3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AMO length for recurve/longbows  (Read 507 times)

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
AMO length for recurve/longbows
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
Hi..I have a question for anyone..how could you determine the AMO length for a recurve when there is no marking..do you measure from the back of the bow along the limbs?   I use to know but as of right now..I do not remember how to do/determine the length...I do know that alot of bows are not true AMO hence some strings are 2" shorter and not 3 or 4" like true AMO longbows and recurves...thank you in advance
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AMO length for recurve/longbows
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
E-mailed you.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
Glad to help.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Razor, the AMO length of a bow is 3" longer than the string which will brace the bow the proper distance.  Therefore, measuring along the belly of the bow to determine the bow's length may or may not give you the AMO length.  Long bow or recurve, the proper string is 3" shorter (loop-to-loop) than the AMO length of the bow.  Obviously it is entirely possible for two bows of different overall length to need the same string length in order to be properly braced and those two bows would be the same AMO length.  Why they had to create this confusion is beyond me!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
remember though that AMO did not come about until the lae 60 or early 70s, I believe and most bows older than that were 3" for Longbows and 4"s shorter for recurve. You can argue the dat e with me but not the fact about the string lenght. I spoke to Tom Lemme whos shop was opened by Fred Bear himself and Tom had hundreds of Bear an Martin bow strings in the little tubes from the early  to mid 60's and all the longbow ones are marked 3"s shorter and the recurves 4"s shorter. ie 60" AMO reurve actual string length 56"s and same for  LBs 62" AMO was 59" string. Shawn
Shawn

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
thanks fellas for the info..I think I got it now
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©