3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to start collecting long and recurve bows  (Read 1065 times)

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
Want to start collecting long and recurve bows
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
What bows would you recommend for bows to have. I plan to have RER and Black Widow make me customs but what others.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to start collecting long and recurve bows
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Check out the Classifieds here.
and start collecting
I am up to 17 bows.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Gosh, that's a loaded question!

Many of us are like TexMex and cannot stop at one or two.  As far as having custom bows made for you, I would limit that to special or rare editions since most examples of custom bows end up in the various classified sections or on the auction sites.  I have had good luck finding exactly what I want and at used bow prices.  You will find your interests will vary and want to try other models.

Of course, the older Bear bows are the most popular collectible and sometimes bring unrealistic prices.  Others collect Howatts or Wing or Shakespeare or....

Collecting, buying, selling and trading is just another aspect of trad archery that can be almost as fun as shooting them.
Lon Scott

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
That didn't take long  :biglaugh:  
The only reason I'm a one bow man is my wife. She wants to spend money on stuff like remodeling the house, traveling to Africa, mounting her trophies.
Morrison bows are great. He makes longbows and recurves and has some interesting ideas on new designs.
The older Bear bows are lots of fun. I've had a few of those but sold them to finance my Morrison Cheyenne.
Peruse the classified and make some deals.
You going to be coming down my way over the holidays?
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
And the sickness begins!

You need to speak with the Rowan brothers.

Danny Rowan,.. better known as, it's Wednesday I need a new bow Rowan.

Donald (Nakohe)Rowan,.. I think that looks nice I'll buy it(well I haven't bought one since... what day is it) Rowan.

Seriously it is a bunch of fun and Morrison is a good one to pick up I own a couple.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
i second that on the rowan boys. LOL!!!!!   :biglaugh:      :jumper:      :jumper:    and its all fun they love it.i just wish i could do it mind you i have 4 bows at the moment.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Not during the holidays BTH. Wife wants to stay home. The reason I started this thread is because I talked to my wife and she thought it would be good for me to be able to have a collection. And yes, she knows how much these bows goes for  :pray:    :jumper:

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
I want Ghostman's Chyanne but pockets are dry at this time  :(

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Well, if your wife thinks it's a good idea.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
hard to have a representative collection with out a Howard Hill longbow. You could probably spend a lifetime just collecting Bears, though.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
I want to have a few Bears but I want a collection of bows that are very good shooting from some of the smaller names. Yes I will have a Howard Hill one day  :D

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Did I hear you say your wife thinks its a good idea?  :saywhat:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
HELLO, my name is Jack.  I am a recurve-a-holic.

At the present time, I have over 80 bows hanging on my wall.  Now, by collectors standards, mine is a small collection.

The best advice I can give you about collecting bows is...  "DON'T DO IT"    :knothead:  

The surgeon General has determined that traditional archery collecting is dangerous to your  financial health.  "NUF SED"

Collecting is an interest and a hobby unto itself.   As far as "what to collect" that is very personal, and you collect what "YOU" like.  Don't spend money on a high dollarr custom bow because you think it will impress someone else.  They may like different things than you do.

I like the recurves from the '60's.  Mainly because when I was a teenager, I could not afford the bows that I drooled over reading Archery Magazine.  Over the past ten years, I have managed to pick up a lot of my favorites.  Your best source is he auction site that we must not name, pawn shops, estate and garage sales, tempered with a lot of patience.

My wife walked into my shop one day, looked at my wall full of bows and asked "how many bows can you shoot at one time?"  My answer, "about as many pairs of shoes as you can wear at one time, Ms Emelda".  She never asked again.

Collecting can be a very satisfying hobby; but you have to be careful.  Before you know it you can have a lot invested in the collection, and in most cases, you may never recoup your investment.  You pay what it is worth to you to get a bow, but that does not mean that there will be someone out thhere that is willing to pay that much when you decide to sell it.  Do not do it as an investment, do it because you enjoy it.

I have bows that I paid $1,000.00 for, down to bows that I have a total investment of $20.00.  I have it arranged with another collector that in the event of my going to the "Happy Hunting Ground", he will dispose of my collection.  The alternative would be for my widow to have an estate sale and she may get about 5% of what my collection is worth, if she is lucky.  That is why I say Estate sales are a great source.  They have no idea of the value of a collectible bow.  It is just a piece of sports equipment that Daddy had in the attic.

It is an enjoyment for me.  Ease into it slowley, and proceed cautiously, and you should be OK.

The main thing is, enjoy it.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Jack is correct, do not do it unless ya have lots of money. I myself have owned over 100 bows in the last 7-8 years. I have bought very few and traded for most. The most I have had at one time is 15 or so. I now own only 5 bows. A Ben Pearson, Widow PTF11, RER Arroyo, Bear Kodiak Mag and an old York. Shawn
Shawn

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
What Jack said.Collecting is a disease that strikes quickly and silently.I woke up one day and found 38 bows in my workshop.
there is no cure.(I don't think I want to be cured).

KPaul
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
I'll try my best to keep cost minimal and try to collect only bows that I see that I must have. This collection is to be passed on to my children and so on.
There are a lot of makers that I would love to have make me a bow.So, maybe my collection will be mostly from the small guy  :)  I would love to have bows that the bower places my name on the bow so that my children knows that the bow was hand made for me.
That sounds like a lot of money   :rolleyes:

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Collect Selfbows....there are no two alike, and there are some incredible artisans out there.

Look around and see if you can get one by Ferret, John S., Eric K.....ect...

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
STICK HUNTER WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADD YOUR 2 CENTS?????????????????????
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
It is a sickness.
I seem to love Widows, Hoyt and Sky bows.
Cannot get enough.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Beetle Guy.  Kiss your wife because she is a rare member of that gender and be thankful for what you have.  Good luck with the collection and I hope to see some pics as you purchase them.  Dave from Nova Scotia, Canada
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©