3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: High FOC Tuning?  (Read 469 times)

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
High FOC Tuning?
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
For the guys that shoot the High FOC arrows like GT's with heavy inserts, when tuning, do you just not glue the inserts in and shoot while cutting the shaft off until proper flight is obtained? If this is what you do then how do you keep the inserts from pulling out in a broadhead target when tuning for broadheads? Just wondering how to do this...
thanks, Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: High FOC Tuning?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
bare shaft tune with field points and cut from the nock end

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:52:00 AM »
u sneaky devil you  ;)

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »
I'm a little more anal so I see what people on here and the Widow Wall are getting results with and cut the same off both ends then start tuning on the point end with a field tip and reg hot melt glue. When I get it bare shaft tuned I then glue in with Bohning Ferr-L-Tite. The reason I take off both ends is to get the straightness closer to where most manufacturers measure their straightness, in the center of the bare shaft.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
12ringman wins the prize...the straightest part of the shaft is ALWAYS the center portion.  Use the hotmelt and cut from both ends until you reach the spine you need.

Also, cut in VERY small amounts.  Shaft length has a much greater effect on spine than adding point weight.  Once they're cut...you can never go back.

Joe

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
I use the gold tip trads and add wieght with the "Gold tip wieght system" weights.  Little weights screwed in from the knock end with a really long allen wrench.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
How much heat can a GT shaft take--do you actually heat the shaft or just the insert when using the hot glue?
thanks, Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Never heat the shaft directly, when I remove hotmelted inserts from carbon shafts, I screw an aluminum broadhead adaptor in and heat that and only just enough to loosen it. You can use a fieldpoint or steel adaptor too, they just transfer the heat as fast.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©