3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've moved to SW PA!  (Read 551 times)

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
I've moved to SW PA!
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Well I've finally gotten out of Maryland and have gotten my stuff unpacked in good ol' Pennsyltucky!  I'm living outside Ligonier in Westmoreland county.  Any other traditionalists in the region?  Anyone know of decent archery shops in the area?  Anyplace to shoot 3D once things thaw out?  My season is basically over till next year and I'm jonesing to fling some arrows!

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've moved to SW PA!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Congrats on the move.  That area actually has a good number of trad bowhunters.  It won't be long before you hook up with a few.

Beware of Mr. Painter.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline olderndirt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Welcome to the land of the PGC!  Good news is that you will find a LOT of trad shooters in the area.  I strongly recommend Bob Hildenbrand's traditional shop in Madison.  The Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers hold monthly 3d shoots at East Huntington Sportsman's Club.  If you want more information on either PM me.
I'm not lost ... I'm exploring alternative destinations

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Bunyan i live about 20 minutes from ligioneer yes bob hildenbrand excellent guy to deal with if you want to shoot call me i also got 48 acres at my hunting camp in ligioneer mountain!!!!! you are welcome to go 814 341-8402 take care! the strictly stick shoots are awesome but i also shoot 3d every sunday it would only be about a 30 to 40 min drive to come shoot with us. I can say as far as hunting my camp is a great place to hunt with good deer so i got you covered there!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
Hey ther. I'm in the NE PA, but don't forget there is coyote hunting 365 days a year, so there is all ways an excuse to be out with the bow. Even if you really aren't after yotes.     :archer:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Brother DEAN lives there too. I think he's still waiting for his power to come on. He said he got hit pretty hard with the ice and snow yesterday when I spoke to him.

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Welcome to Pennsyltuckey!  God's country, eh?
You should go down the turnpike one day towards Butler and see Chris and Claude at Allegheny Archers:  http://www.all-archers.com/

I think there is a big one-year anniversary there one of the Saturdays in Mid-January.

Maybe I'll see you flyfishing out towards Ligonier one day.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
Hi Andrew!!  :wavey:   I live in Latrobe about 10 minutes from you. Welcome!! I'll PM you my phone number, and you give me a call after 5:30 or so.

There will be the Great PA Squirrel Hunt coming up soon, a Trad golf shoot in the spring, and for the wintertime there's a great club in Mt Pleasant that holds Trad shoots. East Huntington Sportsman's Club- The gang there is know as Strictly Sticks and they have a very nice rendevous usually the 1st weekend of June.  :campfire:  

Trad stuff is very popular around here now and Yes Bob is the "GO TO" guy for traditional supplies.  :archer:    :coffee:  

Dale
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
I'm in West by God Virginia,but not a great long distance from Ligonier.

Offline T.A.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 01:09:00 AM »
Bunyan,
 Wish I could say the same. Born, and for the most part, raised in Westmoreland county (Greensburg). Uncle Sam (submarines) brought me to San Diego in '68 and I'm still here. But I'll ALWAYS consider myself a Pennsylvanian. Great hunting state. Congratulations on the move!
Terry

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
I too am from Western PA and my wedding reception was in the old Barn in Ligonier.  There is some good hunting in the area, and I know of a serious trad bowhunter in Export (PABones).  Joining the UBP would help in making contacts too.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
I am another displaced Westmoreland Co. native.  I get back there to hunt a few times each year.  I was only kidding about Mr. Painter, he's one of the good guys from Westmoreland.  And I will secon Bob H. as the go to guy for all your archery needs.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Another SW PA guy here.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Bob H, although I’ve never made it over to his place yet. I can say that Chris & Claude at Allegheny Archers are great guys to deal with.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Welcome to SW Pa, your gonna love it here. Strictly Sticks and Bob Hildenbrand are great places to start here in the SW. Watch out for that Hajas guy, he never shuts up:)

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Wow!  thanks for all the support!  I'll be calling and emailing some of you folks very soon.  Now I know why the hunting section at the barnes and nobles in Greensburg has so many traditional titles available!  My best buddy from college grew up in greensburg.  He isnt a bowhunter but has been helpful in pointing out some good places in the area to check out.  I already like the landscape around here and my commute is sooo much better than when I lived in MD!

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
You picked the right side of the state to live on indeed...many fine traditional folks out in Western PA and nicer bucks to boot.  You won't go wrong with Bob H.  

PS  Fred Bear and the Wensels were born in PA...a couple other notable traditional archers as well   :thumbsup:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Hey Andy don't start nocking MD!  No one told you to move over the bay bridge then commute  :D  

Hope the scouting is going well up there.  You are missing some mighty fine mornings around here!
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Welcome, I live on the other side of Greensburg from you.  And yes Bob H. is great to deal with.  And Strictly sticks have a great traditional shoot.  Next one will be January the 19th.  And your also home to a few truly unique shoots- GPSH and a golf shoot.   Have any questions feel free to email.  

Jeff
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Hey Mike!  It's not Maryland I have a problem with.  It's the majority of people IN Maryland!  I'm not saying PA is perfect, but it suits me better is all.  To each his own!

Dale, I enjoyed our phone conversation the other evening.

I'm planning to attend the next strictly sticks shoot in January.  Hopefully I can meet some of you guys in person then!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Westmoreland Co may have a few boys who shoot trad, but the real men live on the mountain in Somerset Co!

Roy is right, keep an eye on that Hajas fellow.

Hope to meet you at Sticks.

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©