3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chain Saw for Cutting Bow Wood  (Read 1376 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chain Saw for Cutting Bow Wood
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Thanks again to everyone for your comments.  Here is the status:

I've decided I don't need as big a saw as the Stihl MS290.  It is just too big for my needs.

I noticed the flimsy plastic kill/choke switch on the Husky Adam mentioned above.  I agree.  Why did they do that?

I am leaning towards the Stihl MS250 with a 16" bar.  This is mainly because I have 2 service locations within 3 miles of my house with one being in my favorite little Ace Hardware store.  I really don't like big box stores and support the littler guys whenever possible.  The downside is the guy isn't the most polite of people.  The upside is he is a hardware genius.  Kind of a grumpy old man type.  There are no "certified" Husky service centers within 20 miles of me.  The only close dealer is Lowes.

Now, as for the lower end, consumer saws; trust me, I am tempted.  There is a Poulan Pro, 18", 42cc saw at Sam's club for $150 right now that I almost impulse purchased.  Online reviews are not exactly favorable though.  I travel long distances sometimes to cut wood.  I really can't afford an undependable saw.  That being said, on 2 occasions, my Craftsman has started while Stihl's on the same job have not.  Without that $100 saw, those long trips would have been very difficult.

So, I'm going to go talk to my grumpy hardware guy tonight.  See how deep the Christmas spirit is running in him  :)   They had a special with a case included last month on some of the Stihls.  He's gonna have to sweeten the pot some.

Peace,

John
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
hey minuetman,
  I likes my poulan and have had great luck with it  :)  Sawzalls are for "little" demo jobs I had a (big) job

John,

Wright tree service uses echo chainsaws. They say they hold up better than a stilh.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Just a final update:

I ended up with the Stihl MS250 with the easy start and tool less chain tensioner.  I cut wood a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it.  Plenty of power and starts so easy that it was silly.

Of course one session does not make for a good test but I think I made a good choice.  Time will tell.  My biggest decision point came on service.  The folks that I bought it from have 2 service centers on my side of town.  They were very up front and knowledgeable and I believe I can trust them.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Keystone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Stihl MS 250 easy start. Great saw. Much, much, much better than my old Craftsman.
Roger

Offline mjc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with a stihl

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
I have a Husky 350 and I cut the crap out of Hedge (osage)and it pulls strong all the wat through. I cut more then 5+ cords a year with it and it has never let me down. But if I was going to buy a new saw for what I do, I would get a Dolmar or a Husky Prosaw.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
No decision, a Stihl 250 with an 18" bar.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©