INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Who's hunting vintage?  (Read 4477 times)

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's hunting vintage?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
'24, I can email someone to post pics.  I'm not talented enough to post them here.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Sent you a PM.  I would be happy to post
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Very cool Dennis! Nice bow and there is quite a bit of kharma in your gear! Great stuff!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Check this out on pow wow!  Getting it done with a 1963 Grizzly!  This is sweet.

I have owned about 2 dozen Grizzlies.  1963 is likely the fastest of them all in my opinion.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=146741;p=1
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the bump on my first kill thread buddy. I hadn't really set out to hunt with a vintage bow for the sake of going old school. I got the bow that day and I loved the way it felt....and for the first time, everything came together perfectly. I shot MAYBE ten arrows through the Grizzly before I left for the woods. One shot, one kill on the doe. So I've shot it 11 times at the most. Which isn't to say that I don't practice....I shoot almost everyday...tens of thousands of shots invested in this deer.

I'm almost affraid to shoot it again now. I don't want to use up any of it's lucky shots lol. I absolutely love the bow though. Best feeling Bear I've ever handled. Now, I'd like to find a 63 Kodiak dogleg in the 50# range. I've heard tell they are sweet shooters too.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
shick..NICE !!!!! Love the bow...and great deer...whitetail doe are fine eating !!!!took a moose last year with a 70B ,,probably my favorite bow I own !!!! congratz

the riser is heavy and seems to give me great accuracy..they are smooth to draw ...and the mojo is second to none !!

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
Brad, it always wasn't my favorite.  After I had the grip/shelf modified 'ala Grant Young', the bow and I became one. I left it get away from me but got it back and it's here to stay.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
nice Dennis...when I received mine ..it fit real nice....and th 1970 B is real pretty too !!!

I have a green stripe B as well but the grip is not natural...I tend to hold the bow with just the pointing finger and thumb and my palm is very light on the handle and it works...just have to remember that when I shoot it..it has a narrow throat and if I hold it like a pistol it torques....

I am adding some mammoth tusk "bears" that I had made, on the takedown bracket on the green stripe
a jeweler carved them identical to the bear logo for me... I got the mammoth tusk in South Dakota while turkey hunting a few years back...

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
Brad, your mammoth tusk 'bears' sounds like a nice addition to the green stripe.  I found that the type II's and greenstripers are just a little too narrow for my liking.  I had the throat of mine 'massaged' just a bit and it is 'dandy.  I'm looking for a set of #1 white tip limbs that read 52# on the B.  That's what the bow came originally when my buddy Jack ordered back when.  I have a set of #1 white tips that read 49# on the B.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 05:03:00 AM »
1969 Grizzly, and a Razorhead.

Took him on the ground with a hommade Surewood shaft.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
I took out my 62 Kodiak for a quick hunt this AM. Even had one of Granddaddy's Razorheads in the quiver.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Chris, that's a dandy right there.  The Grizzly's just keep on going.  Congratulations.
Marc, take that '62 Kodiak on another trip to the woods.  Good luck.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
Shick,
I hunt the 62 some every year. It was my Granddad's and it will always be my most valuable bow no matter what else I have around here. It really holds it own against most of what's being made now.

A couple of years ago I missed a 10 yard shot on a buck because I was so excited I was going to make a kill with it I never picked a spot.

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
My 73 KMag again this year.
Barry

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Wow!  Nice deer Chris!  Those 56" Grizzlys are sweet hunting bows!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline H.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Hunting with a Ben Pearson Cougar and have a Ben Pearson Pinto on it's way.  Looking forward to getting it delivered later this week.

H.P.
US Army Vet (Ranger/Airborne/Air Assault) Desert Storm/Iraq/Afghanistan.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
congratz Chris...nice deer and another nice BEAR bow !!!

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
The vintage bows got me thinking about a Quote my friend once said that sticks in my mind about the speed of an arrow. We were talking about FPS and we agreed that the most important attributes of a bow is not the speed ( as long as it is good enough to effectively kill efficiently..with kenetic force of poundage and arrow weight) its the accuracy and how quiet they are for the archer...
his Quote " the deer doesn't know how many FPS the arrow is going when it hits his vitals "
point is these vintage bows have been doing the job for over 50 years and continue to do so..just as effective as any modern bow...
I hunt vintage a lot and have  custom bows too but regardless what I an hunting I don't give it a second thought about the job a vintage bow does...and how about the MOJO !!!!!

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
trubl, I agree.  I have some customs, but never once doubted the effectiveness of vintage bows.
Surely the deer have not become bionic in the last 50 years.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
Been shooting a mid '70s Bear Takedown, an A magnesium with No 2 53# limbs. Killed a small 7 point with it in mid October. I've been shooting my '66 Kmag the last few days, may take it to the woods this weekend.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©