INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Stemmler bows?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stemmler bows?
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
For a few reasons, only bow I have and am able to shoot right now is an old Stemmler "semi-recurve".

All I know of them is that Stemmler Archery made bows in Long Island City, N.Y., I think in the 50's/60's. I'm guessing mine is early 60's.( I was totally surprised to find, after looking real closely, that this one was made in China!)

Wondering how these bows were regarded.

Thanks for looking.

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stemmler bows?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Hmmm.... never heard of China-made bows from US-based companies back then.  Can you post some pics of your Stemmler?

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Wish I could, but somehow I have never been able to get any to post, and can only send 'em via email. Struck me as very unusual to see "China" under the Stemmler logo, given the time period.

Curious too, that I lived in the same county the bows were normally made back then. I only acquired the bow about 20 years ago, while living in the Adirondacks.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
That is a mystery.  Trade relations with China was practically non-existant in the 60's and it only began to improve after Nixon travelled there in 1972.  

I believe it was not until the 80's that goods really began flowing in from China, so having a bow made in the early 60's from China would be very odd in my opinion...and a rather unique collector's piece.

I would like to see some pics, so email me and I will post this "odd duck".

[email protected]
Lon Scott

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen. Hang in there a bit, and I'll work on getting some pics together and emailing them over.

The bow isn't very pretty to look at; I did it some injustice filing down the shelf/sideplate, and trying to straighten the limb, when I was starting out with it. I'll avoid close-ups of those!

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
OK Lon, pics emailed.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
Let's see if this works...

Lon Scott

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
Note that the markings indicate "AMO" which became a standard for archery mfgs. in about 1968...so the bow is made after that time.  

Someone wrote that Stemmler was one of the earliest mfg. of bows dating to the 50's and made bows into the 70's.  I also read that many folks agree the quality varies from crappy to very good.
Lon Scott

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Wow, I guessed wrong on the vintage. I was thinking it looked like a "59er" sort of design.
Given it must have been after '68 (great bit of info about the AMO
fact), there's a 70 in the serial number - may be the year.

The bow is very, very simple - not even a groove (vertical) in the limb, very plain riser, etc. Extremely light in the hand.

Knew it wasn't anything special, I just want to know a little about it, since it's all I'm shooting right now. My Javaman Falcon is waiting patiently 'till my shoulder heals.

Thanks again, all.  What a wealth of help, and knowledge - as always.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©