INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Doc Ashby's surgery update- 12/26  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Doc Ashby's surgery update- 12/26
« on: December 15, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
I've tried to keep the prayer warriors updated on our own Doc Ashby's scary brush with partial paralysis that forced him to come home from Aussie land to get surgery here under his VA Insurance.

Here's what he sent out...and then a note when I wrote back.

If you choose to send him well wishes, please note he's unable to sit or stand or anything long before spasms set in...which is good news... as it means the nerves are back working...but they're really MAD at him for being pinched off all these months!

Ed's note(s)
Dave, If you have the time, please do update the prayer thread for me, using the info on the email, and stress to each and all how very, very grateful I am for each and every prayer sent. THe were what got me through. It's just too physically hard for me to write even the amount here before muscle cramps force me to get up and move.

Ed
----------------------------------------
I got back from the hospital to O.L.’s  late yesterday evening. Though there are some lingering anesthesia after-effects still to be dealt with and those muscles in my legs that have not received a nerve impulse in 4+ months are protesting GREATLY at being asked to work again (I’m suffering waves of massive “Charlie horses” to multiple muscle groups simultaneously, and can’t maintain any sitting, standing or walking position for very long before the cramps start) I am delighted to report that the surgery looks like it will be a total success – beyond my wildest hopes.

Every muscle group that was not working now works, and I have full range of motion with both legs. As for the post-surgical pain, and is as to be expected, the incision in back is very, very sore, but is a pain that feels precisely like a severe deep tissue muscle bruise when I move those lower-back muscles. From the instant I awoke after the surgery every single bit of the former back pain was totally gone. While in the hospital the kept me hooked up to a morphine pump that I could use at will (every 15 minutes if need be) to control any pain I never needed to use it, or any other pain medication: not one single time! The greatest pain level I have felt since the surgery has been MARKEDLY LESS that the lowest level of pain I was experiencing before the surgery.

I anticipate a 100% recovery. Those muscles that have just been along for the ride all these months just have to be strengthened. The biggest obstacle at the moment is that my oxygen absorption level is very, very low and a walk of 30 to 40 yards causes me to become very light-headed. They kept me on oxygen the entire time I was in the hospital and considered sending me home with oxygen, but the anesthesiologist felt that, since my body had reached a point that it would “re-normalize” the oxygen level by ceasing activity I might actually recover from this post-anesthesia effect much faster by just pushing the body’s own response – do activity until I notice the initial ‘light headiness’ then stopping all activity until the oxygen level returns to normal.

The surgery took 7 ½ hours ‘in theater’, and I was under anesthesia a bit longer than that. They did some blood transfusion(s) (they never would tell my precisely how many) during the surgery, and two more transfusions post-surgery. I do know that the 2 post-surgical transfusions were done to boost my hemoglobin level, to assist in oxygen absorption.

The anesthesia left my mouth, throat and lungs very, very irritated, and where the tube was taped in place left sores on my face; all of which is nearly healed. I’m also still coughing up ‘gunk’ from my lungs periodically, but the more of it I cough up the more my lung capacity is increasing (they gave me a small instrument that is used to both exercises the lung function and measure the lung volume I can inhale) and I’m making good progress each day.

That’s all the ‘highlights’. I feel I’m off to a great start. If nothing goes wrong along the way, I expect an absolute full recovery. I’ll update everyone whenever there’s anything worthwhile to report.

Ed
p.s.  I had to write this as a word document and copy-past it to this email so that I could write it in segments. I can’t sit at the computer very long before the muscle cramps set in.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Doc Ashby's surgery update- 12/26
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
thanks for posting the update Dave. im thrilled to hear the surgery went well iv been thinking about Ed over the last few weeks and im very glade to hear he's doing well and on the way to a good recovery. You a tuff guy Ed hang in there and keep at it and you'l be chasing buff and testing arrows again in no time, anything you need just give us a shout.

cheers Andy ivy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »
Ed, I am glad to read of your successful surgery. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
Prayers for a full recovery

God Bless

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »
Praise God! Prayers continue for continued healing, wisdom to do what is necessary to help in your recovery, and health to the complaining muscles. May O.L. and Juli be blessed for being such good friends.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Dr. A.

God bless and do your rehab faithfully.

Joe

Ps.  8 months,1 week and 4 days 'til bow season.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Glad to hear your surgery went well Ed. My prayers will be with you on this long road. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
Praying for you Dr. Ashby. I still need to buy you cup of joe.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Prayers from our home Ed.  Now don't be overdoing it during the recovery period.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »
Prayers for you, Dr. Ashby.  Blessings for a speedy and thorough recovery.  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
Got an email today from Ed...

"I'm doing as much exercises as I can, and all is going very, very good.

Ed

Can't find anything better'n hearing that! IT's a great present for the holiday!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
sure is thats good news

Andy Ivy

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
Talked with Doc Ashby at OL's house this afternoon.

He was in good spirits! Very thankful that the spasms have subsided some, but still gets them.

He has been minding the docs and doing as told, but working hard to recuperate within their guidelines. He happily reports that he uses the walker still, but has gotten to the point where he can negotiate from one end of OL's house to the other using a big "walking stick."

Next checkup is 12/31. Perhaps we could keep him in prayer for that! He spoke something of some electro stim process to help the bone graft grow quicker...that should be interesting!  :eek:  

He figured he'd get another nerve stim test to see how they're functioning...but from what he sees, it should be very high nerve transmission now.

Overall, he's very pleased. Hopes the numbness in toes etc. comes back more and the spasms continue to diminsh...but overall, he's tickled and grateful to God for his progress to date.

And for our prayers!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
any updates Dave?

Andy Ivy

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Not directly, Andy.

I have heard that the doc appointment for our own "Doc Ed" went pretty well... apparently the recovery is going well from the surgeon's standpoint. Last I heard, there is residual numbness in one foot... but things are progressing slowly with a lot of hard work.

Now will be the time to renew our prayers. I hear from others who've had back surgery, that the long recovery time can be frustrating and as difficult as dealing with the pain prior to the surgery.

Prayers for Ed to keep pushing within approved limits and that the Lord smile on Ed with continued progress to keep him encouraged and hope-filled, progressing through full recovery!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Met Dr. Ed at a shoot in Ga. last year truly a down to earth guy that just sat around and answered lot's of questions about f.o.c. and such
with everyone that came by including myself my prayer is for a full and swift recovery thanks Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Doc reports he's getting outside now, walking small distances several times a day.  He continues to gain strength but prays that the numbness in his one hip, leg and foot dissapate so that he can walk without intense concentration with each step that side.

Doc, Keep the Son in your eyes!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©