3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tbm wool article revisted  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
Tbm wool article revisted
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
No bickering please!   I too read Tbms article and after freezing on two very wet opening days I decided to buy some wool.. I bought a columbia coat... I then looked for a shirt on **** and most of the really nice heavy ones are going for $50.. So the other day my wife has me stop at the Salvation army and bingo.. For $5 I am the proud owner of a very thick warm unused wool shirt.. For pants I bought the swedish army wool pants. The weave in these pants is tighter then any I've seen sold today and I dont find them to itch at all.  They cost $39.. Coat $90 shipped so my grand total was $134..  All I can say is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tbm wool article revisted
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Wool works good  :thumbsup: , congrats on being warmer.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
I've been using swed. surplus pants for years and love them.  my only complaint is wind barrier.  seemed like every saturday this year (no sunday hunting up here in blue-law land) we've had 15 to 30mph winds and I hate...strike that...HATE being cold. couple times I wore my rain suit over or under my wool.  

at some point I'll save up enough to buy some good wool with a wind lining...but for now its the surplus or auction site for me....(I just bought a columbia bib set from auction and greatly anticipate wearing it this weekend to see how it stacks up agains the swedish pants)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by hickstick:
at some point I'll save up enough to buy some good wool with a wind lining...but for now its the surplus or auction site for me....(I just bought a columbia bib set from auction and greatly anticipate wearing it this weekend to see how it stacks up agains the swedish pants)
Be careful about what you buy. Some of the high end wool jackets with "wind-proof" liners aren't very wind-proof at all.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
thanks for the heads up jason....any suggestions?   keep going with the rain gear?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
not such a fan of the swedish army surplus wool pants.  Got a pair from Sportsmansguide.com and really liked them at first.  Super comfortable and warm.  However, the crotch kept ripping out.  I finally tossed them.  Bought a pair of thick Edie Bauer wool pants off of fleabay.  Love 'em.  They weigh about 10 lbs!  Heavy duty stuff.  Got them really cheap too.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
Got a question for you guys on this subject.  I was looking at a local retailer at the Columbia wool clothing and looked at the tag.  It's only like 60-70% wool, and recycled wool at that.  Is this why KOM and other high end products are so much higher in price?  Also how is the performance of the Columbia stuff comapratively, and where do you look for the swedish army clothing at?  I have searched for low end stuff here at Salvation Army, etc.. to no avail.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Flatlander

You got it.  SI, KOM, Gray Wolf are madfe from virgin wool, not recycled.  Big difference in price and performance.

I have SI and use it exclusively.  I bought a set of Columbia for literally nothing.  $20 for bibs and $10 for a coat.  It's good given that I paid $30 for the whole shebang.  But when it's cold I wear the SI.
Otto

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
That article has me looking for wool....I know thats what my dad and his hunting buddies used back in the day. I hate being cold too, so if ZI can find something to cut the wind, I will hopefully be wearing it next year with some wool.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Wool, hum you could write a whole book on the subject.  There are so many variables to the finished product that will add or reduce cost to the garment.  First thing you must know is that virgin wool simply means that the hair has never been sheared before.  This means that the natural end is thiner and softer to the touch then the sheared end.  It doesn't mean that the garment is any warmer then any other.  If you know that the garment is going to be an outer layer then you don't need to worry about its feel as there will be a layer between you and the garment.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
inhimwelive:

I've owed (German?) military issues wool pants for 20+ years. Purchased three pair at a surplus army discount store and at the time, they cost me virtually nothing- $15 I think. Your comment about the weave being extremely tight is very accurate. The other thing that's nice about them is that you can adjust the waist size UP or down (or UP!) by about six sizes. If you're at all like me- this is a feature that you might appreciate.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I too have a pair of German military issue pants that I've worn every winter season for the last 15 years.  Before that, my brother was using them (don't EVER tell him where they disappeared to!)  I've washed them a grand total of ONCE!  The weave is very tight, and dirt or blood that gets on them, once dry, just brushes off without leaving a stain.  

It's the only wool I've seen that actually does cut the wind.  With any of the jackets I've looked at I'd want a more windproof *outer* layer.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Interesting topic.

I've been on vacation the last few days. Day before yesterday I had my silk base layer, norwegion heavy weight wool thermals, and a cabela windshear wool top. I had a pair of chest waders on as well. Well in the predawn light, I slip in an underwater beaver run in a flooded area and took a good soaking in the 29 degree weather. I thought about returning but I said, aw heck....G Fred says I'll be okay with all that wool.

I was a little cooler than usual but I made it through the morning hunt just fine. Wool is tops!
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
The pants I have are swedish army the german ones dont have the buckles on the ankles.. I bought mine locally but there are many sites that sell them on the net..Even fleabay has them.. For me they run a bit small in the waste.. I wear a 36 but ended up with a size 40 so I could have room for longjohns.. They are warm and actually very comfortable.. This is the where I bought mine  http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/  They have many types of wool pants including codet.. I like the swedish for the tight weave and dull color..
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
My waist has gone to waste...

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
FWIW...I think wool in the rain is overrated.  I'd suggest anyone getting into serious rain or distance carry a waterproof parka of some type or slip over, etc.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Ps on the site it says his largest size is 38 however I know he has many pairs in size 40...

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
I like wool it's just so dang heavy and virtually un packable.  I have Surplus and Love it.  $20  I might get the Columbia stuff $140 for the pants and jacke together..!!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
I was not at all happy with the Columbia stuff.  It didn't last me one season.  I'd spend the money on good wool thermals.

As for the Swedish and German wool, you'll never get more value for your money.  That stuff is fantastic.  Buy them a size or two bigger so you can layer on some thermals.

Someone mentioned the crotch ripping on the Swedish wools.  I had the happen to two pair.  Sew them up with fishing line and you won't have that problem.  It's a cheap fix for what these pants offer for the price.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 02:26:00 AM »
I bought four pair the Swede pants for $10 a pair.  All the rest of my wool for cold conditions is imported Norweigen sweaters and Filson shirts and jackets.  For boots i am sold on the mukluks from Ely, MN.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©