INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 58 Kodiak  (Read 917 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
58 Kodiak
« on: December 13, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
I'm typing this as I'm recovering from back surgery...

I haven't been here in quite awhile.  15-20 years ago I was heavy into collecting...fortunately or unfortunately I still have most of my collection.  When I was collecting I concentrated on hunting weight bows 55# and up.  That was fine until old age started into my bones now 40# and my early target bows are looking/feeling a lot better.  Even though I have Kodiaks hanging from the rafters, I don't have light weight ones.

Long story getting to my 58 Kodiak 60" 50#@28.  Of all the Kodiaks, this was the bow I really enjoyed shooting the most...better than the 59-60 and 64.  I may have to add a lighter sister soon...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 58 Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
I was born in 1958 and have a 58 kodiak in a lefty that is 50# at 26....I love it,,,,,, it is 56 " a very rare bird and a nice bow....

good luck in your recovery

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
That's one of the few of that era I've never owned or even shot.  I've had a few 56's and 57's and 59's...and hear the '58 performs right with them.  

BTW, I do like the white glass which just says "classic".
Lon Scott

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
I have a 58#. The camo limb covers came off this morning and it spent some time in the snow-covered woods looking for a deer. When all is said and done, it is probably my favorite to shoot.

There's a 65# in fabulous condition on the auction site right now. I've had to go lie down for long stretches several times to avoid submitting a bid.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
For people that don't like white limbs or any other color. I really don't care what color the limbs are.  If I feel the color isn't right for hunting, I'll just spray paint them.  Now I'm hearing some cry's of anguish out there...But it's very simple to do not causing any problem.  First you heavily wax your limbs (in this case only the backs) and Don't wipe the wax off!  Then painters tape off the rest of the bow and light puffs of any kind of spray paint.  I'm not trying to cover the limb just break up the color or shape.  What you are really doing is just Painting the Wax.  When I want them back to normal, a hair dryer & paper towel will free up the wax & wipe the limb clean.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »
Tippit, I have to whole heartedly agee with your assessment.  Here's a 1958 Kodiak thread I started that was a couple of pages back.  1958 Kodiak sleeper thread

I'm planning on using mine for the next time I draw a black bear tag close to my home, which I hope will be in a year or two.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »
I think that a white colored bow is fine.....there are tons of white or very light grey branches and trees in the woods....probably be fine for turkey too...I generally cover my limbs to protect them with skins  or for glare on shiney finishes but the 58 kodiak is flat white...mine is a collector to me so I cover the limbs with skins but if I couldn;t find my skins I would have no problem using the white limbed bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 06:26:00 AM »
Just when I thought my 60's and 64 were good enough you have to post this...I suppose I just need to shoot Brad's to say I shot one and then move on...it might be good but I doubt it will outshoot this 60

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
Oops...just noticed Brad's is a 56 inch bow...he is not crazy enough to let me, with a 30 inch draw, shoot that one...guess I am safe after all...unless of course Bear made a 64 inch version

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©