squirrel hunting with his recurve.  He would stay out all day sometimes and he was, and still is, one of the few guys that could kill a limit of squirrels with a bow on a fairly regular basis.  Something some of us have yet to do...  Anyway, one time he squirrel hunted for several hours and after several shots just could not connect.  Most of us would chalk it up to a bad shooting day.  Jerry drove home, went in the garage, fired up the bandsaw and cut that recurve in half, right through the riser, and threw it in the scrap pile.  
Jerry's hunting bow was 72# at his draw.  A year or two before his untimely death, he realized he was starting to show signs of aging and that he needed to drop down in weight.  Naturally he made a new personal hunting bow that was lighter.  How much lighter, I don't know.  Anyway, after shooting all summer and just shaking his head at the thought of having to drop down in weight, he just couldn't get used to either the bow, or the fact that he was getting a little weaker.  After all that, when deer season rolled around he put the lighter bow up and hunted with his 72 pounder anyway.  He was stubborn, but in a good way.  
Jerry and his wife Bettie were originally from Mississippi.  I think the local native American tribe to that region were the Choctaw, hence the name he put on his bows.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Jerry told me he busted a couple Super D’s so started making his own. His design more resembles a Hi-Speed than Super D to my eyes but aside from length the two bows are very similar.

Not sure why Jerry painted his bows but I suspect it was for the same reason I paint mine. Back in the late 60's and early 70's C.R. Learn told us to.   :)  

The last bow I saw Jerry shoot about a year before he died was a 57# Choctaw. I shot the bow several times and it felt heavy in the hand. Couldn’t tell what it was made of ‘cause the dang thing was painted from nock to nock. He told me it was all osage. He also told me he couldn’t shoot it well because it didn’t have enough string tension. Looked like he was shooting it pretty darn good to me. I got video here somewhere of him missing a rabbit with it in Indiana.

How come ya ain't out hunting this AM Kevin?   :)
I lasted about an hour and a half. Visibility about zero and cold...cold...cold. About the only thing I could see was tracks in the snow a foot in front of me. Reminded me of the ice fog in Alaska. Only upside to this was if I had seen a deer he would have been close enough for even me to hit.
Tom Mussatto

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Hey Tom.  Just got home from working the graveyard shift.  Got a guy here putting flooring in the bathroom so I can't sleep anyway.  Might go this afternoon.  Yep, we got the ice fog here as well.  Did see a deer on the way home from work though.  
I like the reason Jerry liked to give about why he loved squirrel hunting so much:  He said "they" hadn't prostituted it yet by putting a trophy value on squirrels like "they" had on deer...
So true.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »

One of the greatest privileges and few earthly "treasures" of my life
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »

Cocobolo riser, Bloodwood limbs, Cocobolo and Maple points and overlays... dearly missed friend.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »

Belly view
Daryl Harding

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
Howdy, Daryl!  Remember when me, you and Jerry drove over to the GORH?  There's another memory of Jerry for ya.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Kevin,

I'm guessing I could do a "Charlie Lamb" version of Jerry stories that would take up four or five pages here.  Add in all the fun you, Tom, and the other buddies could add, and a fine book could be written about one of the finest men I ever, ever knew.

Still think of him OFTEN, and miss him a lot.

Did you ever get that scuff off your head from the shoe he threw at you that night?  :biglaugh:

Daryl
Daryl Harding

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Daryl, I’ll give ya a quarter for that bow. Whoa, better not. Jerry would have shot both of us for doing that.

Yeah, he was one of the good guys and we are sorely lacking in folks of his character and integrity within our community these days. Don’t know about a book. For one I’m guessing Jerry would not have approved, and second, books put together after the subject is gone tend to take on a life of their own. I’d hate to see that happen with Jerry. Stuff written about Hill come to mind. Probably wouldn’t bother Hill as he was a showman but Jerry was more of the sit off to the side and just listen and observe type of guy.

By the way, did either of you guys ever use a squirrel call while in ear shot of Jerry? If so, were you ever able to put the pieces back together? :-)
Tom Mussatto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©