3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question about hunting with stone point  (Read 228 times)

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
question about hunting with stone point
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
so i've got my bow bare shaft tuned (I'm pretty sure).  Any variances at this point are slight and I'm sure they are due to form.

i have the 65#-70# cedars cut to 30 inches with 125 grain points.  

now my obsidians are around 90-110 grains.  i don't want to "practice" with them...just hunt.

is there a standard best practice on how i should calculate the arrow length for the ones i will mount the obsidians on?  in other words, how much should i lengthen from my known config that works.  Ex. 1/2 inch per 10 grains....

maybe i am over thinking this and it really doesn't matter.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: question about hunting with stone point
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
I believe spine weight is estimated at 28". For every inch above 28" arrow, subtract 5# of spine weight and for every inch less than 28 add 5#. This is with a 125gr head.
   I would never hunt with an arrow I hadn't shot and was satisfied with its flight. Too many variables.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
You should practice with them atleast a few times.  Use some loose straw bales to practice into.  You don't want to be suprised at their flight when your in the field. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
You can also shoot them into the thick white styrofoam targets that wallmart sells for $15.00 I use them alot for practice with stone points.I agree with Dino you need to know how they fly.Keenan
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©