INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Postman brought me a box today (pics added)  (Read 2257 times)

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Postman brought me a box today (pics added)
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
Inside the box was a 1962 Kodiak Special. I bought this one, bow and freight, for less than $100.  A quick look over and it is exactly what I am looking for; an old solid bow that is totally ate up with ugly.  I will start cleaning and sanding on it today.  It looks as if another paint job is in my near future as someone drilled four holes in the belly of this bow and I don't think that I will be able to match the color.  It will be fun to try though.

When I pulled the bow out of the box, a smaller box fell out.  In it was a Bear pocket quiver and a Nelson arrow holder.  The arrow holder is a bit of a curiosity for me.  No way that I would ever drill a bow for something like it, but it does tell me that whoever owned the bow probably was a hunter and wanted to nock an arrow before the deer showed up.  I will share some "after" pictures once I have this one cleaned up.

Brad Lehmann

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Postman brought me a box today (pics added)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
What a treasure!! That Rosewood is going to be stunning!! Congrats, and thanks for the pics.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
I've owned a couple of these and found them to be one of Bear's best shooters.  I finally found a keeper in a 63" version in the mid-40# weight range.

Getting use to that Robin egg-colored glass took some time, but it does say "vintage" for sure.
Lon Scott

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
Nice long limbs for a classic shooter!!

I have one just like it that came with a feather rest. Have to get some pics up. One of Bear's nicer productions.

69" and 35#'s and the holes as they are no doubt this bow saw some tournament shooting!

I've seen some of your cleanups before Brad, so anxious to see this one done. Should be sweet!! And the price was certainly right.............

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
I have one also and I agree one of the nicest shooting Bear bows I ever shot. I was lucky and found one in pristine condition years ago. One that has stayed in the stable I really like it.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Have to agree one of Bear's finer shooting bows.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 01:27:00 AM »
I have a 63" Mid 40's#. It is the only old Bear I can't make quiet!?   :dunno:

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
This Brazilian rosewood is giving me fits.  I thought that I had the riser well sanded and ready for some finish.  A test coat revealed every little bit of old finish that I had missed.  So, another hour of sanding, an alcohol bath to strip some of the oil away, and a good coat of water based polyurethane to seal it were in order.  I will know this afternoon if I can proceed or will have to try something else.

I also have a 1959 Kodiak Special that is nearing the finish line.  New dry transfers came in the mail yesterday so I will apply them this afternoon.  Keeping my fingers crossed but still have high hopes that it will be my best yet.  Getting the yellowed finish off of the limbs makes that model really stand out from the others on the rack.
Brad Lehmann

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Brad, I'm glad you were the one that grabbed this one up. I had to sit on my hands..my wife would kill me if I bought another old bow on the pretext it was for my daughters to shoot,but I was guessing there is a real beauty of a bow under that "patina" . I still watch and wait for a 63" 50'ish# '62 KS to come around.

Can't wait to see photos of the re-finished product.    :campfire:
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
I really don't know what to think about this one.  I will be surprised if it turns out good as the wood is so dark.  I have spent most of the afternoon attempting to match the glass color so that I can use four dots of paint to cover the screw holes and not have to paint the whole limb.

It really is hard to get excited on this one.  This has to be the plainest looking of all of the Kodiak Specials.  Now, the 59 that is in the finishing stages is another story. That one makes me smile.
Brad Lehmann

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »

The one that is making me smile.  It won't be long now!
Brad Lehmann

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
That 59 KS is a thing of beauty!
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
Larry, that is about how dark mine will probably turn out.  I have trouble seeing the grain when the color gets that deep.  I think that the Brazilian rosewood makes a better accent wood than a main wood for a riser.  But, it is what it was and Fred decided to build risers out of the stuff so that is what we have to work with fifty six years later.

Yours is a good looking bow.  I hope mine looks that good but that color on the limbs is really messing with me.  I've compared every green and blue color from two paint companies now and can't find a match, all for four dots of paint to hide the screw holes.
Brad Lehmann

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Hi Brad
No doubt the 59's are in a class by themselves and yours is looking very nice!

I've done some hole repair color blending in the past and found that it took a bit of mixing  several colors and then trial, error and sand off in order to come up with a close match. I actually used Testor's hobby paint! Of course you think you have it right and then after the first or second clear coat goes on only to find (crap),try again.
I remember the bow you painted over the very stressed limbs and how well that came out. Lot's of work but the end result was certainly nice!

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Yesterday I started putting finish on the 62.  This morning the 59 was wet sanded with the intent of polishing it out and calling it good.  I saw one little line that I didn't like so I sanded that out and put another light coat of finish on it.  Maybe tomorrow, maybe not.  So far this is my best refinish yet and I am in no hurry to end the process.

The 59 is looking so good that I decided to start on my 1960 the day before yesterday.  All that it lacks is cleaning up the string grooves, replacing the coin, then it will start getting some finish. One of these days fall will arrive and I will feel like working on fence, planting wheat, and doing some deer hunting.  But, it is still in the mid nineties most of the afternoon so I just sit outside and mess with these old bows.

Brad Lehmann

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
I have done all that can be done for this bow. A lot of time was wasted trying to match color so that I could just hide the screw holes.  That didn't work and I ended up painting the belly side.  Things are always easier the second time around and this was no exception.  I might have spent an hour and a half putting new color on and then striking the lines along the edges.

This is where the ugly screw holes were

Medallion side

Sight window side

upper tip, if you are going to refinish one, detail on the tips makes a big difference in a mediocre job and a great job

A little larger picture of the back of the bow

I managed to save the serial number.  My handwriting is no match for the factory writing.

On the rack with the 61 behind it.  While I was working on the bow I had the impression that the colors between the 61 and 62 model years was close.  This picture proves me wrong.

I have a 1960 Kodiak Special ready for dry transfers and after deer season I intend to give the 1962 Kodiak a clean up.  I just don't want to start yet because I intend to hunt with it some.
Brad Lehmann

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
And I Forgot to brag a little.  That bow cost less than $100. I bought a 1965 KS cheap this week.  In a few days I will see if it needs any work.  The pictures of it on the big site were terrible so ???.
Brad Lehmann

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
That bow is beautiful!  Fabulous work.  Thank you for sharing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
That bow is beautiful!  Fabulous work.  Thank you for sharing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©