INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Best Bear recurve DESIGN ?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Bear recurve DESIGN ?
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
Perhaps one of our Graybeards can help me, please?

I am not a collector.  I want to buy the best DESIGN Bear one-piece recurve within its historical range of production.  

For background:
There was a posting recently about the late Mr. Bill Stewart and his remarkable "Multicam bow".  Googeling him produced a nice biography that included specifics about him redesigning trad bows for Bear and others.  My sense of his troubleshooting and redesigning of otherwise well regarded trad bows is that the original models needed tweaking and the big name companies repeatedly went to him for help.

So, with no disrespect and if someone can, please give me your opinion of and reasons for a particular model and year being an acknowledged perfected design Bear recurve. Many thanks.
Kevin

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Bear recurve DESIGN ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Just my opinion--1959 Kodiak, or, if you want something newer--the Super Kodiak.   I have never shot a '59er or the latest version of it.   I have shot a bunch of SK's(1969-1975 years) and always thought they were very smooth to shoot and just a beautiful design.  I love longer bows, currently shooting a 64" takedown, but I am considering giving the '59 remake a try (I was hoping they would offer it in a longer length).

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
You are asking a question that the correct answer will vary from person to person.  I have small hands and the 1959 thru 1962 bows were tailor made for me.  They just feel right.  Some big ol' boy that has hands big enough to pick up a basketball one handed would probably not like the small gripped bows, he may say the 1956 Kodiak Special is the bow for him.  From the reading that I have done there seems to be agreement that 1959 and 1964 Kodiaks are sweet shooters.  I do not own a 1964 (yet) but have a 59 that I restored and have been shooting for about a month now.  I really like it.
Brad Lehmann

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
Hard to beat the early Takedowns.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
I would also have picked the Bear takedown as THE bow that best typifies Bear Archery, but you asked for opinions regarding one piece bows.

Many of us agree the 1959-1962 are great examples, but others like the '63 or '64...and then there's the Super Kodiaks that began in 1967.

So, my conclusion is that you can have one, but you have to have one of EACH year from 1959-1969.  By doing this, I am sure you will have THE BEST.
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
Kevin -

I you want to "buy the best DESIGN Bear one-piece recurve within its historical range of production", the best advice I can give you is go try out as many of the vintage Bear bows as you can and make your own decision as to what shoots best for you.

Collectors who shoot vintage bows are very accommodating, simply go to a large traditional shoot, e.g. Compton, talk with guys, look at their bows, they will generally offer to let you shoot it, sometimes even before you ask.

Educate yourself so you can figure out the best for you.

Personally, I have dozens of all-time favorite Bear bows made from the 1930s to the 1960s.

The 59 & 60 Bear Kodiaks are at the top of the list.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
It might be hard to say this was the best Bear design ever because there were certainly some issues with the manufacturing process which might be thought to be part of the design...these bows also have a reputation that precludes many people from even attempting to shoot them...for me it is the best Bear I have ever shot

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
I have a  several bear recurves

the 64 kodiak,  a 67 super kodiak , and the new kodiak that is the 1959 design...my opinion only are my favorites ...they all draw smooth....the 59 is the quickest, the 64 is the smoothest and seems quicker than the 67 ...but I like the  physical weight of the 67 and seem to be most accurate with it....all would make a great vintage bow to hunt with or for 3d....

I know you said one piece but the vintage 1970 B riser takedown is my all time favorite bow...

bear is replicating the 1968 superkodiak....this year..it won't be vintage but vintage design ..
theylook very nice

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
What Wade said. And be sure to try out a1956 and a 1962. The 64" and 60" bows shoot very differently-you decide what is best for you.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
The phenolic Super Kodiaks are nice.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
Kevin -

Based on your experience, which bow is the best designed recurve you ever used?

It would help narrow down your choices if you described your expectations.

Hard to be unhappy with a nice '59. Most of the "tweaking" in the last 50 years resulted in a reissue of the same design.

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Thanks, everyone:

After too many years of trying, buying and using, there were very few of established quality, regardless of basic design, that were not ok. I have enough bows to equip a small club, but haven't had a Bear since the 1960's. For nostalgia, they fascinate me.  I had an unusually close relationship with the Bear Organization in the mid-60's, but all my contacts have departed for a better place.

The only issue that creates frustration for me is an inherent design or materials flaw that makes a particular model more or less of a consensus "dog".
I am searching for the best "wrung-out" model. I would like to avoid an otherwise well shooting year/model that was improved next year.  

So for my next purchase, it is mostly a matter of proven design than minor personal shooting characteristics.  Tx.
Kevin

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Not anywhere near the number that Wade has but I have owned a few hundred vintage Grayling Bears. That said, my favorite shooters have been the 90's something Super Kodiak that I foolishly sold and my current favorite 2013 Kodiak T/D.
Jack Shanks

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
HUmmmm....

In my opinion the best "just pick it up and shoot" Bears that I have owned are;
1955/56 Grizzy... 1956 Kodiak...1957 Polar(64") 1962 Kodiak Special(69")
The best for hunting;
1957 Polar (64")...1957 Kodiak(60")... 1968 Kodiak Hunter
The best "smooth shooting"
the 1962 Kodiak Special(69")...1969 Super Kodiak(64")
The best"when I want to feel the punch" bow
1952 Kodiak(64",73#)...the 1968 Kodiak Hunter(64#)
The ones I regret selling; the 57 Polar & the 57 Kodiak
In my opinion the "BEST" Bear bow design is the one that fulfills my whimsy for the day, and makes my minutes of shooting enjoyable.  For me there is not a "single" design which is the "one" that best suits all my shooting moods.  I think it comes down to finding a bow that "speaks" to you(hang onto it)... But don't feel unfaithful if another turns your head and gives you a thrill...

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
I think Freds best shooting and designed bow has to be the latch system Custom Kodiak take down recurve. No tools necessary to assemble or disassemble in seconds. It has enough mass to be forgiving but not too clunky and heavy. Looks great once strung. Great for travel and hunting by backpack or on horseback. Great Sheep hunting bow for the takedown feature. I know you specifically asked for the one piece but I would not rule out the take down.
For the one piece, the Super Kodiak 1968 model is what all modern day recurves are judged by.
For looks and nostalgia, the 1959/1960 Kodiaks are hard to beat. Those three bows are what Bear archery represents to me.

And Hey .. Damascus Dave, you are just bragging big time posting that pic of your 60 Kodiak Special Deluxe butcher block riser bow. Brat!
There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
So you noticed I like posting that picture eh...maybe some of the Kodiak Deluxes (it is a 64 inch Deluxe, not a Special Deluxe) had issues but that one certainly does not seem to have any...I shoot that bow at 31 inches at a measured 46 pounds and with the string I currently have on it I am shooting 605 grain 340 spine arrows at 155 fps...that is a well designed bow which one would expect from a bow that was designed to be something a little out of the ordinary back in 1960...whoever built that bow was not your average bowyer

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
Damacasdave

That lefty Deluxe that I'm restoring is getting close.  Put your sunglasses on.
Brad Lehmann

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Wow, those numbers are impressive. Didnt you just get that one off ... the site? I thought I saw it on there not too long ago.

Beautiful bow. I want one for my collection.
There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Highlife nailed it. The phenolic and rosewood SuperK, the 59 Kodiak and the TD are the best of all of the bows by Bear.

Now Bear is making the 59, the phenolic/rosewood SuperK and the TD again. So you can get any of those new. I don't see them as "reproductions" but rather they are reintroductions of bows that need to be built because they are such great classics.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by smokin joe:
Highlife nailed it. The phenolic and rosewood SuperK, the 59 Kodiak and the TD are the best of all of the bows by Bear.

Now Bear is making the 59, the phenolic/rosewood SuperK and the TD again. So you can get any of those new. I don't see them as "reproductions" but rather they are reintroductions of bows that need to be built because they are such great classics.
x3
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©