3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Game Animals are considered edible?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What Game Animals are considered edible?
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
I have a naive question. What North American animals are considered edible?

I know the quick answer is it depends on how hungry you are…just ask the Donner party.

For example, within the last year I found out that mountain lions are considered good table fare. That was a surprise to me because I had never heard of anyone eating mountain lion. I also read in the book Hunting the Hard Way that Howard Hill fed a group of guys a fox that he had put in a stew. Was this just a joke or are fox considered an edible game animal?

What other animals are harvested for their meat? We all know the usual animals: deer, turkey, rabbit and squirrel but what about groundhog, raccoon, possums and bobcats?

What unusual animal have you eaten?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Game Animals are considered edible?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Depends on what side of the Mason-Dixon line you're on.   :)
Tom Mussatto

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
All are edible...some just better than others. Personal tastes pretty much dictates what you consume.

Growing up during the Great Depression, my dad told me he ate just about everythingt he could catch or kill.  That included raccoon, possum, carp, blackbirds, etc.

For me, elk is a favorite.
Lon Scott

Offline el cazador

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Nothing out of the norm for me with the exception of racoon... and some don't consider that "out of the norm"!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
I think everything is pretty much edible. I've even made meals of coyote and crow. Not saying they were tasty, or even good, but they still went down...
Must say, my two favorite wild meals are roasted groundhog and fried frog legs. Neither of which probably fit the average persons ideal of normal table fare...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
the ones with fins, fur, or feathers   :smileystooges:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
all of em

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Pretty much anything that don't eat me first  :goldtooth:

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
Cougar was one of the finest meats I ever ate.I've heard of people eating muskrat,and beaver,but I never did. I won't eat a possum,but that's just me.I've had frog and turtle,and neither one was anything I'd hunt for to eat.I've never eaten snake,but I wouldn't turn it down if I had the opportunity.   :campfire:

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
You CAN eat any animal. Some, however, you would probably rather not. I've tried most of the stuff that lives around here except fox, coyote and possum. I never thought about eating fox or coyote. I skinned a possum once. After that, I'd never eat one!

Coon is kind of greasy for me. I didn't care much for it. Beaver is good. Muskrat not bad.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
Like the ancient Chinese said in their wisedom. Any animal that the noon day sun shones on their back and not the top of their head is edible. In other words anything but human beings.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 03:01:00 AM »
I have eaten muskrat; and its good; I believe there is a gland under the arm you need to take off; but its good meat; they have a good diet  :)

Mountain lion meat is really good; probably the best meat in the woods; tastes like veal. Guides commonly say its nasty tasting; but ...

There was a man who said we could end world hunger by teaching people to raise zucchini and possums; the idea being the scraps from the zucchini would feed the opossums- and I have eaten them; and they are a good white meat.

I have never eaten fox or coyote.

Raccoons are really good when they are young; and their flesh is white. When they get older you boil them and then pour off the grease and bake them.
 I have eaten young raccoons; but always gave away the older ones.

Carp are really good in the spring; you need to cut off the 'mud line' down their side. They were brought here as a food fish; and they are traditional table fare for Christmas in some countries.

Snapping turtle is really really good; with each muscle it seems; tasting different. Some have a slight fishy taste; some like pork; some like beef; some yes- like chicken.. its great on a stick over a fire.

I like deer and elk best; and bear and rabbits.

Nobody mentioned birds. Robins used to be eaten for food all the time. Grouse and partridge; and quail and ducks and timberdoodles and doves; and of course pheasants.

I just built a smoker; and now nothing is sacred.

:bigsmyl:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »
While I was in the Army I ate a lot of different things including cat, rat, dog, horse, goat, and camel to name a few.  I have also tried at one time or another just about every 4 legged fur/hair covered critter running around Montana except for Mountain goats and I haven't met one yet I didn't like except for what we call gophers (ground squirrels).  There are exceptions to everything like a bear that has been eating fish for weeks on end, smells and taste like canned cat food!!!!  The stuff I ate in Africa was out of this world good    :bigsmyl:    Ostrich Pot Pie, Kudu, Impala, Gemsbuck, Zebra, and the best of all, ELAND!!!!  I have a very good friend who hales from Texas originally and he told me that they purpose hunted Robins down there because they are better than doves.  Haven't tried them yet but dove is mighty fine eating so I guess the short answer after the long one is yes with a few exceptions.  Good cooking, Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
Used to hunt Robins as a kid all the time,as soon as they started showing up in the Spring.Mom always gave my friend and I a weird look,but would fry them up for us.......

Only thing I've found that I don't much care for so far is Gator............tastes "lizzardy" to me.......is that a word??

Just about everything else listed,with a few exceptions(rat,muskrat,beaver,and African game)I have had at one time or another,including horse,dog,cat,and monkey........can't really say any of it was bad.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
I used to have a cookbook that covered just about every animal you could name, including skunk!  :scared:

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
It is conversations like this that make this such a special place. I can picture this conversation around a campfire.

I agree with the prevailing opinion that most animals are edible. When I was young my grandfather cooked possum and when I made a funny face about eating it, he told me that all animals were meant for eating, that was why they were made of meat.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
When I was a kid I had two uncles that were coon hunters.... actually they hunted just about everything. In my Grandma's house there was always some kind of wild meat on the table so I grew up with the notion  that everything was edible.

There's not much I haven't eaten except fox and coyote.

Years ago Nancy and I were hunting on state land in Northern Michigan. We were hunting with our longbows and camping in a tepee. I had shot a porcupine out of a tree with my bow and dressed it for eating.

A Game Biologist from the local DNR station was in the area and came across our camp. He stopped to visit and noticed the porky hide hanging in a tree and ask, "is that whats in the pot?" When I told him it was and that I had shot it with my longbow he said he could hardly wait to get back to the office and that they weren't going to believe him when he told them there was a man and women camping in a tepee, hunting with longbows and eating porcupines.    :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
Here's a pair of raccoons that I shot out of a wild apple tree that ended up as table fare. This was our Deer camp, Nancy and I in 1959.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Martin Farrent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I've heard of people eating muskrat,and beaver, but I never did.
Beaver was considered highly desirable during the Middle Ages in Europe, when people treated it as a fish and ate it during Lent. And while many North Americans find the notion of eating carp revolting, it's a rather expensive fish to buy in a food store over here in Europe.

On the other hand, you eat squirrel and we generally don't (ours are smaller, by the way). And I suspect very few people in Europe have ever tasted bear.

Of course, frogs are very popular in France. But they are not often killed in a humane manner and I don't eat them myself.

Best,

Martin

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
My dad has a great carp receipe. 1.clean a 4 to 6 lb. carp and place on a cedar shingle. 2. season with olive oil, garlic,salt,and pepper. 3.place in preheated 350 deg. oven for 35 to 40 min. 4. let stand for 5 min. 5. throw away carp and eat the shingle
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©