INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Elburg archery Bows  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Tsettle33

• Trad Bowhunter
Elburg archery Bows
« on: February 06, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I have a couple of rare Harry Elburg bows that I would like to know the value of as they are very rare I would like to add them to insurance policy.The first one is a bow he called Old Traditions it is only 1 of 6 that he made when he first started making bows it is a red cedar bow with cocabola handle/riser he made this bow I believe he told me back in the 60's.I do know it is the only one left of the 6 that he made because the other 5 blew up because with a cedar bow he could never get the poundage right.The second one I have is the very first or prototype of the Cherokee Magnum I was doing a lot of shooting with Harry back in the day and when he made this bow he put a teardrop in the riser out of wood to be able to tell the very first one he ever made just wondering value of these if anyone would know.I know Harry was a great bowyer and a innovator ahead of his time as well as a great man.I have had these bows a very long time and shot many of traditional shoots with these bows if anyone has greater knowledge about these I would love to talk to you.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elburg archery Bows
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
I certainly don't have more info than you, but can say that Elburg bows are rather rare on the market.  His shorty longbows are real gems and I would love to get one, but any of his bows are seldom for sale.  With that the case, it would be really tough to put a value on those bows.  Your bows seem really special and even harder to appraise.

I believe insurance for these is going to be subjective unless you can get a written appraisal from a recognizable dealer, collector, historian, etc.  Who the heck has those creditials today?

Knowing insurance companies, they're not likely to fairly reimburse a lost/stolen Elburg.

It looks like you are new here, so welcome.  Many of us would really like to see pics of your bows if you can post.  If not, send me some pics and I will post them here for you.  We also may have more Elburg fans here that provide lots more.  Good luck.

My email is [email protected]
Lon Scott

Offline Tsettle33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Thanks Lon yes I will get some pics and try to get them uploaded and thanks again

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
Just happened to be looking for an older Stotler longbow at the web site, Traditional Archery by Len Busbee. They have an Elburg Cherokee longbow L/H 62" 56#@27".
Look under inventory and then longbow's.
Not overly familiar with Harry's bows but they look like nice shooter's. So many of these older bowyers are passing on their craft anymore that it's nice to find an original.
You have some nice personal history there and I certainly would enjoy any pics of your bows that you care to share!!

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
Seems like rare bows are coming out of the woodwork these days. Elburg bows that you never come across and a rare Kincannon on the big auction site. It is nice to see collectors who appreciate the bows end up with them.

Online twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
Terry,

I'd love to see some pics...

Admitted Elburg nut... 'bout the only bows I shoot anymore...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Tsettle33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
Hey Jonathan yes I have some pics trying to upload them now may have to send them to Lon to get them put up.I used to shoot a lot with Harry back in the late 80s early 90s my wife's uncle used to work for Harry back then and that's how I met him and started shooting with him.i also have a couple self bows I made myself with some of Harry's guidance.

Offline Tsettle33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Hey Lon sent you a email with some pics!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
OK...here ya go...

Lon Scott

Offline Tsettle33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Thanks Lon!!I have some more if anyone would like to see them just send me an email address and I can get them to you.The cedar bow is a true 72'' Longbow red cedar with bamboo and fast flight in the limbs with cocoabolo handle this bow was a ambedextrious model had a bone rest on both sides originally.I made it to a righty with a turkey leg bone for the rest and re wrapped it.The protype Cherokee Magnum is all original from the day Harry made it as you can see the tear drop in the riser that was his mark on this bow and also he said he wrote something under the handle to indicate that it was the prototype for the Cherokee magnum.I have never took it apart to find out and do not plan to it is red elm with osage and some purple heart in the riser as well.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
I love Elburg bows! Have one now that I will not part with. It is 54 inches and comes in at 48 pounds. There was somebody working for harry who took the bow and finished it when it did not come in at the weight Harrry wanted..This bow is 48 pounds at 28 inches. and does not have a name on it. I managed to find the owner after the guy who finished it son had sold it, and he gave me the story on the bow. I did have a Mite that is now in my brothers possession.I know where there is 1 more that I would really like to get my hands on.

Offline Tsettle33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Hi Shane yea that could have been Robert Blair he had a son named Chris and he loved making bows with Harry and always took the ones Harry gave up on and finished them for himself or his kids he was a great Muzzleloader builder as well I have shot many years with him and his family

Offline Tsettle33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
The Cherokee magnum in the pic there is a 62" it is 54# @ 28" and one of the smoothest I have ever shot and fast Everything that is on that bow is original including the string from the very day Harry created that bow it was the prototype for the magnum line of bows he made

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Here is that bow Terry. Not sure of model

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©