INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Christmas in February , a Bear story  (Read 1073 times)

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
Christmas in February , a Bear story
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
It's been a really fun couple of days waiting for the mail. I traded a 71 Grizzly for a 67 Kodiak Magnum with full disclosure that my Grizzly was bought when I was in high school, toted over hill and dale and through swamp and marsh , all the while in full camo. Admittedly, it was in good shape but the KMag that came my way in its place is just a peach..very well cared-for and as pretty as a speckled pup.

The next "present" was a 62 Kodiak that came today from the Left Coast. from the seller's photos I was expecting a crackled finish but the bow is a 9/10, immaculate except for quiver bushings on the back side and one very small dent in the finish. It has a "golden" rosewood riser and I beam that DDave ID'd in a heartbeat from a bad photo and he was right. I saw a post by Wade Phillips about 3 years ago that he picked up one of these with the light-colored rosewood I beam. So its a looker, a bit unusual and ready to hunt . Spring training is going to be intense this year.

mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline papabear08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Christmas in February , a Bear story
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 04:41:00 AM »
Do you shoot both right and left ????????

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
There are a lot of people who would be more than content to have only those two bows...we are Grayling Bear folk...if I got down to 2 I would feel naked

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
Mark that striped KMag is a 68..as you can tell it would be hard to distinguish from your 67 if the serial numbers did not make sense those years

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline papabear08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
'68 is a solid riser no stripe

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Dave, the serial number on the KMag starts with a 7 so I am guessing its a 1967. Here's a photo of the back side.

Gary, it's Dave's fault I'm still shooting both ways. If he can do it, by golly I'm gonna practice until I get it right. I started practicing righty last fall when I discovered, after 50 years as a lefty,  I have become RED.

I took both bows out this morning : better groups and point-and-shoot with the righty '62. Both are like carrying a feather compared to the mass of my other bows.
mangonboat

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Also, I read Dave's post oagain and I think he is saying that his striped KMag is a 68. Dave, what brace height do you shoot on your 68?
mangonboat

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Dang...that '67 is a looker! (and a wt. I prefer too)
Lon Scott

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Yep, Rosewood and Bubinga!
45# and 52" could be a lot of fun to shoot.

1968 was a solid Shedua riser..........

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
I do not shoot that KMag...I bought it for a friend and I guess my memory is not what it used to be...I am guessing that bow is a 1967...I have enough bows I only know brace height on the few that I fine tune...I would guess I shoot my 1962 KMag at 7.5 inches but as I recall Bear said 7 to 8 was fine

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
I know that Fred Bear and Glenn St. Charles both switched from shooting right handed to shooting left handed...what I do not know is if both or either of them continued to shoot, or went back to shooting some, right handed...I just feel there are a lot of advantages to shooting both ways but the only way to know for you is to try it

DDave

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Beautiful bows..... Congrats  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©