3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: kids bow question,w/pics  (Read 472 times)

Offline bdawggy

• Trad Bowhunter
kids bow question,w/pics
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
ive been trying to make a three peice takedown bow for my nephew,not doing too well.i have broken three sets of limbs so far.i am not using any glass on this bow i have another set gluing right now and may be my last attempt before christmas.i was wondering if anyone has made a kids longbow from a board and if so some demensions or a close start would be helpful.bow has to be about 40 inches long since i already have the string.only has to be about 20lbs at most.any ideas or comments would be helpful.thanks,   :confused:    greg

Offline bdawggy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kids bow question,w/pics
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
ttt

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
you can get a piece of oak at Home Depot or such.It should be about 1-1 1/2 wide, anything over 1/2 thick will work.Put 4 layers of fiberglass sheet rock tape on the back with Tightbond 2.The bow needs to be as long as the kid is tall and never be pulled further than his draw.

I don't know how tall your nephew is but you can easily make another endless string from B-50 if needed.All you need is the B-50 and some dental floss or any thick thread for serving.the string jig can be as simple as two nails in a board or on a wall.

there is a lot of info that will help on the How To-Resources section here at Tradgang.

If you need some string material shoot me a PM and I'll mail you enough to make a string.

Might not be enough time before Christmas but good luck.I am sure your nephew would love a bow even a few days late.

Offline bdawggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
thanks rh clark.i have several boards including red oak cherry hickory purple heart and maple.i have made several board bows but nothing this short.was wondering if maybe i could start with a 1/2 in thick board or some help with limb width and how far to taper limbs etc.thanks for the reply,i might have to go with the old trial and error trick.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
I don't know how far you are pulling a 40 inch bow.I would guess that the more you are asking the wood to stress the wider the bow limbs need to be.I think up to about 2 inches.After that,if you still have too much stress you probably need to change the design.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
elk ninja had a build along for child's board bow, maybe someone could dig it up.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I PM'd him the elk ninja buildalong.  He liked it so hopefully we will see some pictures of the happy campers with their new sticks come Christmas time.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
one single piece of tonkin nodes on will make a great kid bow.  You simply have to tiller and glue on a handle.  Careful though, I made my daughter a three footer when she was three and she killed a rabbit with it.  You can get them from Zero let off

Offline bdawggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
thanks everyone for the responses.the link i was sent was a nice little build a long.bow is pretty cool for the little guys.luckily my three piece held together this time but am still gonna try the link i was sent for some other little relatives.is that you montana if so thanks again,greg.

Offline bdawggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
here is the bow i made for my nephew.purple heart limbs with maple accents,maple riser with leftover turkey call scraps accents,lol.40in long about 15 to 20lbs @17 to 18in draw.laminated limbs kept breaking so i went with a couple pieces of purpleheart.just needs a clear and im calling it done,thank goodness.i know the wingnuts are sexy but what can you do.sorry about the fuzzy pics,greg      

Offline bdawggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
two more kids bows.redoak with purpleheart tips.one is 25lbs and the other is 15lbs both at 20in.need sanding and a stain and will be done.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©