INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bow Collectors  (Read 1901 times)

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Collectors
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
Cowpie,

You will have to explain your handle one of these days.

As far as hunting with the old bows, yes..depending on what it is, the condition of the bow, and having a little knowledge about the bow you possess.  For example;  an aluminum lamination bow will probably come apart on you as they had a habit of doing that in 1949 and 1950. This is 2016.  You do the math.  A 1954 Kodiak II, the compass Kodiak was known to break in the riser.  Why take the chance if your bow is intact.  The early version of the 1963 Kodiak Magnum was a real stinker.  If you have one, hang it on the wall, or better yet, sell it to me.

Generally speaking, most of the fiberglass backed bows from say , 1955 on, with just a few exceptions, should be good to shoot if they do not exhibit signs of failure.  Look at the tips as the bottom tip is sometimes damaged from the method used for stringing them.  Use a bow stringer.  Check the glass for cracking.  Cracks running the length of the limb are probably o.k.  Cracks across the limb (not finish cracks) are a warning that the limb is about ready to break.  If you can't tell the difference between a glass crack and a finish crack, post a picture in this forum and ask.  

I often hunt with a 1959 Kodiak, a 1962 Kodiak, and a 1961 Kodiak Magnum.  They are not my everyday practice bows, but I love to shoot and hunt with them.
Brad Lehmann

Offline cowpie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
Thanks Brad I haven't seen the bow yet but the guy said he thinks it's a mid 60's kodiak @ mid 60#. I like the looks of those doglegs also sounds like the mag kinda ruined the rep of the others in 63. I got a 59 kodiak repo when they came out and shoot that the most shoots very well for me it's 50@28. I shot my bud,s  59# widow the other day and the heavier wt seem to keep my form a bit cleaner. My 59 repo at 50 lbs is my heaviest.  Thanks for the info so much knowledge here this is my favorite web site very well run !!!!!!!

Offline cowpie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
Thanks Brad I haven't seen the bow yet but the guy said he thinks it's a mid 60's kodiak @ mid 60#. I like the looks of those doglegs also sounds like the mag kinda ruined the rep of the others in 63. I got a 59 kodiak repo when they came out and shoot that the most shoots very well for me it's 50@28. I shot my bud,s  59# widow the other day and the heavier wt seem to keep my form a bit cleaner. My 59 repo at 50 lbs is my heaviest.  Thanks for the info so much knowledge here this is my favorite web site very well run !!!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©