3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long bow seems to light  (Read 379 times)

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
Long bow seems to light
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »
I have a long bow that is 47# @28" Now that I've been shooting it (29" draw) It feels like it to light. Alost like I'm pulling back a Kids bow. Should I keep shooting it or move on to a heavier weight.

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long bow seems to light
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:00 AM »
What do you want to do?

That bow is plenty heavy enough to take just about any type of game on this continent.

What would be your motivation for shooting a heavier bow?

If you want to shoot a heavier bow then go ahead. If you're worried about not being able to kill what you're aiming at with the bow you have, then I'd say your fears are probably unfounded. If you aim & hit where you're supposed to, the bow you have is just fine.

'Course if you don't buy & shoot more bows it's gonna be hard to feed the addiction...  :bigsmyl:
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:52:00 AM »
If you are pulling 29 then you are getting maybe 50 lb. With a well place shot that will take anything in this country you want to hunt. If your shooting it good stick with it. Do whats comfortable. Dont overbow yourself.
High on Archery.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
You don't kill critters pulling a bow back. You kill them once you let go of the string and the arrow is going forward. How hard or easy it is to pull your bow back is something that should not be in your mind as you are you are shooting anyway. Things you should be asking yourself is do I you shoot that bow well? Do I want/need another bow (of course, we all do).
lll

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
I am shooting 48 @ 29 and for me this is comfortable. I have total confidence in my bow as far as hunting but I also love to just shoot.At this draw weight I am able to punch alot of holes without tiring.Thats a plus for my accuracy.It also helps pull of that shot after standing in the cold for several hours. Could I build up to a heavier bow? I'm sure. But to me archery is supposed to be fun. Since I am not getting any younger and hope to be shooting for some time to come my next bow will be in this same range.
        Every one is different. Do what is right for you but your bow is definately up to the task. Accuracy is far more important than weight in my mind.

Take care,
                      Ed      :campfire:

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the input.If it's plenty heavy enough to kill large game then it will work great for me. The bow shoot so nice and my shooting is vast improving.
About feeding my addiction, one bow at a time  :goldtooth:

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Beetle Guy, take a look at some of Little feathers posts. You will be surprised what to some is considered light weight can harvest. I have a left shoulder that now reminds me when I try to overbow from thinking I had to use the same weight or close to the wheel bow I used to shoot years ago.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©