INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Please pray for my future hunting partner (new pics Jan 2009)  (Read 11737 times)

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
My wife is 21 weeks pregnant.  Found out on Monday it would be our first boy.  Found out on Tuesday that he has a heart defect.  We saw a cardiologist today and the baby has what they call a Hypoplastic Left Heart.  I will try to describe as simply as possible.  

In a normal heart the blood comes into your right atrium from the body, it passes through a valve into the right ventricle then through another valve and on into the lungs.  After the blood is oxygenated it returns to the left atrium passes through a valve to the left ventricle then through another valve into the aorta and on out to the body.

Basically, Garrett's (already named) valves in the left side of his heart are sealed off.  The chambers are there (very tiny because they are not being used) but the blood is not flowing through them.  He is fine now because all the oxygenated blood is being provided by his mother.  The difference will be at birth.  

They will put him on a special medication immediately, then transfer him to Children's Mercy for his surgery.  He will have a surgery at birth (80% of babies make it through this one), another surgery at 5-6 months, and another at 2-3 years (98% make it through the second and third surgery).  The surgery will be to reroute the blood to bypass the left side of the heart.  Instead of the blood going to the heart from the body, it will be redirected directly to the lungs, then the oxygenated blood from the lungs will go into the right atrium, right ventricle, then out to the body.  In other words he will really only have half a heart.

If all the surgeries go well he should be able to live a relatively normal life, with the exception of no real strenuous activities (for example he will not be running cross country or playing quarterback for the high school football team).  They are not real sure about life expectancy.  They have only been doing these procedures for 15-20 years.  25 years ago they would have told us there was nothing that could be done, but thanks to the advances they have made they can do these surgeries.

We asked if there was any chance of the valves opening up or further developing.  The answer was that they have never seen it happen.  Which leads me to our prayer request:  We will be praying for a miracle.  That they will see those valves are open and functioning when we go back to the cardiologist at the end of June.  If that is the Lord's Will.  If not, then of course we pray that the surgeries will be successful and we will value every day we get to spend with Garrett, no matter how long (or short) of time the Lord blesses us with him!

Thanks in advance for all your prayers!

Chip Jones
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please pray for my future hunting partner (new pics Jan 2009)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
Amen and prayers sent
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
Thoughts and prayers sent for your son, yourself and your wife...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
sent
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Prayers sent.

God Bless

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Garrett is already in /God's plan and His capable hands..prayers for true healing and miraculous things from this unborn Son of yours...that he may come to revere and trust the Son of God for all that he will need.

Blessings and peace for you and the wife du8ring the times of trial and challenge.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
I second Doc's prayer! Keep the faith Chip!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Amen
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Lord we pray that your will be done. Lord we also ask that if it's possible to please give this childa  life that may bring Glory to your name and may he be a soul winner for your Kingdom. Lord please give strength to the parents and family of baby Garrett. In your Holy Name we pray.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Prayers sent.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline New to Traditional

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Prayers sent.Amen doc and sticshooter.
Dont shoot feather light arras,shoot railroad ties.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Just want to say thanks for all your prayers!!!

Ya'll have no idea just how much your prayers mean to my wife and I.  The first night after getting this news my wife was a wreck (I was not in the greatest shape myself).  But since then we have felt a real peace which I believe is a result of all the prayers folks like you have been saying for us.  The positive attitude my wife has had since that first night has really been a blessing.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers for whatever the Lord has in store for us, because we are going to need them!

God Bless!

Chip

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
Prayers Continue

God Bless

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
Chip,
As the father of two young boys I can only imagine what you and your wife must be going through. I will pray for the three of you.
God bless,
Jaz

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
Prayers continue

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
CHIP, PLEASE KNOW PRAYERS ARE ON THE WAY FROM MY FAMILY FOR YOURS. PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED. GOD'S PEACE, JED
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
God's Peace is amazing...when they penned the phrase, "peace that passess all understanding..." they weren't idle words!

That peace comes and goes day-to-day for some of us, according to our willingness to "let Go and Let God!"

Prayers as Stick wrote for total healing, so that your son might be a mighty warrior for God's purpose...and that whatever is unfolding for you guys, it's your Peace...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline LouCompton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Prayers sent up from Crisfield, MD.
Don't sit around and let things happen to you. Instead get busy and start making things happen FOR you. Get involved!

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 03:00:00 AM »
I know many of you have followed Garrett's fight on some other sites.  If you want to know the whole story goto  www.caringbridge.org/visit/garrettjones

Just thought I would put an update here!  We really appreciate all of your prayers.  There is no doubt the Good Lord has been looking after Garrett.

This is the update I just put on the caringbridge website:

Well, bout that time again...time to give ya'll an update.

Garrett had a checkup with the Cardiologist this afternoon.  Everything still looks good.  They are a little concerned that his weight gain has slowed down, but otherwise everything looked and sounded good.

As far as the weight gain goes, they told us to start adding a little extra formula to each bottle.

They did say he is the oldest baby waiting for the fountaine (spelling) procedure.  So unless something happens where they have to do it sooner, I expect his surgery to be in mid to late April.  At his next appointment in February they will do a cath procedure.  Basically they put him under then run a catheter up to his heart.  They inject dyes and watch to see how well everything is flowing.  It is possible they may have to balloon his shunt.  If so he will have to spend the night.  They want to get the cath done just in case something happens requiring the surgery to be done before April.  They said they will not do surgery until they have done a cath, so they need to get it done just in case.

The procedure in April will be a bypass procedure where they reroute the blood coming into the heart through the superior vena cava so that it goes directly to the lungs.  His third surgery in a couple years will do the same with the inferior vena cava.  

Dang!  I sure sound smart when I talk bout this stuff!

Your continued prayers are very much appreciated!

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
Prayers continue

God Bless

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©