INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Roy Case: Bowhunting Pioneer  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roy Case: Bowhunting Pioneer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
I thought these letters may be interesting to this post.One from 1929 #& the other from 1931.At this time Roy was the President & Fred Kibbe was the Sec. Treas.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
Case was the grandson of the late J. I. Case of threshing machine fame.  

He used a sight while hunting and point of aim on targets.

Forrest Nagler's book "The Bow and Arrow for Big Game" has interesting material on Case.  

He and his three sons hunted the famed Wilcox Ranch in Utah.  In a phone conversation I had with Waldo Wilcox a few years back, Waldo said Roy and his boys were fine folks.  He stated most all the bowhunters he entertained over the years were "stand-up" people.

Case penned a long running column in "The Bowhunter" and "National Bowhunter" as well as numerous other articles in a variety of archery periodicals.  A huge amount of information on and by Case in the old periodicals.

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
I find it interesting( as far as I am aware) none of the commercial archery manufacturer's or supplier ever talked Mr Case into lending his name to one of their product lines to increase commercial sales....
As avid an archer as Mr Case was. And being as noted for his many accomplishment as he was.  Plus being as generous an ambassador of archery as he was. I would have thought any of the many commercial archery companies would have been glad to capitalize off of Mr Case's fame as an archer.
However, other than his early broadheads,(which you could say he sold commercially), there are only a few other miscellaneous items found with his name on them.  The only bows are ones he made(or had made) for himself, or to give as gifts(and there are only a few of these).

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pack animal:
I find it interesting( as far as I am aware) none of the commercial archery manufacturer's or supplier ever talked Mr Case into lending his name to one of their product lines to increase commercial sales....
Pack Animal - Times were much less commercialized in the 1920s to the 1950s as opposed today. Because of the substantial family fortune, Roy Case retired while in his 20s and spent a great deal of the rest of his life enjoying and promoting the sport of archery (not specific products like the shameful infomercial self promotions that we see all too often today). Simply put, Roy did not have promote anyone's products to make money.  

Roy was one of finest old bowmen who I ever met and he was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. He was also very generous and gave many of us collectors who visited him, many of his personal items. The entire day in the spring of 1983 that I spent with Roy at his lovely old brick home, is one my my fondest memories.  

Roy had his own little archery business and advertised in archery periodicals from May 1928 until the mid 1950s. While he is best known for selling his broadheads, he also advertised his feathering fixture.

Unlike the great Art Young who killed lions, bears, moose, sheep, etc, Roy was not the greatest bowhunter of the era, however, Roy is credited with coining the term "bowhunter" by first combining the bow and hunter, (I have yet to research this credit). Unlike Howard Hill, Roy did not star in "The Adventures of Robin Hood", and was never regarded as the world's greatest trick shot or greatest archer. And unlike Fred Bear, Roy Case never started with almost nothing and build the largest archery business in the world.

Roy Case was one of many bowman of national note, who in his day was known by everyone in the archery business, but like dozens of other great old timers, today he largely unknown outside the Wisconsin area and the long time historians/collectors.

The fact that Roy was inducted in the Archery Hall of Fame, says volumes about his contributions and importance to our sport.  

If you read every issue of every year of every 1920s to the 1950s archery periodical, you will learn about all the great old timers, including Roy Case. Complete sets of these periodicals are worth the price of admission.

Rick - Great Letters!
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the testimonial and remembrance Wade...
It is great to hear a little bit of personal insight about who the person behind the name actually was.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I'm really enjoying this thread, and learning more about Mr. Case. I just wish I had more to contribute than the video. Thanks again.

Bob

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
I loved the video--That made my day...first time I've seen it.Thanks....Rick

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »
Have seen the video before, and it was very interesting to watch it again. Earlier, I had bitten my tongue pretty hard and said nothing. However, now in the name of historical accuracy, I simply must clear up something in the clip that can be very misleading...

Near the beginning of the 7 min, 41 sec clip, Kaleb makes the statement...

"My father was the first to get a deer with the bow and arrow during a hunting season..."  

The critical word omitted from this sentence is the word "Wisconsin". What the statement should have been is...

"My father was the first to get a deer with the bow and arrow during a WISCONSIN  hunting season..."  

Several bowmen of European decent took deer with a bow and arrow in the United States prior to 1930, dating back as far as 53 years earlier, 1877, when Will Compton took his first deer with the bow at age 14, (in Nebraska of all states).

In 1867, Nebraska was granted Statehood, and well before 1877 had established hunting seasons for deer, elk and antelope.  

Being a native Nebraskan, lifelong bowman, hunter and collector of archery memorabilia, I have expended considerable resources to acquire our earliest game laws dating back to the days of the Nebraska Territory (before Statehood).  

When Compton took his first deer in 1877, he became the first recorded bowman of European decent to take a deer with the bow and arrow during a hunting season anywhere in the United States.

Compton took his first deer 11 years before Roy Case was born in 1888.

As a matter of fact, Compton had already taken 20 deer, 2 elk and 4 antelope before Roy Case was born.

None of this takes anything away from Roy Case and his 1930 deer. This post is intended to simply bring more of the facts to light, all of which few if any other bowmen have ever read or heard.  

The first deer taken on an archery license, during an archery only season, was 1937 in Michigan by William VanVorst.

Although Wisconsin established an archery only deer season in 1934 they did not issue an archery deer permit for that season until several years later. Bowmen bought a regular firearm deer license and used it during the archery season.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick Enos:
I loved the video--That made my day...first time I've seen it.Thanks....Rick
I'm glad you enjoyed it Rick, thank you.

Bob

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Very interesting thread -- I had never realized that there was a connection to Case Tractor.  Nice history post!
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Dave -

Case was originally known as the J.I. Case Threshing Machine Company, then expanded into making Steam Engines and Steam Engine Tractors and then for a brief period, cars....

The famous Case logo with Bald Eagle, is very well known

1869 Case Steam Engine on Wheels

1912 Case Steam Engine Tractor

The Case Touring cars are classics, this is the 1917 model...

My favorite is the 1920 Case Touring Car...

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
I knew nothing of the Case car and found it interesting.  By the licene# "CASEXX", it would leave one to believe that the Case Knife company is related, right?

Growing up a farm boy in Tennessee in the 50's and 60's, I do recall a few Case tractors, but they were never as common in the fields as John Deere, Ford, or International Harvester.  

Case was about as common as Allis-Chalmers, but popularity of tractor brand names was most likely regionalized.  Case probably had a greater following elsewhere, but seldom seen in my area.
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
Lon -

After spending a day with Roy Case at his home, have always been interested in Case family history.

They made their big money in the last half of the 1800s and the first part of the 1900s when there wasn't much competition for their Trashing Machines, Steam Engines & Steam Engine Tractors. Later there was much more competition in field with the gasoline engine technology.

Yes, the Case Cars are little known are really cool classics.

Don't think the W.R. Case Knife Company has anything to do with Roy directly as four brothers started Case Knives in 1889, back east in NY or PA.

That "CASEXX" license plate is a little misleading. If you look closely, you can see the Case Trashing Machine Eagle Logo embossed in the top of the radiator cover.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
Wade,

Thanks for the cool pics.  With a little google search,  I understand what you say about Case's dominance with farm machinery about 100 years ago.

OK...so Roy probably had no connection with Case Knives, but that car owner must have had other ideas, huh?     :confused:    

:D
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Lon -

Don't have any idea who is the owner of the Case Touring Car with the "CASEXX" license plate.

Who knows, he may be a Case Car collector as well as a Case Knife collector. Whoever owns it, has a nice car.

Would have to think that anyone with a car like that would have to a very good reason for putting that license plate on it.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
Wade - Interesting history and pics -- thanks for posting them.  I did a little research on the web and found that their 'Eagle' had quite the history as well.  Jerome Case also raced horses and Jay-Eye-See was quite the horse in horse racing circles.  There sure is a lot of history surrounding this family!
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
Some great reading right there.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
I really enjoyed this thread.  Very interesting information about Mr. Case, and Wade's pictures and history added a lot also.

Bernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©