INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New Bear Archery Book  (Read 6131 times)

Offline papabear08

• Trad Bowhunter
New Bear Archery Book
« on: January 14, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
Guys, there's a new Bear Archery  reference book by Jorge L. Coppen now available and can be purchased on Amazon Books.
Well done and a must have for your library

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bear Archery Book
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
I agree.  It is a great reference book full of information on Bear bows from 1949 - 2015, complete with photos and explanations.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline Twitko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
This is GREAT news .. !!!
I just ordered my copy .. have to wait till Feb 12-18 but looking forward to see (and use) it ... thanks to Jorge (btw. is he here on TG ? )

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
I saw the topic on *********** and just had to have one also.  My copy comes next week.   :D  

Jorge seems like a great guy who has finally done something many of us have wanted for years.  When he hears about this topic here, he may have to visit.     :campfire:
Lon Scott

Offline Ardent Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
Hi Gents:

LOL, I think my ears were burning, Lon! Thanks for the enthusiastic posts on my new book guys. I feel very honored by this! That book was alot of work and an expensive investment ($4429)so I hope I break even.  My goal in writing that book was to preserve the history and heritage of Bear Archery in print forever, recognizing that memories fade and people pass on and take their knowledge with them. Preservation is best done in print. I just wanted to help all the folks asking questions about Bear bows. I wish I had something like this 20 years ago. The book is arranged in chronological order. I have 4 groupings (Hunting Recurves,Hunting Longbows, Target and Youth bows and All-purpose bows. Within those groups the bows are covered in chronological order too (e.g., Grizzly (1949) , Kodiak (1950), Kodiak Deluxe (1960) Kodiak Magnum (1961),  etc.).  Obviously, each timeline is chronological for each bow.  I tried to make chapters were short and easy to read and I was very careful that the information in the tables was correct, since that's the most important part of the procedure. Just grab a bow you want to date, read the chapter for that bow first and then go right to the table and nail it. Hope you guys enjoy it!

And now a quiz for a cash prize:  Given this serial number prefix, what model  bow I this?  "9F""...(sorry it’s not in the book).

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
Bear Alaskan

Offline papabear08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 05:16:00 AM »
Fellas don't forget to write a good review for Jorge on Amazon or wherever you purchase your copy. He deserves it for a job well done !!

Offline Ardent Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
Spot on TonyW! Try these for extra credit:

1. What were the first two digits for the 1984 Bear Medallion target bow serial number prefix?

2. What years was the first year the Kodiak Pony was produced?

3. What was the last year the Lit’L Kodiak was produced?

4. What was the last year the Lady Kodiak was produced? (1997?)

5. What was the last year the Bear Hunter Take-Down was made? (1988 to ?)

6. What was the last year of production for the Fred Bear Take-Down Hunter (1997?)

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
Jorge -

What I don't know could fill a book. It seems you just wrote it.

Time to order my copy before your first edition sells out.

Online Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
After reading about Mr. Coppen and seeing his input on the ***********,,,,, along with all the positive feedback, I ordered one up.

Appears to be an interesting, well thought out piece of reference material. Very much appreciated  on my part that someone finally stepped up to it!

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
I ordered one last Fri. It will be here in about a week. No doubt it will be read more than once !

Offline Ardent Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Quoting Al Reader from an article he wrote "The Good old Days Are Now" back in 1997: "There are no current books on the market that can help identify even the age of most old bows." and "I have spent many enjoyable days with many of the Grayling employees and even they are not sure of the serial ranges."

Read the full article here:

http://archeryfreaks.weebly.com/what-year-is-your-bear-archery-bow.html

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
I just got a copy in today's mail so I haven't had the chance to read through much of it. I skipped to a few bows that I "thought" I knew about, I was extremely impressed and already picking up knowledge I never knew. This is going to be an invaluable resource. Way to go Jorge!
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
Got my copy today also.  Very well done;  thorough with plenty of photos and historical information.  No regrets on this purchase, well worth the price.   Thanks Jorge, you did a great job!

Offline Ardent Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
Thanks very much guys!! Special thanks to Jeff W. for leaving a great customer review for me on Amazon! If others care to post a customer review on Amazon I would be eternally grateful! Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Archery-Traditional-Bows-Chronological/dp/1682890317  

With an investment of $4,429.00 and royalties of $3 to $4 per book sold I only have to sell 1,476 copies. Please circulate...Daddy needs a new bow!

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
My wife just ordered a copy for me. Since I am having shoulder surgery next week I will have some reading material to while away the hours during recovery. I can't wait to get it.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
Jack, I think you will be impressed.  Mine arrived today.  Ardent Archer you did everyone proud.  Good job.  Jack, good luck next week.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Should be getting mine any day.

Offline Ardent Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »
Thank you, Shick! Glad you're enjoying the book. Happy reading and collecting!

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
Just finished reading mine, it was fun narrowing down the years on my small collection of Bears.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©