INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Refinishing phenolic riser  (Read 1908 times)

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
Refinishing phenolic riser
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
My recent interest in hunting-weight Wing bows led me to an offering for a pre-Head Ski Thunderbird on the auction site. The bow is really wore out, finish-wise. There is no info on the draw weight but the original faded Wing decal is in place on the limb. If I can pick it reasonably, I can make a project out of it if it is otherwise sound. But  how does one sand, polish and finish phenolic? Any different from wood?
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refinishing phenolic riser
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
I did a '69 Bear Kodiak and handled it the same as a wood bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
I've done several Wing Thunderbirds and I do them exactly like a wood/glass bow except just before I apply the finish I carefully wipe down the riser (phenolic only) with India ink and it really makes the black phenolic pop. Let the ink wipe dry for 24 hours before the finish is applied. Holes fill easily with epoxy mixed with the same India ink disappear when sanded.                                                              
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
I did one that looked like it had sat outside on a picnic table for a couple years and it refinished beautifully. I have better pictures and even some in the steps refinishing if you need them.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
I'm in the process of refinishing a 52" Thunderbird myself. I've sanded and used some 420 just like it was wood. Haven't decided if I'll use Wipe-on Poly or Tru-oil. Should turn out nice.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
I've used Minwax Wipe-on Poly on all I've done and have been very pleased. They look fantastic when they are done and are great, fast  shooting bows.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 12:10:00 AM »
That's a clever idea, the India ink.
mangonboat

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
Would the ink seep into the maple lams?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
Ben, I would love to see a few before, during and after photos of refinishing process with phenolic riser. The one I'm looking at also looks like its sat on a picnic table in the sun for a few decades ...very faded, finish completely peeling and flaking. I wonder if that has something to do with Wing's finish materials and/or application, as Ive never seen finish problems on other Wing bows. Maybe its just the effect of sunlight on the phenolic.
mangonboat

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
"Would the ink seep into the maple lams?" No not if you are extremely careful around them. I put just a little on an old scrap of tee shirt and take my time. That is why I stressed just the phenolic. Mango I am away from home right now and will be back in a couple days. When I get there I will post or send them to you email your choice.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
Billiard balls are made with phenolic...you might want to see if you could locate someone locally who refurbishes them for some tips

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
I have inspected the photos on that TBird that has been re-listed on the auction site with a Make Offer option and I've concluded that despite the earlier Wing decal and rest, its a second generation Tbird with the greenish gray actionwood...the finish is so bad that its hard to be sure. Its too big a risk for a a bow that requires full-blown rehab. I'm going to keep looking for a bowling ball TBird.
mangonboat

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
Mango, Sorry I cleaned out a lot of pictures to clean up my computer, but still had before and after pictures of one Thunderbird that was in terrible shape but like the Phoenix rose from the ashes.                                                                                                                                        

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
After                                                                                                                                            

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
To answer your question about Wing's finish. I currently have several Wings including 3 Thunderbirds, some have good finishes if they were taken care of and others that have obviously been mistreated. I think Wings finish was a good finish, just people don't always take care of some things.

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
That bow shines like a new bowling ball.  Quite pretty.
Your before and after pictures are all the argument needed in a discussion on why some bows deserve to be restored.

I am curious what finish you used and how many coats, etc.
It is not uncommon for me to apply forty or fifty coats and wet sand every five or so.  It takes forever and I need to find a finish that builds quickly.
Brad Lehmann

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
The finish is a Minwax Wipe-on Gloss, but it does not build fast. I usually put on 8-9 coats, but I don't sand in between because they are thin coats. Depending on the temperature I recoat approx. every 2 hours. I only sand if there is an imperfection when recoating this often. I try to use gloss on all coats as it is harder and then if I want satin or semi-gloss I use it on the last coat. To me though the Thunderbirds deserve gloss!

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
My problem is getting the pores in the wood filled.  I have taken a tiny paintbrush and hand painted the deep pores two or three times over the course of a half hour or so.  The next day I knock down the high spots and then start spraying the whole riser.  Phenolic should go a lot faster than wood because of the lack of pores.  I use the Helmsman spar urethane which is similar to the Minwax.
Brad Lehmann

Offline Sukhoidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
I just picked up a 52" 47# Thunderbird with serial number t7-1446 off craiglist and I'd like to re-beautify it.  I'm wondering if I should strip the finish with Citristrip instead of sanding it all down.  I'd feel more confident with the stripper that I wouldn't be sanding damage into the bow.

Thoughts, advice, links, pictures would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Wood
Ravenna OH
David Wood
Ravenna Ohio

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
Since we're on the subject of refinishing Wings. Does anyone sell decals for the old Thunderbirds ?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©