INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Thompson Collectable.  (Read 951 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
Thompson Collectable.
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Several years ago I had the opportunity to talk with two of Maurice Thompson's great-grand sons who reside a short distance from my Mother's home in Georgia.  Maurice's personal papers are in the Special Collections Section at Emory University in Atlanta, GA.  I spent a day at Emory going though as much material as I could and taking notes on a legal pad.  The staff in the Special Collections Dept. put me in a room under their watchful eye and allowed me a note pad and pencil and not more than two items at one time.  

The volume of material was so vast I needed a way to acquire copies of articles, letters, etc., and ask if that was possible.  Yes, but you need written permission from Maurice Thompson's heirs.  They provided me the contacts and I talked with the two great-grandsons and told them what I had in mind for some of the material and need for other information.  I sent them a form to complete providing me the necessary clearance.

From there forward all I had to do was email Emory a request form on the item and storage address from the Collections Catalog.  They'd copy the requested material, mail it and send me an invoice for the cost and I'd return a check in payment.  I owe these two gentlemen much.  I've been cleaning up my files on Thompson lately and came across this letter from one of the brothers.  It is one of my most prized collectables.  

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thompson Collectable.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Very nice Cliff.Great job in keeping that history alive.

Online Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
:)     :)   !!

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
The Thompson Collection in the Special Collections Department of Emory University in Atlanta, GA is open to anyone.  I haven't dealt with them for several years but I had to sign in with a guard downstairs before being sent up to the Department.  If you are interested in viewing/researching the collection I would recommend contacting them via email for a copy of the collection with item title and locations.  That way you can plot out your priorities before arriving to make the most of your time.  

Atlanta is a real pain to drive in and Emory is downtown.  I would recommend hitting Emory by 9:00 AM and leaving Emory by 2:30 PM.  They will likely inform you of which lot to park in with the easiest walk to their building.  If not, be sure to ask.  I found them to be most helpful.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Good stuff Cliff...love that letter too!

I picked up a copy of your "Toxo in Arcadia" book from Fred Anderson a couple years ago and agree it's hard to put down.
Lon Scott

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
That is very, cool, Cliff!

I need to find s copy of your book!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©