3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AMO Length/String Length/Brace Height  (Read 460 times)

Offline BigAl

• Trad Bowhunter
AMO Length/String Length/Brace Height
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
I got a refinished Bear bow from a friend; thus it has no info written on it e.g. AMO length, model, #age. He said it's a 58", 48#. I searched here on how to determine the AMO length and, after measureing from string groove to string groove down the centerline of the bow came up with 57 1/2", so I guess that could be a 58" AMO bow. Then I ordered a string for a 58" AMO and it came at 55". I installed it on the bow, figuring on letting it stretch awhile; the 55" string results in a brace height of 5". After stretching for a few days I twisted it back up to 5" again. Does this sound like a "proper" brace height? Generally when I see brace height discussed it's on the order of 7 1/2" to 8". Perhaps one of you has a good idea just what model this bow is and knows what the string length and subsequent brace height should be. Thanks.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AMO Length/String Length/Brace Height
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
The problem with ordering a string by a bow's AMO length is a lot of bows don't go by AMO specs, and unless the string is pre-stretched it's going to settle in a good bit--especially dacron.  Even pre-stretched, it's going to settle some.

Most of the old Bear bows I've owned got a string 4" shorter than the AMO, with the string measured under tension.

7-8" should be about right for the brace (measured from the deepest part of the grip).

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©