3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Important is the Dominate Eye?  (Read 793 times)

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Important is the Dominate Eye?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
I have found it is real hard to keep from flinching when spring turkey hunting.  Especially when I try to keep one eye on the spot and the other eye on the platoon of ticks that are racing for that hole in my only pair of camo pants.  Lightening is fast, but ticks are sneaky fast.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
I believe that if you're shooting instinctive, with the bow canted, eye domination is irrelevant (assuming that you keep both eyes open).  The real problems begin when you shoot with a vertical bow (olympic style) with or without sights.  If you're trying to line up the string with a non-dominant eye, you have to be absolutely sure that the dominant eye doesn't take over or you'll be off by a couple of feet (like freeman says, above).  If you are trying to shoot with only your non-dominant eye, unless you use a patch or some such device to prevent the dominant eye from taking over, every once in a while you're going to shoot a real clunker.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Landr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
I started out shooting right handed and didn't give my left eye dominance much thought. I went to a hunter safety class where a retired police officer was an assistant teacher. He didn't shoot bows but recommend I go lefty and that was good enough for me. My high left groups started hitting the spot. I thought there would be a coordination problem, but it's not an issue at all. Picked up some nice used bows too. Most everything else is right handed for me-- except tossing a frisbee...!

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Whatever feels natural.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©