INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1960 Kodiak Special Deluxe remodel  (Read 2048 times)

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
1960 Kodiak Special Deluxe remodel
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Some will like it others will hate it ...

Currently working on my wifes bow. I collected a 1959 Kodiak (my birth year and the year Alaska became a State) for myself and my wife asked me, wheres mine? She was born in 1960. I have always loved the Kodiak Deluxe model so I bid on several and finally got one coming my way and in my hands.

As typical for me, I had to modify it to my liking. Lowered the shelf by 5/8" and put a nice radius on it. I also rounded the belly side of the riser as I have never liked that squared off look and bulky appearance of the stock bow.

The final shape is complete, now I need to finish repairing a few stress lines in the limbs and then re-finish so the wife can have some fun roving in the woods with a classic in her hands.

Once I get the finish on, I will post some pics of it for all of you to enjoy or hate. lol.

[/url] [/IMG]
There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1960 Kodiak Special Deluxe remodel
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
I'll be looking for the final result.  I've not had much luck hiding the stress lines on clear glass so I am hoping that you come up with a solution.
Brad Lehmann

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 03:03:00 AM »
I'll be looking for the final result.  I've not had much luck hiding the stress lines on clear glass so I am hoping that you come up with a solution.
Brad Lehmann

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Not sure that I will be able to hide them, as they are already there! However, I do hope to stop them from growing any longer. I have taken a hypodermic needle and infused super glue into the stress cracks as the bow was strung and exercised. I think that helps the glue penetrate as far as possible into the crack. We will see.

I will say, I am impressed on how well the cast is on these models. I think the narrow limb tips aid in the speed due to less mass being slung around per draw weight.

Offline jim g

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
Do you guy's think Bear will make a remake of the 1960 Kodiak Special Deluxe in the near future like they did with some past models?

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
Not sure but I think they should. If I had my say, I would alter some of the things about their vintage line of bows, like lowering the shelf and putting more of a radius to it ... basically old school bow with a modern twist.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
No more reason to create a remake of the Special Deluxe than there is to remake the Kodiak Deluxe...I like the way the woods are arranged in the Deluxe better...and while they are at it why not do a butcher block i beam 64 inch version like mine

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
I seem to remember a thread on here with Wade and Bowdoc altering a shelf.  Maybe I have those involved mistaken, but they were changing the shelf around to the way that Fred had his personal bows cut.
Brad Lehmann

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
I know Bowdoc modified the shelf on his favourite 64 Kodiak...Fred had them modified to rest the arrow on his bowhand

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Bowdoc has modified several Super K. shelves for me. A much nicer look and feel, in my opinion. Looks like a very nice job highlife. Anxious to see it finished.

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
I dont see a deluxe in the future of Bear Archery with all the flawed glass on the market.

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
I find it interesting that on all of Freds personal bows the shelf was lowered to mimic what he grew up shooting with ... Osage self bows which are shot off the knuckle basically ... But had all of his production bows designed for an elevated rest.

I agree, a butcher block I-beam option would be awesome on the new Bear production Trad bow line.

I also like how the woods are arraigned on the Kodiak Deluxe better than the Special Deluxe.
I have all the sanding complete and am getting ready to apply some finish. More to follow.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Pics would be nice for sure.

With Bear charging $850 for that new Super Kodiak (and folks waiting in line to buy) I cannot imagine what they would charge for a deluxe.

I will need a bigger cookie jar.
Lon Scott

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
I got sick of sanding around the original decals ... ordered some replacement decals from Alan Harford to make her look good as new!

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Thanks to Al Harford for the new Bear Transfers and Scott Reed at Vintage Works for the spray on finish, the bow looks amazing and is at home hung up next to my 59' Kodiak at our cabin.

"  

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Another for good measure ...

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
OK, one more ...

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Had to share a pic of my daughters college graduation present, a Vintage Works 1959 Kodiak replica. This bow is absolutely beautiful and shoots as good as it looks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©