INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Who's hunting vintage?  (Read 4474 times)

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who's hunting vintage?
« on: September 18, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
This will shock those who know my affection for Bear bows....but here's mine.  66" Ben Pearson.  My 7 year old son loves this bow and has laid claim to it.  He wants it when he's big enough.  

I hope to add a little mojo to it from his father and keep his interest in archery going by taking my first trad deer with "his" bow!

What is your vintage set up?

TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's hunting vintage?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
That is a good looking bow.  It is o.k. to skin a Pearson but I believe that there are severe penalties for skinning a Bear.

I will play it by feel this year.  I haven't been working for several months so it is pretty important to kill something and drag it home.  I will start the hunts with a 61 or 62 Kodiak Magnum.  If things drag on too long I will carry a wheelie bow on a couple of hunts if I am seeing deer but the shots are too long for my skill with trad gear.  Bow hunting gets pretty tough here once gun season starts the first weekend in November and by December the bucks are pretty much nocturnal.  The second week of December if I am not finished, I will break out the rifle for the 250+ yard shots.  

I am not truly vintage.  I use old bows but my arrows are carbon with Magnus broadheads.  All of my woody arrows are too short or I would use them.  I don't think any of them are younger than forty or fifty years old so it is a shame that they so short.
Brad Lehmann

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
Actually my all time favorite bow is a skinned 1962 Grizzly!

This Pearson is marked xx45# @28".  I draw a bit over 29".  Its a Pinto and I have been told it's likely a 1966 but I am not sure.  It's a fine shooting bow

I will shoot carbons out of it or a cane arrow that was gifted to me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
My oh my...that is a nice vintage Pearson.  I recall a pic of the great hunter Bob Swinehart carrying a Pearson Pinto like that in Africa.

My "vintage" bow is a Cascade Brush Hawk.  It may not be an oldie, but they've not been made for a few years.
Lon Scott

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Pick one from my signature block. Please.    :dunno:

Actually, I went out opening day with my dad's 1943 selfbow. Today I found a spot that calls out for the '66 K-Mag. When it snows hard, I'll show a certain 57 year old blonde a good time in the woods. And so it goes ...

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
That Pearson is very pretty; I'm going with one that is about a 1971 vintage - does that count?
SWA Spyder

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
Colin,that's purty!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
That's a sweet bow and they shoot very well.
Good luck!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
The color setup and rework is just outstanding! No wonder your son is laying future claim to it.... He's inherited good taste.
Hopefully pictures as you go along?!!   :)

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
I too will hunt with a 57 year old blonde this year to start the season . A 1958  Kodak  in a rare 56"which is 50# at 26 " as marked . Have not had time to hunt  much . But starting this Saturday  I will be out more regular . Looking to tag a moose ( either bull or cow ) and a whitetail ( buck or doe ) . Then I am switching to the first bow I hunted with after filling my first tag to a Bow River Whitetailer longbow 61# at 26 reflex deflex Yew lams with coco bolo riser . Not considered vintage as it is only a teenager at 18 years old .

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
I have a nice old Wilson Brothers Black Widow one piece on the way from Australia...it will see some action later in the season...I am one of 3 Wilson Brothers so there ought to be some mojo in that bow for me

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 06:45:00 AM »
Thank you for all the nice comments on the bow.  It's really not in the greatest of conditions but wow does it show up well on film.  I have concluded to give it a proper refinish after this season and have real skins put on (in lieu of the one stringer limb stations that are on it.  

Yesterday was our opener.  No dice on deer but a beautiful day to hunt

How about some other pics of these blondes you speak of?  I know Dave will post.  I enjoy seeing old bows hunt, and yes, for me 1971 is vintage!

I figure anything before 1985 but there's no rule on that
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Going to use a mid 70's "B" mag Bear T/D with #3 limbs @ 43#.    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
Ron, I'm with you.  My widow is all set up; but I just put my old A mag together and picked up a new Sue Shaw string.  60" 48# @28"; Going to play with some 30" shafts tomorrow and see what she likes best.  I have some old 1918's and 1920's that I think can work.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 05:14:00 AM »
Nice Pearson! Myself, I'll be using a 1999 Jack Howard Gamemaster Jet this year. My new sweetheart.

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
Nice Pearson! Myself, I'll be using a 1999 Jack Howard Gamemaster Jet this year. My new sweetheart.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
Well, after a good shooting session, it's a toss up between the 2114's and the 1920's.  Bare shaft they were both flying like darts out to 25 yards.  Fletched one of each up and will try the broadheads tomorrow.  I only have 4 1920's and lots of 2114's.  Will keep you posted.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
I took my 55 pound 1960 Kodiak lefty along as a back up bow for elk hunting last week...well thanks to reading a post about heavy arrows I decided to move that bow to the number one position...we did not manage to find an elk the day we hunted together but it was still nice to share some time...I know it sounds kind of bizarre but with the string I have on that bow I shoot 250 spine Dangerous Game arrows with 75 grain inserts and 250 grain VPA broadheads...those arrows weigh a bit over 900 grains and I have Chronied them at over 150 fps

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Well, I scrapped the A mag idea and took my '70B to NY.   My #1 white tip 50#ers felt light, they read 46# on the scale.  I put on a set of white tip #3  50#ers and all was good.  Wed morning the B and I connected on a big old doe.  When we got back to my buddy Tim's place, he put on Uncle Ted's tribute to Fred Bear.  A fitting end to a fine hunt. Not bad for a 45 year old classic.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
Very cool Shick!
Any pictures of the bow and doe?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©