3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ideas for indoor (basement) shooting range?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ideas for indoor (basement) shooting range?
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
I am very limited as far as space goes. Longest shot I might get would be maybe 8 yds. Is it worth it to try and set something up? Would I be able to gain anything other than working on my form and release?

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ideas for indoor (basement) shooting range?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Would I be able to gain anything other than working on my form and release?

Thats enough reason right there. Alot of guys kill deer at eight yds.You dont need to set up to much at that distance either.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline aklongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I shoot daily at 10 yards, not only does it help in my form I gain strength.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
Nah, form and release won't help you at all.     :jumper:  

Seriously though, I agree with Geno, that should be reason enough.  The only difference between a 5 yard shoot and a 40 yard shot is where you aim.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Good for muscle development and control.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Go grab yourself one of them eternity bags from wally world or a local shop and hang it in the basement.  

Some shooting is better then none!

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
I get 10 yards in my moldy basement....sure beats 15 degrees and snow!

Go for it!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
I dream about being able to design a indoor range! If and when I relocate, I will have a space where I can shoot-every single day! I would do it in a heartbeat hoss! But at 8 yrds...you may want to start building up your arrow count now. I see a few busted nocks in your future!

Deadbolt-

Where you at in Jersey? I grew up in Salem county (Penns Grove) and still have extended family there and Salem.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
The biggest improvement in my shooting came from setting the bag target on the workbench and shooting across my garage.. 4-5 yds...   My accracy and consistency got WAYYYY better... when I start having problems I go back to shooting in the garage for a week or two... and most of my problems dissappear...

So, I'd vote yes...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
I get 10 yards in my moldy basement....sure beats 15 degrees and snow!

Go for it!
I wish I had an indoor range been having wind gusts of up to 50mph for the past 3 days and its FREEZING OUT!  

Originally posted by JL:
Deadbolt-

Where you at in Jersey? I grew up in Salem county (Penns Grove) and still have extended family there and Salem.

JL
Formerly garfield, Bergen County but just moved down to Brick, Ocean County 2 months ago.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Besides all the valuable form comments above, don't forget aim small, miss small.  So work on the form yes and after, pick a smaller "target" than you normally would to shoot at.  Make it real small.  I once had a 5 yard range in the basement, I use arrow holes in the target -- as the target.

I am not a great shooter, but I suspect I am fairly good and I believe I owe that to the constant, and consistent practice my little indoor ranges provide me all winter long.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I get plenty of practice in my Michigan basement.  :thumbsup:  I like to focus on really small targets at close ranges,like a thumbtack or bottle caps.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
In my basement range I use a large excellsior bail for my target. Not only does it come in handy during our seemingly endless Michigan winters, but it is also very useful for taking a few, quick, practice/warm-up shots before heading out into the darkness for morning hunts. This alo allows me to get the snap-crackle-pops out of my bow-arm-elbow (depending on your age, you'll understand someday).

This is my eighth year using the same excellsior bail. About twice each year I will saturate it with a bucket of water to allow the fibers to swell. I bet it has stopped several thousand arrows over the years and still has quite a bit of useful life remaining.

Helpful hint: ALWAYS be aware of your upper limb tip to make sure you don't hit it against one of your main level floor joists!
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
I'm getting ready to set one up in my basement also.  Got some vacation coming and need to re-arrange the basement and garage anyway.  

For short ranges, use small targets.  My plan is to hang an old piece of carpet and use blunts.  There was a recent article in TBM (I think) about doing that and I just happen to have a large piece of unused carpet in my new basement.  Sounds like the perfect use for it.

I was actually thinking about doing a build-along for it.

Offline tjjsidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
Because of time and the distance to the closest outdoor range, I do 95% of my shooting in my basement at 8 yards. My form and consistancy has improved dramatically. At that distance,I shoot 1 arrow and retrieve it after every shot. Like others have said, aim small. If ceilings are too low then shoot from your knees.

Good luck!

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have a solarium that gives me up to a 15yrd shot. But as said above I usually shoot at 10 yrds or less for form. Its also fun to shoot from different positions. Like on your knees, sitting, laying down ect. all these require good form and concentration.

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I knew I was going to take a ribbing for phrasing things how i did.   :p  But I didn't feel like editing. You guys answered one of my thoughts that didn't come out right, as to aiming at something real small to improve accuracy and concentration.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
I say go.I shot today for the first time in a while.I shot at about 15 yards,didn't do so well.Next I scooted up to about 8-10 yards.It helped tremendously,good luck in whatever you choose.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Pretty much what they all said. I shoot 9yds in my basement, at really small targets. Good for strength, form and release. Plus, it beats the stew outta going out in 0* windchill and trying to shoot.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Now if my wife could just see the merit!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©