INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Anticipation  (Read 2240 times)

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
The Anticipation
« on: November 19, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Hi all,

I'm still new around here, but I'm quickly becoming consumed by (and increasingly obsessed with) the world of traditional archery, bow hunting, and anything else to do with putting stick-to-string-to-stick. Is this normal for newbies?

All uncertainty aside, I'm really excited for my birthday this year. Not just because I'll get to schmooze with my technologically-illiterate relatives while they ask me ignorant questions about my career, or because I will be obliged to devour vegan textured-vegetable-protein-faux-drumsticks (smothered in thick sarcasm gravy), but because I found out yesterday that my great uncle was an archer, and probably a bow hunter (although that's not something my family would ever confirm or deny, for fear of being politically incorrect)... and that he left most of his archery equipment in the care of my living relatives, who don't know a nock from a nocking point. I'm going to get my pick of a bunch of antique archery equipment and bows, some of which were hand-made by my great uncle.

I just had to share this with someone, anyone who cares about bows and arrows and stuff, so I can get back to focusing on work for the rest of the day. I'm also curious about what it's like for others to get their first vintage/antique/family heirloom bows, so tell me about it?
"With all the grace and aerodynamic prowess of a heavily-laden cinderblock..."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Anticipation
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
What a great deal and I'd be excited too. Make sure you show us what you picked up.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
Of course! I just have to wait another week or so, and it seems like forever.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Given your location and the era, you just might discover some very interesting items. Lots of important bowhunting history in the Evergreen State. By all means, please post photos as you are able!

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :archer:

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
None of us are "normal"...and we look forward to the next bow just as much as we looked forward to that first one...right now I have a bow and a riser on their way to me, two more bows that I am paying for and I just got a private message asking if I am interested in a couple more, which I am...there are worse things to be addicted to

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 12:26:00 AM »
Pictures, round one:

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
Pictures, round 2:

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:32:00 AM »
Pictures, round 3:

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
Pictures, round 4:

The last two are of Stan's old hunting bow.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
lolvo240 -

Nice photographs !

The radiused recurve, yew T/D with rawhide back in the archery tackle box, looks a lot like some of the 1940s Easton bows with the exception of the grip wrapping not being pigskin, lack of circular leather strike plate, semi-notched shelf, and lack of the Easton branding. The aluminum nock arrows from this box also look a lot like Eastons, but most of the higher end target arrows from that era looked pretty similar.

The last two images of Stan's old hunting bow, are also very interesting. I have an old leather grip bow with a similar raised arrow but have never able to put a name with the bow. Did Stan make this bow? If so, what was Stan's last name?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wade Phillips:
lolvo240 -

Nice photographs !

The radiused recurve, yew T/D with rawhide back in the archery tackle box, looks a lot like some of the 1940s Easton bows with the exception of the grip wrapping not being pigskin, lack of circular leather strike plate, semi-notched shelf, and lack of the Easton branding. The aluminum nock arrows from this box also look a lot like Eastons, but most of the higher end target arrows from that era looked pretty similar.

The last two images of Stan's old hunting bow, are also very interesting. I have an old leather grip bow with a similar raised arrow but have never able to put a name with the bow. Did Stan make this bow? If so, what was Stan's last name?
I've looked the bows over a few times and can't find any identifying brand marks on them (not even poundage) or the arrows. Google image search has failed me so far, but I'll try again when I have more time. I think his last name might have been Maple. At this point, I suspect that the arrows might indeed be handmade, as my uncle showed me another large chest of arrow-making supplies that he had used, featuring what seemed to be pieces of the wood inlay, unfinished shafts of various lengths and weights (including what looked like a few exceptionally pointy unfinished target arrows from that set), ancient containers of cresting paint, a paperclip box with some spare aluminum nocks and field points in it, razors, and various paper bags of feathers for fletching. One of the bags had feathers in it that match the ones on the target arrows.

That's "next year's present" though...

Online Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Very very Nice!
A family heirloom to be treasured and taken care of. Even with my glasses I cannot make out all the story which was printed and given to you. Can you clarify the date.....
I'm sure your looking forward to next year!

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
A transcript of what's on the notes, complete with unnecessary punctuation:

“Caveat Emptor: This is VERY old. We don’t know whether it is too brittle to shoot or not. Ask someone who would know. Proceed with caution.

The Story: This is Peggy Hamlin Maple’s archery stuff. It is probably from the late ’30’s. Stan was a member of the Seattle Bowmen. He and some buddies went to the Olympics and cut a bunch of yew (hauled out on foot). So this bow is made of local yew, probably backed with rawhide. The socket appears to be hand-made. Arrows are hand-made of —> over —> Port Orford cedar, trimmed with beefwood inset. The aluminum nocks (also handmade) were crafted from Boeing surplus that they acquired somehow. Stan also made Peggy the leather wristguard. We’re not sure, but the bow rest appears to be handmade also. The bowstrings of that time were linen. You also have free antique talcum powder and rosin! (and steel wool-?) Stan also cut the feathers for the fletching. AND he made the box. !!!”

For all I know, this might all be true...

Online Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
As above, Very Nice!!
Thanks for the post. Very enjoyable pics and read......
Wade
Always enjoy your educational insight!

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Wow! Very nice craftsmanship!
Lucas Kent

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
I shoot a selfbow made for my father when he was seventeen years old. The next year he joined the Navy and went off to fight … the Empire of Japan.

That's right – I regularly shoot a bow that is seventy-one years old. It shoots like a dream. It's the one in my avatar photo at left.

I bought an old handmade arrow case from a guy out in Oregon a few months ago. His father was active in archery out there at the very same time your great uncle was. I'll dig up his contact info and send it to you if I can find it again.

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by eidsvolling:
I shoot a selfbow made for my father when he was seventeen years old. The next year he joined the Navy and went off to fight … the Empire of Japan.

That's right – I regularly shoot a bow that is seventy-one years old. It shoots like a dream. It's the one in my avatar photo at left.

I bought an old handmade arrow case from a guy out in Oregon a few months ago. His father was active in archery out there at the very same time your great uncle was. I'll dig up his contact info and send it to you if I can find it again.
Cool! I would love to talk with him if possible. When I get some time, I'm going to take them up to some place like Nock Point and get them looked at from a safety perspective. The larger one is very stiff, and I'm not entirely sure if it's due to high poundage or brittleness at this point. The smaller one is a bit less stiff, but I don't want to risk stringing it until I get it checked out... and get a new string for it. Linen may be authentic, but those strings are 60+ years old...

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by lolvo240:
Cool! I would love to talk with him if possible.
Sent you a private message here a few hours ago with his contact info.

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Just beautiful, thanks for sharing!
There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©