INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: St. Charles Store/T-Bird Advert  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
St. Charles Store/T-Bird Advert
« on: April 23, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
We have had a number of Glenn's works show up here for discussion. Jay sent me this ad earlier today

Thought y'all might like

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St. Charles Store/T-Bird Advert
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
$55.00 and free instruction from Glenn St. Charles!!
If only that offer still stood....
And such high postage just to mail that add out. My how things have changed.
Neat post from a bygone era!!!!

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
$55 is hard to pass up, but I think I'll stick around awhile before I meet up with Glenn for the free instruction!

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Does anyone know the year of this ad? I'm guessing mid to late fifties.  Well before my time of having fifty cents let alone $55.  I am trying to see the automobile a bit better but not having much luck telling what make it is. It looks ugly enough to be an International but I just can't quite see enough to be sure.
Brad Lehmann

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
The ad is from 1952-3. No idea about the car.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Also great early photograph of the shop before it was expanded.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Any of you gents recognize the name it is addressed to ?
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Yes, a prominent archer of the era.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Warpedarrow
My first impression of the car was an International as well.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »

1953 International Harvester Travelall

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
Nice find Tony , wish I had one of those to hit the road on a hunting trip.
Thought I would share some arrows of that period as well.
All with Mickey Finn broadheads.
Heres a better shot of the label.

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
I pulled up some of the same information on Internationals, Tony.  Old photographs are full of clues.  That house/shop appears to be nearly new considering the design of it and the era of the vehicle.
Brad Lehmann

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »

Third class postage "junk mail" was raised from 1 1/2 cents to 2 1/2 cents effective August 1957.

Bjorn's date of 1952-53 sounds good.

Offline RockyLoBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
Another fun thing in the photo is the phone number.  LOgan 4343, they were only 6 digits back then.  Ours was CHerry 4744.  They later added a seventh digit and ours went to CHerry 3 4744.  In time they dropped the names completely and we went to 243 4744.  I grow up about a mile from the shop and bought my first bow from Glenn in 1965 when I was 15.  It was a Bear Kodiak and it cost $59.95.  I also bought a dozen custom made arrows from him.  Six with bear broadheads and 6 with field points all with beautiful red, white and blue cresting along with real barbed feathers.  They cost a whopping $18.50.  As more folks became bowhunters in the area the shop became more like our club than a shop.  When we needed a dose of bowhunting or archery we’d stopped in to see the St. Charles family.  We’d usually drank coffee and shot the breeze for a few hours before heading out.  Before I’d leave each time I’d always buy something even if I didn’t need it.  It was my small way to make sure the shop always stayed open and to say thank you for another fun time. The day the shop closed I cried and I’m not afraid to admit that.  I still see Jay often and I still have Suzanne make all my arrows.  I told her once that to have anyone else make my arrows would feel the same as cheating on my wife.  Those were glorious years and I am forever grateful to all the St. Charles family for including me in to their fold.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by RockyLoBow:
Another fun thing in the photo is the phone number.  LOgan 4343, they were only 6 digits back then.  Ours was CHerry 4744.  They later added a seventh digit and ours went to CHerry 3 4744.  In time they dropped the names completely and we went to 243 4744.  I grow up about a mile from the shop and bought my first bow from Glenn in 1965 when I was 15.  It was a Bear Kodiak and it cost $59.95.  I also bought a dozen custom made arrows from him.  Six with bear broadheads and 6 with field points all with beautiful red, white and blue cresting along with real barbed feathers.  They cost a whopping $18.50.  As more folks became bowhunters in the area the shop became more like our club than a shop.  When we needed a dose of bowhunting or archery we’d stopped in to see the St. Charles family.  We’d usually drank coffee and shot the breeze for a few hours before heading out.  Before I’d leave each time I’d always buy something even if I didn’t need it.  It was my small way to make sure the shop always stayed open and to say thank you for another fun time. The day the shop closed I cried and I’m not afraid to admit that.  I still see Jay often and I still have Suzanne make all my arrows.  I told her once that to have anyone else make my arrows would feel the same as cheating on my wife.  Those were glorious years and I am forever grateful to all the St. Charles family for including me in to their fold.
Heck of a first post, Rocky. Welcome. I have a doz arrows recently made by Suzanne. I can't bring myself to shoot them. She included an arrow signed by Glenn when she shipped them to me. I'm on the east coast and too young to have good memories like that, but seem to treasure the St. Charles family as well.

Thanks for joining and posting.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline RockyLoBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
Bud – It’s nice to see others that enjoy what the St. Charles family has and still is bringing to Archery and Bowhunting.  Your comments about the arrows that Suzanne made for you tells me you not only love our sport but also how our traditional gear is as much a piece of art as it is a tool.  As a self-professed Baseball-aholic I know that to be the best at that sport you have to love the practice as much if not more than the game.  And when you see a professional ball player smelling his leather mitt or rubbing that Ash or Maple bat you know he loves his equipment as much as we bowhunters love ours.  Just looking at our archery equipment is enough to conjure up images of another hunt.  I think that’s why we display it in our game rooms.  Over the last 50 years Suzanne has made dozens of arrows for me most of which I shoot and hunt with.   Back in the days of their shop she had a special tub with my name on it as I asked her to save every 90/95 splined shaft she’d find when splining her shipments.  I bought everyone she’d gather because as most bowhunters know it’s hard to find 90/95’s in that 540 to 560gr. wt. range.  Her finished arrows are always so beautiful that for a time I asked her if she’d make a 13th arrow every time she had an order for a dozen from other archers.  She’d set aside those extra arrows and when she’d get a dozen or so I’d buy the whole lot.  I have quivers full of them in my game room.  Everyone is a piece of art and friends, especially non-hunters, love looking at them. I know you mentioned that the arrows Suzanne made for you seem too special to shoot.  Here’s an idea you might consider if you love beautiful arrows as much as I do.  For years now, when I go on a hunt I bring a bunch of special “one of a kind” arrows, always made by Suzanne.  I bring enough for each hunter in the group. These are always beautiful arrow including broadheads.   During the hunt I ask every hunter to sign the arrows with a paint pen.  I always put the date and kind of hunt on the arrow and on the last day of the hunt I give every hunter one of the arrows as a keepsake.  I have quivers full of those signed arrows too.  Sometimes, usually after my wife goes to bed, I’ll sit in my game room and look over the different arrows from different hunts.  The memories flood back in to my mind like the hunts were yesterday.  Those images are better than pictures sometimes.  I’ve had many guys tell me the arrows I’ve given them are special to them too so it’s an idea you might consider.  If nothing else you’ll end up with a bunch of beautiful and really cool arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©