3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What happens when...  (Read 890 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
What happens when...
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
What happens when you shoot a bow using 3 fingers under that wasn't tillered for it? How does it effect arrow flight? Is there any difference in where your nocking point should be?

Now how would it benefit a 3 finger under shooter to swith to a bow tillered for it?

Thank you.

P.S. If this should be in the shooters forum feel free to move it. I am never sure where to put my post but seem to get more responces in pow wow
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: What happens when...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
A bow tillered for three under has a little less tiller in the lower limb than the upper limb.  Or, saying that another way, the lower limb is a little stiffer.  It's stiffer on a bow tillered for split finger as well, but three-finger under tiller is even more stiff by comparison.  Theoretically, moving the nocking point up on a bow that is not tillered for three fingers under would shift a little of the draw force toward the upper limb, in effect weakening it and stiffening the lower limb  The amount of change would likely be very small and perhaps unmeasurable.  

In fact, there are a lot of folks shooting three under with bows that weren't tillered for three under.  I would guess that's the case with most three-under shooters.  And they get very good arrow flight.  A bow tillered for three under should be a little easier to tune for three under than one that's not.  That's about the only difference.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:34:00 AM »
I switched to 3 under and simply changed the nock point... I have since ordered at least three custom bows, and never specified any difference.   I think you'll find that most folks shooting 3 under simply tried it on their existing bows.  Put a sliding thread nock point on, shoot a bit and adjust it till you're happy with the flight, then put a regular nock on.  Measure the new nock height above the shelf and it'll probably be real close on all your bows.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
None of my bows are tillered for 3 Under, but that's how I shoot them.  The nock point on all of them came out at +3/8" or a smidge more...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
At the Kalamazoo show this past weekend I was talking about this with Bob Morrison and Dave Sosa.  They said that on most takedown bows all you need to do is back out the limb bolt on the limbs to adjust tiller for three under.  Of course you might lose a pound or two in draw weight, but as long as the limb bolts are long enough the bow will shoot fine.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
I got a bow that was tillered for 3under but shoot it just fine with split, just adjusted the nock point.  My 2 centavos which is less then 2 cents  :D  .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©