3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please give your opinions  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please give your opinions
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
For the cost, the U-Stuff-It bags are really hard to beat.  I got my first one over five years ago and am still using it on my 20 yard range in the basement.  Since then I have bought two more (one is still new)for outside.  Just stuff them with plastic bags, or plastic from a store that sells
mattresses.  You can also use grain bags from a feed mill stuffed with the same stuff, but they are smaller and don't last as long.  
Good luck.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
meat
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
I have an ash tree behind my 3d target out back. My arrows mostly bounce backwards 4 or 5 feet from the tree. Sofar I haven't bent any of my arrows but my son has bent a couple of his skinny kids arrows.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
I really like the old carpet, ya can drape it overa beam or something and it stops anything but broadheads, if ya shoot blunts from not real heavy bows, under 55#s they will bouncwe off but not bad. They kinda hit and the barpet absorbs the blow and they fall to the floor or ground. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
What to use for broadheads?
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
A $40,000 car. You get real good, real quick!   :D  

Folded carpet works if you don't have a good car though!

For broadheads I use 12 layers of carpet (6 old carpet offcuts draped over a beam) and I blunt my heads first.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
Nice I need to buy one of those.Does the carpet stop broadheads???
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
mine belt works great.

Offline TheArc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
I use construction straw bales, smaller than feed hay bails, cheaper and doesn't need to be picked up like the carpe lint does when it gets moldy and beat and starts disintegrating.
"And Moab, he lay us upon the band of the Canaanites, and yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." Rev. Clark Griswold

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Probably not in most garages, but CeleTex is great. This comes in 4'x8' pieces, it is used on siding on homes. It is a black or brown material, similar to carboard. I have a target I have been shooting for 14 years, I just replaced it a few weeks ago. Arrows pull out of it easy, but it needs a roof to keep it dry. I cut 6 16" strips that are 4' wide. Stack them on top of each other to make a target 4' wide as high as you want. I bought about $80 worht and my target is nearly 3' tall. If you look at the thread recently of " lets see your outdoor ranges" , I posted a picture of my range and you can see the target. Picture may be small but it will give you an idea.
John

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I have shot at a number of ranges that use old phone books compressed together.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Here is pictures of the CeloTex constructed target/backstop. The last one lasted 14 years!

John

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
The target like SRTA uses is great! I also made one several years ago when I had an archery range here at my home. It lasted for 2-3 years with several people shooting it 365 days per year.

But for a backstop, carpet, old rugs, floormats, or industrial mining belt will do well. Whichever you decide to use, only hang it by the top, allowing the bottom to swing. That way it'll absorb more energy. Especially the mining belt. That stuff is tuff to remove a point from, and if you make it unmoveable, you'll stick a bunch of them.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
cool thanks.

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Round hay bail.  Make sure the kids are shooting with you and not in the club house or fort they always build off the bail.  For broad heads I throw a feed sack or two on the bail.  The sacks with the deer or cow make for good concentration since the deer looks like he is 100yrds at 15yrs. I like the round bail so I can shoot 60-70yrds for fun...pretty tough to miss the bail.  The bail can take the punishment of kids climbing all over it and all the shots you give it plus weather.  Good luck and God bless.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Thanks,but what about the price? ? ?

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
What is CeloTex used for usually? Where would you get it? Home Depot? I need to do something because right now I have my target in front of the shed!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
I think a type of insulation.

Offline kohannahfound1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Old 18 Wheeler Truck mud flap works fine.

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
I just use a REALLY big target. Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©