3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chain Saw for Cutting Bow Wood  (Read 1374 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chain Saw for Cutting Bow Wood
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
It's time for a new chain saw.  Almost everything I cut is for making bows so I hope you guys can give me some advice.  

I cut osage.  Mostly in the less than 16" dia. range.  I have gotten by so far with a 14" Craftsman but I think it has seen its better days.

I have 2 makes and 4 models I am currently considering.  You tell me if I need to look at somehing else. $3-400 is my budget.

Stihl MS 250 v. Husqvarna 345

Stihl MS 290 v. Husqvarna 350

I'd love to hear first-hand experience with these or other saws.  Thanks!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chain Saw for Cutting Bow Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
I have a Stihl Farm Boss, 029 I think. I have had it for 15+ years, countless hours of osage cutting, trail clearing, dead tree removal and never any problem more serious than changing a sprocket bearing(easy to do) and gas cap. It always starts easily and has plenty of power to handle any task I use it on. I also have one of those Stihl 12V chain sharpeners, puts a great edge on the chain quickly.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Thanks Eric.  Your feedback is very valuable.  I was pretty much set on the Farm Boss but then I held a Husqvarna.  It weighs 2.6 pounds less (25%) and has a nifty anti-vibration design.  But, I don't want it if it won't last.  I know the Stihl will.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
I haven't used the Husqvarna but have the Stihl's.  They are work horses.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Stihl has a better oiling system than most. I used to use some Husqvarna stuff in my roofing days. The recoil starter was always breaking. Luckily, it was an easy bolt on fix (had to buy a new "starter cartridge"), but it was costly after awhile.

My ol' trusty saw is a Poulan (pre Weed Eater days) 3400 countervibe. Back then, 3400 meant it had a 3.4 c.i. engine. Lot's o' power! I use a 20" bar on mine and it has felled more trees and cut more wood than I care to remember.

Oregon aftermarket bars are good stuff. They now have a chain tensioner built into the bar. No more messing with dang pins that get clogged up on the bar clamp! (they get removed) Just break loose the clamp nuts, twist the rack and pinion adjuster with the screwdriver/wrench (scrench) and tighten the nuts.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
I have worn out a couple of chain saws over the past 10 years clearing a 25 acre woodlot.  I have used up an older Stihl, and a Husky Rancher (very similar in size to the 350 and with an 18" bar I think).  I would say they were pretty equal in service.  I bought a Husky 350 2 years ago and it has been as good a chainsaw as I have had.  I have a Husqvarna dealer just down the street from me and bought from them for the convenience of having parts and service readily available.  Cannot go wrong with either one.  I like the light weight of the Husqnarna. The bulk of my tree felling days are behind me and I am not concerned about wearing this one out in my lifetime.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
I have a Husqvarna - I think it is the 345.  It does a decent job cutting, but it is the coldest starting internal combustion engine I've ever dealt with.  I'll bet it takes 15 - 20 pulls even in the summer to fire up.  Once warm it is fine on restarts.  One pull every time.  
I'm also not crazy about the design of the oil and gas caps.  If I were in the market for a new one I'd be looking at the Stihls myself.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Stihl catches #$%& around the farm and keeps on going. It'd be an easy decision for me. Good luck !
DR

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Used both in a tree trimming/removal business and like both but I tend to lean towards the Husqvarna versus the Stihl.  For the average home owner who wont be running the saw more than a few days a year and a few minutes per day I dont think you could possibly go wrong with either one.  Price compare and determine who has the closest service center to you and then make your choice either way you will be happy Im sure.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Downsouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Go for the Stihl, pay the extra few bucks for the 260 professional saw. I've had an 026 for many years, and it just keeps on going!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
I have owned both and like the Stihl. Huskeys cut like crazy but can be a little more temperamental starting. I now own two Stihls (big and little) and they start good and cut great. The Farm Boss model does not have anti vibrations or kickback brake - at least the older ones I remember. Both these features are worth the extra money. Happy yellow wood harvesting.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
I don't think you'll find better than the Stihl.  Years ago, I purchased a Jonserud, another swedish made saw, and it's been a  good one, still runs great after 25 years of building log homes, clearing brush, and a timber sale or two.   You can look  into those,  if you  can  find  a dealer, but Stihl  dealers  are  easier to  find for sure.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Chainsaw? These will never break down and you'll never loose the gas cap!

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
John,

Back in college I did odd jobs for an old doctor in Southwest Missouri.  He had land all over around Springfield and Branson (those of you in Southwest Mo might know of him since he donated the land to the state that became Busiek State Forest).  I spent many an hour running a chainsaw for him.  Most times I was with an old gentleman who also worked for him that we called "Short" because he was.  This old gem of a man had spent his younger days in the Northwest in logging camps.  He taught me a lot about running a saw.  Boy could he ever sharpen a chain!!  He said that the Husqvarnas were the best saws ever made.  And the way he ran them I believe him.  I was always a Stihl guy and still am.  From my experience, and Short's, you can't go wrong with any of the saws you mentioned.  Pick the one that suits you best, and like Rascal said, find the one with the closest service center to you should you need repair.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Stihl
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
I have a 16" poulan, Stihl 029 farm boss and a stihl 066. I use the 066 for my LOGOSOL saw mill. I have never had a problem with my Stihls with heavy use. The poulan is fine for light use but not heavy use on a daily basis.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Always used Husky's for falling and bumpin knots. Nice, heavy-duty, light saw. Never had a problem with cold starts(use a little sta-bil in the gas). The oiler is VERY good. The Stihl's always seemed to go thru too much oil to me. In my experience---the Stihl is the best saw----IF you like to tinker with your saw all the time.
 I would definately say Husky if your going to do a lot of cutting. And for the guy who wants a good reliable saw for a little firewood and for cutting the occasional stave----I would look at the Echo saws. Of course, I have only been logging most my life.

Oh, and I second the Jonesered daws, too.

Offline leftyfred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
I've had good luck with the 345.  Went with me on a church trip to New Orleans twice, abused, still faithful.  LF

Offline leftyfred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
In my link I've tried to add my favorite saw.  1944 Fay & Egan 950 LIghtning.  LF

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
John, I don't know where you're looking to buy your saw but theres a little hardware store in Trafalgar , south of you, that is a Stihl dealer and parts supplier.
 I'd go with a Stihl. The 029 farm boss size is probably way more saw than you need. I have an 038 and a newer MS 250C that my dad gave me before he died. The 250 has a lot more plastic on it than the older 038 but it runs like crazy and starts every time. Unless I let the air filter get too grungy.
 I'd go with the stihl.Better saw in my opinion. Also Bear's hardware in Nashville ( 812-988-8888)sometimes runs sales on their Stihls.
 Hey, if you need chainsawing help in the interim , before you get the new saw, let me know. I can cut some for you for a stave or three.
 Chris
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©