INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bow Collectors  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Collectors
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
If you read this Trad Section I am assuming most of you are collectors.
Have you reached that point yet?
When did you wake up one morning and say "I've become a bow collector"?
How many bows set off your addiction?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Online hardbern

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Collectors
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Yep! in my case i needed to buy a "Border" bow to join Border Archery's 3d shoot. i got 1 for me (a '76 Comet) & 1 for the wife (a 60's Royal Scots McTavish) & then a Hoyt Xpert (from the Comet's previous owner) & then ....
I now have circa 65 "Border" bows dating from about 1948-1978 & another 100 bows covering most British bows in that same period (& some English longbows from circa 1900) & some US/American bows with strongs links to Britain (e.g. bowyer was British & migrated to US) or early retailer imports to Britain.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
Mr hardbern

How about sharing some pics and info posting on some of the older bows.

Your collection sounds very interesting and shared info would be appreciated!

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
I really didn't start this topic to post pics of certain bows. Bens reply was sufficient.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!!!!!!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
My wife thinks I'm a collector of everything, but I like this forum primarily for all the history lessons available.

...and hardbern, I agree with Larry...postings and pics of your collection sounds very interesting.
Lon Scott

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
50 some bows, 1/2 of them Zebrawood. An absolutely beautiful wood.

Several 100 broadheads.

Bamboo flyrods, cartridges/bullets, shotgun shell boxes, decoys ......

Almost everything sporting-goods related.

My wifes favorite line .... "Why do you need more of that old junk"

Always been drawn to old stuff, love the history that comes with it.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
Collector, hoarder, I don't know.  I think that a collector would be better organized than myself. I like the late fifties to late sixties bows but lose interest at about 1970.  My collection spans from 1945 to about 1974.  My true interest is taking an old bow that has seen better days and bring it back to it's former glory.
Brad Lehmann

Online hardbern

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
Some of my bows are pictured here:
 https://www.facebook.com/archery.duns/photos_albums
I don't think i've got around to photographing everything ...but one day....
I only discovered "archery" in 2009 a like new converts to a lot of "religions" i became quite zealous (=obsessive compulsive) driven by the desire to see/feel/shoot/etc. everything i'd missed out on before "seeing the light" ;-)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
I consider myself to be a small potatoes collector...1960 Kodiaks...Grayling Bears...and now Wilson Brothers Black Widows

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
The posting and sharing of info from other collector's benefits us all and makes it all the more enjoyable!
Solid information on the older and more unique items can at times be very difficult to come by.

In the past we have been very fortunate to have a few gifted, aggressive researching collectors who have bestowed us with the fruits of their labor. Several of these unique individuals have collections of museum quality and through the posting of pics and info have been able to increase enjoyment for everyone at this site.

Neophytes and long term collectors all have been able to benefit!!       :)  

I'm a lot like Lon in that my wife thinks I collect everything. The home might be hers but the garage is all mine!!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
Well stated Larry...at least when it comes to Bear Archery bows it is pretty safe to say that if it cannot be found here it may not be worth looking for anywhere else

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
I used to collect Bear Grizzlys, and at one point had well over two dozen with some fabulous ones.  I have sold off most of them as I decided to reduce the number.  They were very cool to have but I just decided to stop one day.

I still hang out on this forum and pick up an old bow from time to time.  I still have around 15 bows that are from 1972 and prior.  5 of these are 1959/1960 Alaskans and I likely still have 5 or so Grizzlys.

To answer your question I deemed myself a collector when I decided to own one of each year grizzly from 1959-1972.  I don't view myself as a collector any longer.  I do thoroughly enjoy learning about the history of this sport and bows from the 1950's-1970's.  My favorite older bow I own now is a 1969 Wing Thunderbird, but don't tell that to my Alaskans!! LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
I dabble...but very limited.  I fell in love with looks of a Browning Cobra years ago and said it was one of my bucket list bows.  Got contacted by a gentleman that frequents the forums that is a huge collector of bear, browning, red wing, etc.  he had a Cobra he was willing to help me get my collection started with....so I bought it.  Beautiful Cobra II in MINT condition...may have only been shot a couple times.  I bought another Browning from him later and have 6 or so now...and have sold that many as I worked my way up from nice bows to Brownings in nearly mint condition for my favorites...which are Explorer, Explorer I, Explorer II, Safari II, Cobra II, and Wasp.  I may pick up another Explorer or Explorer II since they are longer lengths...that is not as nice and use it for hunting some in near future.

I really appreciate the help I got in learning about the different bow woods, builders and things to look for here and a couple other forums from some serious collectors.  :)

Thank you all.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
I am a player, not a serious collector. This time last year, I had 4 bows, now I have 4 bows. I don't have a single one of the 2014 foursome. In between were 17 bows that I no longer have.  I learn as much as I can about each bow I fool around with, shoot them all regularly, try to pay attention to the attributes that I like, both aesthetic and functional. I gave away five bows over the course of the year, two to  new aka young archers, one to a new-to-trad archer, one to an injured/disabled archer and two to charitable causes. Few things bring me more joy than when somebody gets a bow from me and sends me photos of them shooting it, their groups, etc. I have a few in mind that I keep an eye out for but , if I ever lay my hands on one of those, I'm probably just as likely to let it go six months later.

Best dancers of 2015: 1962 Bear Polar 50# lefty, 1967 Kodiak Magnum 45# lefty that I got in trade from Denny Sturgis, and the 2010 Trad Gang St. Jude's "Faith" bow, a Dryad Orion that had trouble finding a home ( she has a bad girl reputation, but that's what I like about her).  The ones that I regret letting get away in 2015 without a dance: 1959 Kodiak 56", 65# lefty, 1962 Browning Diana (Oh, my!),and an unidentified recurve that I suspected was a custom-made Root but could just as likely have been made by a guy in his basement. In the meantime, I'm keeping the US Postal Service and occasionally  Canada Post, afloat.       :D
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Anyone else miss the posts from Bjorn, Chuck, Wade and Jeremy? Those were the glory days for me, you know way back around 5 years ago. Thank goodness for archived threads, eh.

DDave

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
Those were the days Dave!  I bought several very nice Grizzlys from Bjorn
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
Mr. Don Ward... The one, only and original bowdoc!      :thumbsup:          :thumbsup:

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Yes Larry...and I left out Trap as well

DDave

Offline cowpie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm not a collector but find my self in this section often. Love the pics of the old bows you guys post on here. I picked up a 68 grizzly in real nice shape and put a b55 string string on it and shoot it often shoots real nice, Do you guys shoot or hunt with them also? Or is this a no no I have a chance to buy an older bow in excellent shape but would hate to buy just have it verses buying a modern bow for hunting with I'm thinking of going up in weight and would love to get an older bear what are your thoughts thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©