3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: N. C. deer hunters/Blue tongue?  (Read 856 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
N. C. deer hunters/Blue tongue?
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
I have read that a lot of southeastern states have had bluetongue hit their deer herds (drought conditions promote the spread of it,so I have been told ).  With the number of deer hunters that I have talked to reporting a dramatic decrease of deer sightings this hunting season, I was wondering if we have been hit with it too?  Has anyone heard for sure?
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: N. C. deer hunters/Blue tongue?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I don't know about blue tongue being the cause, but I haven't seen many deer at all this season.
Last year while rifle hunting, I usually had anywhere from 2 to 5 deer at a time in the field that I hunt over.  This year, the only one I've even seen was one that was being run by dogs.

The weird thing is, the place I hunt is adjacent to a large beaver pond, so they've got plenty of water.  I think the drought has had something to do with fawn mortality or something.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Haven't seen any sign of it where I hunt.I did here that something hit the deer at Biltmore house hard.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
I called the N.C. Wildlife Resources Com.  They gave me a telephone number to a deer biologist.  I called and left a message.  If I hear back from him I'll yet ya'll know.  Thanks for the response.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
K,
I'd be interested to hear if he's seen a reduction in the number of deer bagged or seen this year.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
What do ya know?  When I got home I had a message from the wildlife biologist.  He stated that basicly the reason for the reduced number of deer seen is due to a bumper acorn crop.  The deer don't have to move around as much to get their belly full and they don't respond as well to baiting (corn and foodplots).  He also stated that the number of deer harvested so far was better than last year.  No problems in Eastern NC for any diseases.  Some small areas in Western NC have had reports of deer kills due to diseases.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
I would have to agree about the acorns. I saw most of my deer, early in the bow season before the acorns started to really hit the ground. Most acorns Ive seen on the ground in the last 10 years. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Hey all,

Hate to be contrary but here in centeral and over in western NC there was a late frost last spring that killed off all the acorn buds.  The only place I have seen acorns is up in Montgomery county by the VA Border.  There have been very few deer sighted.  Most of the guys I know who trad hunt have only seen a very few deer this year much less taken them.

Brian Gillispie
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Loads of acorns in Raleigh.  Haven't seen a deer in the last several weeks of hunting.

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Very few acorns where I hunt.Haven't seen many either.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
That must be it, because where I hunt there's still loads of corn lying in the field that hasn't been touched.  Looks like I need to find me an old white oak and set up near it.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Tom, I still haven't seen enough Deer to spit at and those I did see were early on also (except one evening during rut) -  but acorns galore, like Don said . I also have talked to a lot of guys not seeing them - but on the other hand I know at least two guys that got 6 or better (with bows) - they had spots close to bedding areas and got them early on also.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
We had a bad killing frost in May so we did not have any apples in Ashe County but I noticed that there is so many acorns on the ground. Most I ever seen.
I also heard about the biltmore heard about 2 hrs south of here. They got hit hard with draught.
For Deer numbers in Ashe. Its hard to drive to work without seeing deer. An influx of building summer homes will only make matters worse. There will be less places to hunt but the population will explode if disease don't get them.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Not a lot of acorns around here this year.A few reds but no whites on any land I have hunted.

Every few years we get a spell of the blue tounge but I have not seen it this year.A few years ago I found several dead deer before bow season started that had died from it but by the next year we really could tell no impact from it in deer numbers.It is nothing new and has always come around in cycles.Really nothing to be concerned about in the long run of things.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
If you are not seeing deer, and there are few acorns...the deer have probably moved to where the acorns are.

Dan

Offline Caranthir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Here in the mountains of Western N.C. the acorn drop was almost non existent and so was the lack of deer seen, I live abot 15 miles from Biltmore and saw no deer there this year, when usually they are abundant. Also heard a report of EHD killing a large number of deer in Mills River near here. Funny thing though, that's the only place I actually had any deer sightings this season, none in a shootable situation. Rich

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Plenty of white and red oak acorns here in Franklin county. Seen a bunch of deer too....No blue tongue in this area....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
acorn crop not good on the properties i hunt in n.c and s.c. between the hard freeze in april and drought, very few acorns made. still had a good season. killed five with bow so far. three of those i killed on trails going to soybean fields, one was a buck chasing a doe. the last deer i shot was dec 8th and he was in a thick travel route. i know in past hunting seasons too many acorns can limit deer sightings. no blue tongue in this part of eastern n.c. to my knowledge.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Mucho Acorns, Mucho Deer...I have not seen evidence here of a die off. I wish I had more time to hunt. 1 clean kill...1 clean miss...so far...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
I have both red and white oaks in the yard and it looks like an average crop here. I've had deer in the yard during daylight hours every year but this one. There are signs that they occasionally browsing through at night, but not spending much time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©